NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: leon

got this on ebay....looks good in person.....I know the gentleman on the right of the guy with the tophat (as you look at the pic, or technically on his left) is Amos Rusie. The 1889 Indiana Hoosiers had many other players but I don't have good pics of them......any help with the manager ? and the others will be appreciated.....thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2767966843&category=24440&sspagename=rvi:1:2

Old 12-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: Hankron

You gotta like the 'Photographers and Jewelers.' Perhaps it was a case of one stop shopping, and they got their team photos and championship rings at the same establishment.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I forgot to up my snipe bid past $400.00. Nice pickup. Haven't seen any team photos shot horizontally mounted that way. Interesting way to pose the photo. I'm not sure of the rest but if you could get ahold of an image of Joseph Hall Indianapolis (I think they have one), you might be able to help identify them better. Very reasonably priced with a HOF'er. I would kill for a Louisville cabinet similarly posed.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: Andy Baran

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/IND/1889.shtml

Old 12-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

I was going to bid harder after this same image but I could never hammer down that it was actually the Indianapolis Major League team. They have all the look (age, uniform, cockiness) of a major league team but after looking through a multitude of sources, I couldn't confirm any of them. So many of the players looked alike back then (mustaches, etc.) that they're hard to distinguish. The most distinctive looking players are the young manager and the fellow seated in the chair on the right. If one guy could be definitively identified one can trace his teammates for further study. I looked through copies of all the Joseph Hall's but got nowhere. I believe they are most likely a mid-1880's team. The studio location is actually quite a long distance from Indianapolis and is closer to Chicago (but still a long ways away) which raises some question. However, it is possible this studio purchased the photo from the actual original photographer also (like Goodwin & Co. did with most of their Old Judge photos). If it is an Indianapolis (American Assoc. 1884 or NL 1887-89) team I would lean towards the 1884 team since the photo doesn't seem to match up with the Joseph Hall images (1888) and because there were fewer players on earlier teams (as appears to be the case in this photo). Indianapolis had a young manger in 1884 (Watkins) but the likeness doesn't seem to fit. I hope somebody can figure this one out!

Old 12-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: leon

Put this pic next to the Rusie and you will see why I know it is Rusie.....you can juggle 2 screens and put the faces about an inch apart.....not quite kissing though later

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2767728806&category=31719

Old 12-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I don't want to rain on your parade (or snow on it like it's doing in my neck of the woods), but I did the side-by-side comparison you suggested and I couldn't swear on a stack of bibles it's the same guy.

I will say that there are similarities, but the player in the cabinet appears to be younger than the the Rusie on the Old Judge card. Secondly, if this is the 1889 Indianapolis Hoosiers, I don't think I see either Paul Hines or Jack Glasscock in the cabinet photo. Kind of hard to believe they'd take a team photo without two of the best players. Finally, there is no "Indianapolis" across the chest and the hats are white (unlike the photos of Rusie on his Old Judge card).

I agree with Rob that the photo might date to early to mid 1880's. Still, it's a very spiffy item.

Old 12-06-2003, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: Todd

I can't tell, but if you think the guy standing to the "manager's" left is Rusie, then he's either slouching or he had some pretty tall teammates, since Rusie-per sources- was 6'1" tall, and that guy looks smller than virtually everyone else in the pic.

Still-very nice item.

Old 12-06-2003, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Default help on id

Posted By: leonl

While I still think it looks like him my wife doesn't. So it must not be.......still my first cabinet and maybe the start of something new .....thanks for the feedback