NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Default help with Burke photo

Hey, all,
I just picked up this Burke photo of Feller (4x6 with Burke stamp).
I was wondering if anyone could help me date it, as I am not familiar with the uniforms from Cleveland.
At first I thought it was '36 but maybe later '30s or early 40s?
Thanks for the help!
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feller-burke photo.jpg (39.5 KB, 112 views)
Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 PM
Todd Schultz

You might want to look at Marc Okkonen's database of uniforms:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...ar&increment=9

While not foolproof, it is usually pretty accurate. From there it looks to me like your Feller photo was taken with him in a 1937 uniform, although Okkonen has the Tribe wearing dark rather than white undershirts that year.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 PM

Thanks, Todd.
I had seen a related site. What threw me was the stitching on the sleeves.
But maybe I am being too literal...
Brian
Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 PM
Todd Schultz

Well I'm certainly no expert, but I picked 1937 because of the 3 vs. 2 stripes on the socks, and because it looks like '36 used the rounder-looking "C" on the cap. I'm not sure what you meant by the sleeves, as I don't see anything in your photo that points either way--maybe you could elaborate. It does seem that it could be from '38 as well, although the socks look more like the '37 version. I did not see the Indians using any pinstriped roadies after that year, so it seems safe that this was taken in the '30's. Nice photo.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 PM
Mark Macrae

How about the Burke stamp on the reverse. Many of the images were produced for a few decades, and there was an evolution in the stamps and paper stock over time
Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 AM
Don Stokes

I would say 1937-38 . Here he is in 1938 with the sleeves cut and wearing white undershirt . 1937-38 they wore 3 white bands on black stockings.

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/...alth:rr171z009
Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 AM

Thanks a lot, guys! I was referring to the stitching on the sleeves from the website Todd sent that are absent in the photo. But 1938 looks like a match.

As far as the stamps on the back, it is identical to the stamp on a Gehrig Burke photo that I have but also similar to one on a Greenberg photo from 1947.

I would agree that the photo is from 37-38, which is what I was thinking. Not quite rookie year but close.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burke photos-b.jpg (65.6 KB, 65 views)