NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Grading idiocy

Clear that the focus on grading has truly gutted the hobby of its heart and soul. Has led to endless manipulation and fraud, not to mention gouging by the PSA and SGC and the others. It used to be about more than grading but I guess that the world we live in. Depressing to say the least.

On a totally unrelated note, I am looking to buy a nice Gehrig WWG, grade 5 or higher only. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Scott

Is your post satirical?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

All that stuff went on before grading.

It just costs more with grading.

Steve B
Old 02-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We need grading....
Before and after.....(can't believe soaking did this!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (70.7 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg pe901youngpsa2a2.jpg (79.0 KB, 400 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-19-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We need grading....
Before and after.....(can't believe soaking did this!!)
Lol, that Young came up in my saved searches...I told my son it was the rare transparent nipples version.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Grading is better for the layman than it was before, I think for the more informed folks it's negligible. The value of PSA over raw or ever other companies shows the influence of less informed investors buying in to the hobby for profit.

Will it stay this way? If the profits are there to be made then yes.

Right now those folks are buying a brand name for the security they feel the grade gives.

I remember the 80's and everyone walking around with those silly lucite gridded card measurement devices because trimming was so rampant. New collectors were frustrated after getting burned and the grading companies filled a void.

The real reason for all this is the focus on condition by the majority of collectors. With the money involved people will find a new way to work the system every time the old way is discovered...it's just an inevitability.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 02-19-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:21 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

The hole in the throat reminds me of "Terri" in those stop smoking commercials.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

One hell of a soak . I wish I could get a soak like that !
Old 02-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
On a totally unrelated note, I am looking to buy a nice Gehrig WWG, grade 5 or higher only. Thanks.
That's a really tough card. Looks like there are only 10 examples graded between PSA and SGC, although a number of those could be either crack-outs or cross-overs.

One of the biggest problems you'll find in locating high-grade examples of the 1936 World Wide Gehrig is that he was extremely well-known at the time (unlike Dimaggio). That means his cards usually received quite a bit of handling. In all likelihood, you're probably looking at a card where there are less than 50 EX or better examples in all of cartephilia.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Okay forgive my ignorance Leon ... are those the same two cards or were you just making a joke?

(If that's true, I had no clue cards could be doctored THAT well.)

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 02-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Okay forgive my ignorance Leon ... are those the same two cards or were you just making a joke?

(If that's true, I had no clue cards could be doctored THAT well.)

Cheers,
Patrick
joke
Old 02-19-2017, 09:30 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Hang tight, Steve. I'm sure a PSA 7 will appear on eBay as a BIN for $120k at some point soon.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:30 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Same card, except the PSA 7 was cracked out and damaged to get the rarer PSA 1 variation. I think it should have been Authentic-Altered instead!

No, it's a completely different card.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

I don't think that grading is the problem. I think that collectors mindlessly buying flips over cards is the problem. We can blame SGC or PSA all we want, but guys will still pay 10x the amount for a subpar 5 than they would for a GORGEOUS 2. We base too much of our pricing on the grade of the card over the appearance of the card. I can't understand why (for example) a psa 4 Goudey Ruth is worth more than a much nicer 2. If population is about the same, what really makes the 4 more valuable? The Flip? It is not graders, but rather, it is our grade-worship that is to blame.
Here are 3 of my t206 cobbs. A 4.5, and two 3s. These cards are as nice as any 7 or 8 and at a small fraction of the price. These cards would be worth over 10x what they are worth if they were in the right flip (and they look the part). Then we wonder why people alter cards. Our grade-worship has made the flip more valuable than the card. Remember when we just liked buying great looking cards like these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5B381F9A-C687-4267-A1EF-BFFCF8D82F84.jpg (67.8 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by orly57; 02-19-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I don't think that grading is the problem. I think that collectors mindlessly buying flips over cards is the problem. We can blame SGC or PSA all we want, but guys will still pay 10x the amount for a subpar 5 than they would for a GORGEOUS 2. We base too much of our pricing on the grade of the card over the appearance of the card. I can't understand why (for example) a psa 4 Goudey Ruth is worth more than a much nicer 2. If population is about the same, what really makes the 4 more valuable? The Flip? It is not graders, but rather, it is our grade-worship that is to blame.
Here are 3 of my t206 cobbs. A 4.5, and two 3s. These cards are as nice as any 7 or 8 and at a small fraction of the price. These cards would be worth over 10x what they are worth if they were in the right flip (and they look the part). Then we wonder why people alter cards. Our grade-worship has made the flip more valuable than the card. Remember when we just liked buying great looking cards like these?
Those are great looking cards Orlando. You might want to have a Joe Orlando buddy turn it in for you to be graded. I'm sure these cards would qualify for the friends and family treatment.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Paul

Quote:
Those cards are exactly why we need grading. I'd hate to pay big money for those cards only to find a hairline crease upon closer examination.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

I agree. Like I said, grading isn't the Problem. If you prefer to pay 20k for an identical card that doesn't have a microscopic defect, then you as a collector should be protected.

Last edited by orly57; 02-19-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Leon, OMG, did the soaking remove Cy's football helmet? That variation was very special.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Worship

Grade worship!

Brilliant , and spot on assessment of the culture that we are in, Orly.

Of course, we are smart collectors on this board.
We know what a nice card looks like. About 1 in 10 posts is about grading complaints or grading system issues, but we still know which cards are nice despite the assigned TPG.

When we utilize the TPG, we will often disagree with their paid opinion.
That's no different than disagreeing with a mail order dealer from the old days, or the hopeful listing description of a eBay dealer.

I love that cards come in all different grades, low and high. I like them low.
Not only are the low ones cheaper, but there are fewer disagreements on P/F/G cards.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Yup, it's POOR

IMG_0064.JPG
Still one of my favorite cards, even if it's POOR

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:16 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
I agree. Like I said, grading isn't the Problem. If you prefer to pay 20k for an identical card that doesn't have a microscopic defect, then you as a collector should be protected.
I agree with most comments so far, though I think what Paul said is no way stating a preference toward paying 10X-20x for higher grade cards. I think the point is that grading does help the buyer weed out some of the scammers like Battlefield who would have listed those Cobbs raw, as "NM+++++ EXTRAORDINARY!!!! BLAZER!!!"

Your cards are absolutely gorgeous Orlando, no question. The "3" simply informs a perspective buyer there is some sort of otherwise hidden flaw. That said, I think most of us here would be more than happy to pay the lower price for those cards (thank a 6 or 7), and live with their "flaws".
Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I know. And that is precisely how I read the comment Ian. I actually agree 100% with him. I wasn't referring to Paul in particular when I wrote "If you prefer...." I meant that grading companies are meant to protect the high grade collector in that fashion. Hope my comment didn't come across any way other than that.
Look, if we all had huge bucks, we would all collect 8s,9's, and 10's. I didn't put up my cards to compare them to 8's. I put them up because as nice as they are, grade-worshippers would pay more for an ugly 5 than for a gorgeous 3. And that was the point of my post anyway.

Last edited by orly57; 02-19-2017 at 09:21 PM.