NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Another REA Question

For some reason (my USPS delivery guy has a hernia?) I just received my REA catalog today, despite the fact that I placed a marker bid on an item the day the auction opened for bidding. Most of the time when that happens, I just search online for the Old Judge stuff because that is my focus. But with catalog finally in hand, I decided to do the page-by-page flip through. I still love that smell!

I still just focused on the 19th century stuff since I don't think I've bought a non-19th century card (other than some modern Yankee stuff) in probably 10 years. I used to be more interested in general collecting, but once I realized I could never complete a HOFer set and then fell in love with Old Judges I pretty much have tunnel vision. There was a great selection of N173s in the REA catalog, which I already knew (none of which, unfortunately, I wanted), but there were some other nice items like the 1886 Louisville team Cabinet, the 1892 Columbus team cabinet, the 1888 Des Moines team cabinets, and the 1888 Syracuse Stars team cabinet. The page that really caught my eye, though, was the one with the Kalamazoo Bats Dude Esterbrook.

Despite being a 19th century aficionado, I never really paid much attention to the KBats because they were always too expensive for me, but the pictured Esterbrook was hard to ignore. After reading the writeup, if it truly is a one-of-one, that is pretty rarified air. As I already stated, the little I did know about non-19th century cards I forgot long ago, but that Esterbrook writeup got me thinking (as did Greg Mitchell's post on the T3s): what other generally distributed cards in this REA auction are one-of-ones or at least significant rarities (i.e. no more than a handful known)? So, no over prints, ghost images, etc. I'm not sure we should even consider cabinets, but I could be convinced otherwise.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

You should put your postman in contact with a good attorney. If McDonalds can be sued for their coffee being hot I’m sure REA can be sued for their heavy catalogs causing postal hernias.
I can’t shed any light on the twentieth century cards in the auction as I am pretty ignorant on that topic but I can add some thoughts on REA’s nineteenth century cards. The Esterbrook Kalamazoo Bats is one of two known. There is also one in an almost complete collection of Kalamazoo Bats owned by an old time collector. If you exclude cabinets, the only other 19th century card with similar rarity that I recall is the S F Hess N338-1 McGinty Steals Second two player card which I believe is also one of two known, with the other card residing in the collection of the Kalamazoo Bats Esterbrook owner. Both these cards might as well be considered unique as this collector will not part with them.
Hopefully, someone knowledgeable will chime in on the twentieth century cards.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

McDonalds used to require their franchisees to serve coffee at a ridiculous 190 degrees. Insanely hot to cover up the crappy taste. If a cup of that fell on a loved one and gave them third degree burns on their genetalia requiring multiple surgeries I’m sure you’d have no problem with that.
And they don’t serve their coffee that hot any more.
Damm lawyers causing problems again.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
You should put your postman in contact with a good attorney. If McDonalds can be sued for their coffee being hot I’m sure REA can be sued for their heavy catalogs causing postal hernias.
I know it was just a joke, but you really should read about this. A 79 year old woman had to have skin graft surgery after this, and originally tried to settle out of court for basically the cost of her medical care, $20,000. McDonald's was very stupid here. I used to be a Barista, and we had to time how long we left coffee on a warmer so it didn't get to hot. Sorry for the interruption.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com

Last edited by edjs; 10-20-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: correcting mis typed word
Old 10-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
I know it was just a joke, but you rtea;;y should read about this. A 79 year old woman had to have skin graft surgery after this, and originally tried to settle out of court for basically the cost of her medical care, $20,000. McDonald's was very stupid here. I used to be a Barista, and we had to time how long we left coffee on a warmer so it didn't get to hot. Sorry for the interruption.
Maybe you missed the news, but no one actually has to know anything anymore about what they are talking about. You pick up some piece of half baked information from the ticker at the bottom on a TV screen or maybe overhear it at a dinner party or bar. You can repeat the same wrong stories over and over and then when someone finally calls you on it at a press conference you just wave your hand and say " . . . well someone told me that was true." Works like a charm.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-20-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I was serious; the postman probably has a good case. 🤑