NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2003, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Default Changes to this board

Posted By: Hankron 

I would not mind having changes to this board and how it's run. It blows my mind that Elliot allows people like Roy Huff (under various names) and Dr Koos (under various names) and Dr Bond (under various names) and the Ohio scammer (under various names) and anonymous posters and spammers to post, and even people to post for others (me an Scott, for example), despite my repeated protests that there should be some sort of registration. Elliot had told me that he was 'looking into' changes a while back, though, being dead serious, I think he was giving me a line of BS.

Elliot's a nice guy and all, but, frankly, I think the way he runs this board sucks.

Old 12-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Botn

I do not completely agree. I think that Elliot does a hell of a job moderating the board. I think that there could be some improvements but overall it is one of the better forums out there and in large part it is due to the way that Elliot handles things.

I too do not like the anonymous posters as I suspect that many of those people are the "Tonis" and Roys of the hobby.

I would like to see some changes in that respect and would like to see Elliot be more lenient in allowing flaming. There are a couple of real weasels that need to be punished.

Greg

Old 12-04-2003, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I, for one, am thankful for having this forum. I remember missing the original forum, and was thrilled when this forum became available.

The forum not only provides me with the opportunity to expand my knowledge of the vintage cards I collect, but also allows me to network and trade with fellow collectors.

Do I agree with everything that is posted...Not at all. But don't put the blame on Elliot...His is a thankless job!

For the most part, most of the posters are good people that add to the enjoyment of the board. But there is always are going to be a few malcontents that piss and moan and will never be happy unless they piss and moan...That's not Elliot's problem..

Old 12-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I think the format and appearance of this forum could be improved but as far as the moderation, I have yet to see any better. As far as I know, this is the only sports card related forum where anonymous posting is not allowed and where a person is given extreme latitude in airing his or her grievance or point of view.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

thank you van

now that we have that Blazing Saddles item covered . . . yes, mel brooks is a god

I happen to think that E is doing a great job with this board. it is the only one i have found worth my time in reading. i've met some great people, filled in some tough cards for my collection the fun way (trading), and in general have found it to be a highlight of the day. I am also heartened to see just how many hobby 'heavyweights' lurk and post here; this is the cream of the crop. As far as scammers go, torching them is one of the funnest (as my 5 yo would say) parts of the board. The turd burghers of the world show their true colors with their posts and they take a hammering for it. would I like to see a sign in type system to prevent people from using others' handles? yes. but not to exclude people from posting. this is a marketplace of ideas, so let the good in with the bad and let the voices on the board decide who makes sense. like jim rome says, have a take and don't suck or you will get run.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Administrator

I still think there should be some form of registration, in particular as someone was once posting as me, but if the majority like the board the way it is I will refrain from arguing, or at least am not dumb enough to think I'll get my way ...

Old 12-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: OldOriole

I agree with everything said except the original post. I'm sure it's not an easy job to moderate this board and a good (maybe not perfect) job is being done. It's the best out there and I would hardly describe it as 'sucking'. It seems to me that if one disagrees there are only three choices; 1) accept the few problems that exist and continue as is, afterall we've made it for a while as is, 2) continue to try to lobby for a new forum (which may initially be a pain, but helpful in the end), or 3) go and create your own new forum if this one is not run as you desire.
Personally, I enjoy this forum quite a bit and will continue to support E and his selfless efforts.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I do not post often but enjoy this board tremendously. The board might be more user friendly with a search feature and no pop-ups, but the content on this board is great. We owe this to Elliot who has done a great job keeping the topics from going too far off track.

Old 12-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Administrator

As I just mentioned, I will go along with the majority and take back my objections.

I will, however, point out that my only request for change has been simply that people be required to register-- be on a list-- before posting. One would simply email Elliot to be asked to be on this list. There would probably be a requirement of a name and a real email address, with no tests or such. The required registration would prevent all anonymous posts, and post by folks like Roy Huff and Dr Koos under assumed names. It would also prevent spam postings (which has already happened on the T206Museum board if you go and take a look, and that will happen here in the future) and similar situations.

It will not prevent any normal collector from posting, it will just require them to sign up, and allow them to be removed under the correct situtation.

So, I've never asked for a changed to the world, just this simple quality. And whenever an anonymous flamer is allowed to post here, it just makes wish that there was this sort of registration.

I should also point out that Network54 allows this type of Pre-Registration and it takes about 5 minutes to set up.

Old 12-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Elliot,
It's impossible to make everyone happy, so don't try. Keep doing what you think is right, and don't worry about the detractors. The board isn't perfect, but hell, What is?

Hi David,
I'm not dismissing your issues, in fact I agree with some of them, but I'm not sure Elliot can control every aspect of the board, nor do I think we want him to. Be well Brian

Old 12-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

As a long time reader and lurker... and infrequent contributor... and someone who has personally met David (Hankron) and enjoyed my interaction with him... David, give it a break already. While I respect your opinion, honestly you seem to complain frequently about this board and how it is run. If you feel it can be done better, DO IT!

Elliot runs this thing on his own time with no "profit" other than the connections and friendships he has made. He doesn't get paid for his time, and frankly I don't know why he puts up with it, although I'm glad he does. It's real easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize the work that others do (I know I've done the same thing more than once!), but try walking in his shoes - almost every moderator on every board out there gets attacked for what the do or don't do.

I've never met Elliot, although I've interacted enough times with him via email and the chat room to know that I'd be the first person to buy him a cold one if I ever met him to thank him for setting this thing up after the Vintage Cardboard board (remember that!?) had it's meltdown.

Sorry in advance if I offended anyone... just my $.02 worth.

Jeff

Old 12-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

if you don't like it here, leave. This is not directed at David, rather all those that feel the need to question Elliot's perceived role here. Personally, I think Elliot does one hell of a job here, and while some issues will always exists, I'd rather have this forum than not. Many here have web sites, many here are technical. I would suggest you put your money where your ideas are and create the board experience you want others to share in. My guess is that you'd soon long for the "easy" days of the Network54 board. Forgive any English and grammar mistakes...and everyone have a happy holiday season!

Old 12-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Nothing improves without people voicing their opinions, so don't be too hard on David. Elliot has made changes in the past based on the suggestions of board members, and I'm sure he wants to know what we are thinking so that he can continue to make changes when warranted.

It is easy to forget how crappy a forum can become - most are very lousy - this one is really nice;however, I agree with David that some sort of policeable registration is necessary.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Elliot days a great job. Thanks sir.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

Hey, personally, I don't mind some of these knuckleheads that pop off on here every now and then. I get a hell of a belly-laugh seeing what their scrambled heads are really composed of. Several of these posters have been the actual internet scammers and it's kind of interesting to get an idea of just how jacked they are. Believe me, most of these guys have or will spend time behind bars sometime in their life and not necessarily because of what they do on eBay but because they are typically the dregs of society. The demented view is sometimes interesting to get a glimps of. Anyway, Elliot does a great job and everytime I've seen anything get out of hand he quickly cleans it up. Cheers!

Old 12-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

My .02¢:

One of the best features of this site is that it is free to any and all users and should stay that way. Since everyone can see the IP addresses of those making posts I think people can easily tell when someone is up to something. I also think Elliot does a good job of controlling the anonymous posts when a problem appears. As already stated, no system is perfect but this one is working fine for the purpose it serves.

Considering Elliot gets no money to moderate this board his efforts should be all that much more appreciated.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

can't believe I couldn't catch a 1 line paragraph with a typo....he "does" a great job.....

Old 12-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M

What started cold and chilly becomes warm and cozy!! Right, Elliot?

Old 12-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I have no problems with how Elliot handles the board. My complaints are the same ones I've always had, pop up adds and the lack of a search function.

I am all for having the same basically structure, but moving to hosted site where we can eliminate the pop ups and have the ability to search posts and have 'sticky' posts for FAQs and other important posts. I am more than willing to pitch in a little money to make this happen.

Jay

Old 12-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Yes Rob, you are correct, what started cold and chilly becomes warm and cozy. I appreciate the kind words from everyone---both here and via email.

I also do appreciate the fact that if nobody ever complained, things would not improve. I certainly agree that the end of pop-ups and a search function should be added to the site. I promise to get to it shortly---as an excuse I can only plead that i have been very busy, as evidenced by my declining purchases. I haven't even had time to do my regular searches on eBay.

I do understand the arguments for registration, but believe that the negatives---primarily the obstacle for lurkers to post----outweigh the positives. Further, when a new poster appears, I try to make contact with that person, welcome them to the board, and try to find some information out about them. I don't share this information with the board.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

Hi Elliot--have you had the chance to check out the Premeire Select option for this board? The details are highlighted when you click the 'My Resources' tab at the top of the screen. It looks like for a small amount per month we can get a search engine to access previous posts, and also eliminate the ads (not sure if this includes pop-ups).

I enjoy this forum, and am active when I feel I can positively contribute, or at least when I can pretend to be funny. I stay out of most of the frays--but also realize that sometimes (I said sometimes) they can be both healthy and constructive. Even though I am a relatively infrequent contributor, I would be willing to pitch in a little dough (enough to at least make a small muffin) to improve the site--especially the search engine. We have accumulated a wealth of information that deserves to become readily available. And who knows, it might even make people think twice in the future before posting something stupid, with the knowledge that someday it can be retrieved to bite them on the butt.

Here's another warm fuzzy to Elliot, who I don't know but appreciate nonetheless.

Brian

Old 12-05-2003, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Elliot,

I echo most of the thoughts already posted here.

Tough job, not many kudos, always a target, but I appreciate the efforts you put forth. Great pool of knowledge here, but as in life....all kinds of personalities. I hardly miss a day when I don't stop by....most times I either learn something I didn't know or I get a good belly laugh out of the back and forth banter between members (won't mention names, don't want the board wrath pouring down on me, LOL), but always help when you need it and always a good read.

A search and some kind of secure sign in would be a nice addition. Keith

Old 12-05-2003, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I disagree with MW about the format--I think it's great! You can start a thread, or respond to one;, you can have a fight; you can post as long as you want, or as short. The chatroom is nice, too.

As for registration--how many times have I wanted something, or wanted to say something, and have been discouraged by having to make up a user name and password, and perhaps filling out a long form? Allowing first-time readers, who have been given this web addres but are not yet sure they want to register, to post is a GREAT IDEA.

As for policing, Elliot cannot be expected to be everywhere at once, or read each post as it is added during the day. If someone is calling you a GDSOB, you may have to call it to his attention, at which point it will disappear.

Great job, Elliot!

Search engine would be nice; sounds like it might be awfully complicated. This isn't Google, after all.