NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Set builders: What condition do you shoot for?

I am interested in building 60s baseball sets. While I haven't quite settled on one, I am thinking about 1966 or 1967 and all the associated high number craziness. About what condition do you 60s set builders shoot for? I have built some 60s football sets, and there are a lot of exmt cards in those sets. However, the 60s baseball sets have 600 cards. That is a lot of cards (including high numbers), and my budget probably couldn't sustain that...or it would take forever. I am not looking to do beaters either, but I am thinking I will have to give in on condition to finish these bigger sets. I still don't want creases, and my OCD might do me in if I attempted 66, given the centering. Are you guys overly choosy?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I am interested in building 60s baseball sets. While I haven't quite settled on one, I am thinking about 1966 or 1967 and all the associated high number craziness. About what condition do you 60s set builders shoot for? I have built some 60s football sets, and there are a lot of exmt cards in those sets. However, the 60s baseball sets have 600 cards. That is a lot of cards (including high numbers), and my budget probably couldn't sustain that...or it would take forever. I am not looking to do beaters either, but I am thinking I will have to give in on condition to finish these bigger sets. I still don't want creases, and my OCD might do me in if I attempted 66, given the centering. Are you guys overly choosy?

For '66 or '67, my main focus would be on centering with Ex+ to Ex/Mt corners...maybe Ex on the high numbers.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 PM
Shane

I do "presentable low grade". I have been able to finish many more sets than I would if I was too picky. That's just me, though.

I have been able to complete my Topps sets (base and update/traded) from 2017 down to 1965....and I have 1964 about 2/3 done.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 AM

Robert,

That's a good question. Personally since I'm a collector, for those years, I probably look for presentable VG condition. A very minor crease and slightly softer corners are ok (something that looks good from the distance of you viewing them in pages, etc.)

I do likes the look of the 1967 set, nice player selection as well. If I was building a post war set, that's the one I'd go for. Of Course, you can't go wrong with 1966.

I am in prewar mode right now, for those sets I settle on condition much less.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:48 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Frankhardy and Jason, you guys hit on what I was trying to get at. These are just for me as a collector. I have come to enjoy collecting and set building more than I can say. I have reasoned to myself that if I would give in on condition a little, I could move so much more quickly. What David said about ex and exmt is my default. I know it sounds nuts, but that would be a hard default for me to change. I know if I adjusted to say vgex to some ex, it would make a pretty big difference in the money I was spending and, therefore, the progress would accelerate.

What I need to do is pick a set and build it a little lower grade than I am used to and kind of try that on and see how it feels. Thanks for the input, guys.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

NM/MT for modern,
EX/MT for post-war,
EX for pre-war

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Emlily Ell.is

I'm not condition sensitive at all, so Ex will work just fine for me on any/all sets.

I'm not the type that has to have NM-Mt for my 1950s-1960s sets.

As far as trading, I don't ever trade anything with creases/paper loss. If I get any cards that have pin holes or crease/bends or paper loss, they go straight into the trash. I don't want those, so wouldn't trade those either.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

nm or better for 1976 on

exmnt or better for 1968-75

I don't do sets before 68. Too expensive
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Centering

In the 80s centering wasn’t such a big deal. Now it’s an incredibly big deal. If you collect raw sets you could give a little on the centering you could put together great looking sets without breaking the bank. IMHO
Old 01-23-2018, 12:06 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
NM/MT for modern,

EX/MT for post-war,

EX for pre-war

I look for VG to VG/EX for pre-war, otherwise same...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:32 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Set Collecting

I collect Detroit Tiger team sets. 1975 and up EX-MT. 1954 to 1975 I try to get nice cards with fairly sharp corners, which I would say most of the time would be PSA 5-6 if I got them graded.

My main focus is Post Cereal and Jell-O 1961-1963. I am particular about condition. I will always buy cards that are cut outside the border. I try to buy cards that have full black border and will buy cards that are cut nice with some black borders. Since I am building master sets, I may buy some that have creases or soft corners if they are from the not popular cereal or Jell-O boxes. I don't care if the cards have writing or glue stains on the blank back since it does not deter from the front of the card. (Glue stains from the factory identify which box the cards were on.)

As far as the 62 Jell-O cards. I buy them if they are cut straight, as they are extremely difficult to get with black borders.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Bob Davies

Personally I'll give a little on centering if the condition is nice. I know it's not the norm, but I'd rather have a card in slightly better condition, than something beaten and centered. Some of the best bargains I have found are PSA 8 (OC), especially if the OC is more top to bottom. They will cost me less than a straight 6 at times.

Like others, as a set collector, I have some sets from the 30's that are VG at best. It really depends on the set, how much I am prepared to spend, and if I would be happy with the result. Nothing wrong with a good run of EX-MT sets from the 60's. They look beautiful, and IMHO will still hold their value.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:55 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Personally I'll give a little on centering if the condition is nice. I know it's not the norm, but I'd rather have a card in slightly better condition, than something beaten and centered. Some of the best bargains I have found are PSA 8 (OC), especially if the OC is more top to bottom. They will cost me less than a straight 6 at times.

Like others, as a set collector, I have some sets from the 30's that are VG at best. It really depends on the set, how much I am prepared to spend, and if I would be happy with the result. Nothing wrong with a good run of EX-MT sets from the 60's. They look beautiful, and IMHO will still hold their value.
Bob, I have shopped around a little more since starting this thread. The 60s sets have some good value in the ex+/exmt range for sure.