NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
D@ve R1cks

Default OT: Manti Te'o

He's at least got 1 really, really big fan right now: Lance Armstrong.

Pretty crazy story!

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-te...ason-is-a-hoax

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...pparently-hoax
Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
N.ate A.dams

Yea, saw this tonight, at first I thought he was at the head of the hoax. I was relieved to see that that at least wasn't true.

I don't exactly understand what was in his mind to never attend a funeral when someone he treasured dearly passed away, even though, from what I understand, he never met her...

I dunno, regardless, it's not good and kind of ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Yea, saw this tonight, at first I thought he was at the head of the hoax. I was relieved to see that that at least wasn't true.
As far as I can tell he still might be responsible. Why did you rule that out?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 PM
N.ate A.dams

I suppose optimism is the reason I ruled it out, but as you see later in that post, I'm still rather cynical towards the situation.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Doug Goodman

But, he told the press that he met her after a game with Stanford...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Isaac Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
But, he told the press that he met her after a game with Stanford...
He did say that, and his dad claimed to have met her. So freakin weird.

If you are going to lie, lie big!!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

We should start a poll as to where Te'o will go in the draft now. We saw in the Alabama game that he can't tackle NFL type runners and now this. I say maybe the third round.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I say he was bumped up on the Oakland Raiders draft board lol.

I think he had to have a say in it.. His dad doesn't help his case either about how they "met at a Stanford game" then back tracked.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Greg

Tim Tebow releases statement assuring fans that he's never slept with any of his imaginary girlfriends.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

One of the weirdest stories I have ever heard.....
Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Daryl

Tebow cried
LSU tried
Te'o lied
His fake girlfriend died

Roll Tide
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Tebow cried
LSU tried
Te'o lied
His fake girlfriend died

Roll Tide
Not a Bama fan... but lol, this is classic!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
JB

Default Say it aint so....Te'o

Nice! Damage control from ND, im sure he is just an innocent victim here (Lol)

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Adam

As a Notre Dame fan I was pretty shocked by this news but to be completely honest I always had this weird feeling when Id hear interviews with him talking about her. He never talked about hanging out with her and no special memories aside from phone calls.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 AM

College guys do stupid stuff, if the media had everything I ever said or did in College under the microscope I would have fallen off the draft board completely! Probably just a practical joke that got blown up to the point of no return (thats what it sound slike to me).

And honestly now.... How many of you havent lied to get girls, his was just imaginary!

Rhys
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM

he's a liar plan and simple and what i dont understand what he gained from it? media attention or what but thats really messed up.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Hey, I lie all the time, I'm lying right now.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

ummm what about the AZ NFL player (Full Back) saying "she does exist" and that hes friends with her and her family
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Ja,mie B.

Who knows what his reasons were, or whatever, all I know is that it has nothing to do with football or what his capabilities are on the field. If he slipped in the draft then I would certainly take him. Players slip for all kinds of absurd reasons. Russell Wilson was one inch too short to be a good NFL QB, remember that one?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Russell Wilson was one inch too short to be a good NFL QB, remember that one?
Russell Wilson is listed at 5 feet 11 inches. The typical QB in the NFL is 6-2 to 6-3. I'm not saying I agree with his previous assessment, but NFL GMs cannot be faulted for not taking him earlier.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Tao showed that he can't tackle NFL style backs in his game against Alabama. However, because of his leadership qualities/personal integrity he would have probably still been drafted in the first half of the first round. Now, with the latter in question, he will probably drop like a stone. Another blow to the Notre Dame blarney.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Russell Wilson is listed at 5 feet 11 inches. The typical QB in the NFL is 6-2 to 6-3. I'm not saying I agree with his previous assessment, but NFL GMs cannot be faulted for not taking him earlier.
Drew Brees was listed at 6'0" (he's really 5'11" and 1/2). Brees had just broken the record for most passing yards in a season, four months before Wilson was drafted. Wilson is probably less than one inch shorter than Brees. That was one instance where the fans were a lot smarter than the GM's, there were a lot of fans high on Wilson.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Tao showed that he can't tackle NFL style backs in his game against Alabama. However, because of his leadership qualities/personal integrity he would have probably still been drafted in the first half of the first round. Now, with the latter in question, he will probably drop like a stone. Another blow to the Notre Dame blarney.
Word has it that Te'o knew the story was about to blow up before the game and just had a horrific game. So I don't think it's evidence that he can't tackle in the NFL. These guys are human and clearly his mind wasn't in it.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Jake

Quote:
Drew Brees was listed at 6'0" (he's really 5'11" and 1/2). Brees had just broken the record for most passing yards in a season, four months before Wilson was drafted. Wilson is probably less than one inch shorter than Brees. That was one instance where the fans were a lot smarter than the GM's, there were a lot of fans high on Wilson.
For every example of a short player succeeding there is another example of a short player failing.

In recent memory Seneca Wallace, Troy Smith, Colt McCoy and Pat White come to mind.

There are a lot of fans high on Tim Tebow, I think we can consider this a wash.

Always up for a trade.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Ja,mie B.

How about Jeff George and Ryan Leaf? How'd it go for those guys?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

this story is a joke...what in the hell was this guy thinking? Publicity? Yea, you got it now pal.....
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Jake

Quote:
How about Jeff George and Ryan Leaf? How'd it go for those guys?
How about we ask John Elway, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Joe Namath, Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning?

And these are just off the top of my head.

Always up for a trade.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
Mike Dugan

Brent Musberger thinks his fake girlfriend is/was hot!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Miguel

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this story is getting the news coverage it is. Is it kind of weird? Yes. Do millions of people do much weirder things every day? Yes. Is there any crime being committed or was anyone wronged in any way? No.

Meanwhile, our soldiers are dying, our government is completely broken and nobody can pay attention longer than five minutes so we can fix it, etc., etc.

America....what a country!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani0100 View Post
Is there any crime being committed or was anyone wronged in any way? No.
I could be wrong, but they used the pictures of a different person without their permission which may be illegal. They could be considered public domain though since they were on Facebook.

In terms of someone being wronged, yeah over a million were. The American viewing public was doped into believeing this lie. We were feeling sorry for a person who we should have in fact shunned. Donations were made in this persons name that did not exist. Yes, they went to a good cause whether she existed or not, but they did it on false pretenses that she was real. It should have been axiomatic that she was real. What, do we have to question now whether someone we haven't met in the flesh is real? It is people like this are leading to the degradation of our society.

Is this a big story? Yes. Does it matter in a context larger then itself? Yes. Did Manti do something nefarious? It's very likely. Will I keep answering my own questions? Yes.

There was a decent documentary that had a situation similar to this called Catfish, I believe it was mentioned in the Deadspin article.

Always up for a trade.

Last edited by Jlighter; 01-17-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
How about we ask John Elway, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Joe Namath, Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning?

And these are just off the top of my head.

Sure, it's an advantage to be tall. Just not a prerequisite, that's my point. It's also an advantage to be accurate, evasive, have great field vision, large hands, leadership abilities, etc. Wilson was a case where his assets were overlooked due to one small disadvantage that he has so far overcome.

I would say that having large hands is just as important as being tall. Ask Kurt Warner, who fumbled so often due to his small hands. Some games, Warner had five fumbles. Wilson has very large hands for his size. It is just one of those things that is important but people don't think about.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Alan U

Now I wish he would have won the Heisman just to make any scandal bigger
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Not to digress too much from Te'o, but a QB's height is completely overrated.. as are many other measureables. If a guy is smaller but knows the offense inside and out, can keep cool during the play, has a live accurate arm, and can move when need be, he'll be able to see and get the ball out. BTW- Montana, though listed at 6'2" was probably about 6' and very very skinny.. but he was a smart, tough, supremely confident leader, and mobile when need be.. and also like Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder. Brady, who I got to play against in HS, was a 6th rounder who backed up Scott Dreisbach then Brian Griese, and then had to split time with Drew Hensen at Michigan.. his big NFL break came due to a Bledsoe punctured lung. Who knows if he'd have gotten another chance?? Favre was 2nd rounder who ATL traded to Green Bay after his rookie year. Rodgers, had zero D-I offers out of HS and played JC ball.

It's a very non exact science and is impossible to predict who will succeed and who won't. Even the guys above who seem like no doubter superstar types all had college coaches, GMs, coordinators along the way that didn't see what they could become. I think having measureables gets you in the door easier.. see 6'8" Dan McGwire, or Jamarcus Russell.. but to make it, they have to put ridiculous study and work, not really ever get discouraged (much harder than it sounds), be incredible leaders of large groups of very alfa type men, and have generally unbreakable stones... see Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and now Russell Wilson.

What is amazing to me is that for every Russell Wilson or Tom Brady that defies the odds, there's 50 guys just as talented that didn't get that break they needed, or were blocked out by a narrow minded coach/GM and are either journeyman back ups, or out of the league entirely.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Jake

In football there aren't many measurables to determine a QBs skill, especially in College. Height is one finite measurement, and height is an obvious advantage. If Jeff Ireland had taken Wilson instead of Tannehill in the first round, and Wilson was a flop, Ireland would be fired. Wilson was a "larger" risk.

Always up for a trade.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
In football there aren't many measurables to determine a QBs skill, especially in College. Height is one finite measurement, and height is an obvious advantage. If Jeff Ireland had taken Wilson instead of Tannehill in the first round, and Wilson was a flop, Ireland would be fired. Wilson was a "larger" risk.
I see. So the best GM's are the ones who draft players with certain measurables in order to prevent themselves from getting fired in case the pick is a bust.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
I see. So the best GM's are the ones who draft players with certain measurables in order to prevent themselves from getting fired in case the pick is a bust.
I think there's plenty of truth to that, though "best" is completely subjective. I think a lot of coaches and GMs do the safe, thing.. make the safe pick, put the safer player in their lineup, especially if everyone else in the organization backs the move. They're humans who want to keep their jobs. Pete Carroll has always bugged the crap out of me, but he showed some serious guts giving the job to Wilson over Flynn who'd just received a huge contract (still no idea why they ever gave him that deal). Had he given Flynn the job and Flynn floundered, he would have at least had backing of the GM and owner with that decision.. Wilson was a total roll of the dice. I love that some guys have guts to do what everyone else tells them is wrong, especially when they can pull it off.. and in the process chip away at old paradigms.

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-18-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: re wording
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani0100 View Post
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this story is getting the news coverage it is. Is it kind of weird? Yes. Do millions of people do much weirder things every day? Yes. Is there any crime being committed or was anyone wronged in any way? No.

Meanwhile, our soldiers are dying, our government is completely broken and nobody can pay attention longer than five minutes so we can fix it, etc., etc.

America....what a country!
+1000

This is exactly what I was thinking when I was seeing this all over the news yesterday. It's wierd, strange, but worthy of being plastered all over the news everywhere you look? Not in my opinion. I call it a "distraction".

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Default He wants to be like george...

Remember the man hands episode?.. Just a prank to get babes to pity him. Costanza faked his supermodel fiancee's death to scoop pity dates at the meat packing district's hot spots. Good wholesome fun.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

The height of a QB IS important BUT not an end all be all. Its important because the Line in front of him are guys who are 6-2 - 6-7 and the QB needs to throw over them.

There are exceptions to everything, but in general a QB is tall, a WR has big hands, a cornerback is fast, etcetctec
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Ja,mie B.

I think we're all pretty much in agreement about the QB height thing, that it's an advantage but not the be and end all. Certainly there are more opportunities for tall QB's, perhaps there would be more star-quality short QB's if given the chance, who knows?

As for Te'o, I hope for his sake that he goes on to have a successful career. Can't say why he would have a gf for three years he never met, but some people are emotionally needy. But if he goes on to make 6 or 8 pro bowls, I think this whole thing will be in the rear view mirror pretty quickly.