NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Last edited by DBesse27; 11-11-2015 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Misunderstanding
Old 11-11-2015, 04:31 AM
Glyn Parson

Default less than market

but what was at one time the market price is not that uncommon and why many at a show like to hear someone say i haven't set up in x number of years. Those are the dealers whose inventories you want to peruse first, often some bargains. I think it is unfair to the seller to basically accuse him of selling stolen property with no evidence and then just be like i'd want to know if it were my stolen card. Problem is this was not a stolen card as far as we know. I think the seller is owed an apology if this never is proven to be stolen. Pretending there are never bargains on ebay is laughable. I know many people that have scooped up more than a few major bargains over the years on Buy it Now items as well as auctions.

Last edited by glynparson; 11-11-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:57 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Problem is this was not a stolen card as far as we know.
How do you know it's not? It hasn't even been 3 days yet. Give the owner a chance to locate the thread. At least with the info out there someone can see it and be like "Hey - those are MY cards!" I had a trailer stolen from me. Doesn't mean I forgot about the theft. If a neighbor called and said "Hey - I think I saw your trailer going down the road", I would be eternally grateful and be all over it trying to see if it indeed was my trailer. I just don't see what the harm is with a thread like this out there asking if you had some cards missing. If you look at the sellers history, I am sorry if you think it is squeaky clean. It is highly suspect when someone sells $3 Pokémon cards to all of the sudden has 3-5 random baseball cards (huge ones for that matter), especially when they amount to 1% of his sales. And if you think stolen cards don't get sold on Ebay, you have your head in the sand.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:02 AM
Robert Williams

As far as PSA goes, it was a mutual thing. I don't ever want to go back there. That board shows how far a board can fall. it has literally "gone to shit". I think PSA is a great company, I have nothing but respect for Joe Orlando, and admire what they have don't for the card industry. Their message board is nothing like this one, and I choose not to be a part of it. I am sorry if this thread offends you - but if it helps an owner find his missing property, I would do it all over again and not think twice about it.

Someone has alerted me that they have started a thread bashing me for starting this thread. That's fine. For the person who bought the card, they want it to be legit. I want it to be legit for them too. I'm not about that. However, when all the red flags are present in regards to the sale of that card, then I'm just saying what others are thinking. The sale of that card is highly suspect. Selling a card for pennies on the dollar. Check. Seller has 999 $3 Pokemon cards, then out of nowhere pops out 3-4 huge baseball cards. Check. If you think that looks like a normal sale, then I have some oceanfront property in Nebraska I want you to take a look at.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 11-11-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
DPeck IS NOT right....you can't tell me that someone owns a card of that magnitude and has NO CLUE what it is worth!!! The majority of his cards are Pokemon cards for crying out loud!! I am sorry, but if it smells like a fish.....
Not cards, but I've bought stamps on Ebay that were BINs from dealers AND that were even more lopsided deals than this was.

So yes, some people just either don't know what they have or don't keep track of all the prices.

Steve B
Old 11-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Rob

Default Geo. Brett Rookie Card Story...

The only time I've ever been to The National was in 1985 in Anaheim at the Disneyland Hotel. In a box of cards, my brother and I found a 1975 Topps George Brett in a top loader marked "$3". My brother was about 10 and he was pretty geeked about it. I told him he should buy it, as I already had one back at home and I thought it was a really good deal.

He paid for the Brett rookie himself and I bought a 1985 Topps Wax Box and opened up the packs when we got back to the hotel. I remember I pulled a Roger Clemens and a Barry Bonds that I still have in a box somewhere. My brother sold the Brett Rookie along with the rest of his collection for $300 when he went off to college.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:10 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
He paid for the Brett rookie himself and I bought a 1985 Topps Wax Box and opened up the packs when we got back to the hotel. I remember I pulled a Roger Clemens and a Barry Bonds that I still have in a box somewhere. My brother sold the Brett Rookie along with the rest of his collection for $300 when he went off to college.
1985 Topps Bonds?
Old 11-11-2015, 04:20 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
1985 Topps Bonds?
1 of 1

Old 11-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
1985 Topps Bonds?
My memory is not all that good. The next time I talk to my brother I will ask him. I know it was a large card show in the mid 80's in Anaheim. Maybe it was 1986 that we were there? As y'all say, the Bonds I was thinking of is his 1986 Topps card. Maybe I bought those later? Anyway he did buy a Brett RC for $3 one time at a show in California, which we both thought was a good deal, if not actually a steal...
Old 11-11-2015, 04:41 PM
David Peck

Bobby before you get too excited no one started a thread about you.

So since you believe there are no deals ever on EBAY would you have hit the BIN on this auction had you been fortunate enough to see if first?

"One recently sold on Ebay for $500 BIN. It is a $2,000 card. When one is sold that cheaply it is either a fake or hot. This one was real."

These are your comments. Since it is real it is "hot". Or in normal terms stolen.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Bobby before you get too excited no one started a thread about you.

So since you believe there are no deals ever on EBAY would you have hit the BIN on this auction had you been fortunate enough to see if first?

"One recently sold on Ebay for $500 BIN. It is a $2,000 card. When one is sold that cheaply it is either a fake or hot. This one was real."

These are your comments. Since it is real it is "hot". Or in normal terms stolen.
Not always....but usually the case. There is more to it than that though. When a seller sells 9,999 $3 Pokemon cards, is he all of the sudden going to have 3-4 baseball cards (smoker ones at that)? Maybe so, usually not. What if he sold, say, one big one?? A 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 5? Would you think it was legit? Look...I didn't mean for this thread to be antagonistic. But when a deal is too good to be true.....Would you feel silly if these cards DID INDEED turn out to be stolen? Would you issue me an apology?

And yes, I'm aware of the snarkiness on the PSA board. I read KBCards comments. If anyone else beside me posted that, this wouldn't even be an issue. Everyone always checks out sellers history to see if cards they are selling are legitimate (they have a history of selling high dollar cards vs them selling Tupperware 99% of the time). However, because it is me pointing out the obvious, everyone is up in arms about it. Oh well. If I can help someone get their stolen items back, then I will do it again in a heartbeat. If the cards are somehow legit, no harm no foul. However, these cards have more Red Flags associated with them than anyone cares to admit.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 11-12-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

As usual, Dpeck is right again. Nobody started a thread about you. The thread was started 27 days before this one. His OP was just to talk about his excitement about his purchase. The day after this thread was started, he referenced it, in the 74th post in that thread. How narcissistic do you have to be to say "somebody started a thread about me" when you're not mentioned until 4 weeks and 74 posts into the thread?? And then not mentioned by name, btw, at least by the OP.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Dan Bretta

It looks to me like he sells quite a few high dollar cards. I would say it is far more likely he sold the Brett too cheap because he was unaware of the current market for it. His other cards that he's sold more recently appear to be more in line with the market, and would also make it appear that he has or had a nice collection of cards. He also could have been selling them for a friend/relative which might explain a lot of low dollar sales with high dollar cards mixed in.

I think you're off on this one.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
As usual, Dpeck is right again. Nobody started a thread about you. The thread was started 27 days before this one. His OP was just to talk about his excitement about his purchase. The day after this thread was started, he referenced it, in the 74th post in that thread. How narcissistic do you have to be to say "somebody started a thread about me" when you're not mentioned until 4 weeks and 74 posts into the thread?? And then not mentioned by name, btw, at least by the OP.
Full name, please.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:36 PM
David Peck

I just looked and can't find his comments.

The reason I responded was whether you intended to or not you made a blanket statement and I think that opinion is wrong and I think the thread isn't warranted.

The card was sold on October 3rd and the seller has completed several other higher dollar sales since. I would like to think that if they were moving "hot" merchandise and only priced this card at a fire sale price to move it quickly they would have done the same with their other cards. If the goal is to get in and out they certainly haven't done a very good job if they are still selling these "hot" cards nearly a month and a half later.

Perhaps this site gets more traffic then I realize but I find it hard to believe this is the first place someone would look if they were missing cards. I would imagine that EBAY would be and they could look at the cards sold and contact the seller themselves.

I can speak from experience when it comes to buying items at a fraction of the current value. In those instances I sent payment as quick as possible and simply crossed my fingers hoping the merchandise would come. Thankfully in every case it did.

At the end of the day I think just about every single person would have hit the BIN and while I don't actively collect baseball anymore I would have snagged that baby as quick as possible. One of the benefits of actively searching EBAY is finding mispriced items and it happens every day in all sorts of genres.

My mind isn't wired to think everything is a fraud or that people are out to get me. The biggest mistake the buyer made was trying to share his win with fellow hobby members because not only did he have to deal with the comments that the card was fake he now reading a thread that suggests that since it is real he bought a stolen card. I think unfortunately the lesson here is if you hit a home run keep it to yourself as someone will find a way to rain on your parade.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 11-12-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Full name, please.
I'm not sure whose name you're looking for. Mine is Dan Be$$ette. Bobby's last name is Williams I believe. I don't know the real name of the CU member who's an innocent bystander in Bobby's witch hunt.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:36 PM

I've been following this thread for some time, I go under Smokie on the CU board, I have a nice collection of 1975 complete set.

David is correct the biggest mistake I made was sharing my big win.

First I want to say that I have the highest respect for all the members on the CU boards. I have BST several times and had all good transactions. I don't post a whole lot but do occasionally post some card for sale.

When I first saw the George Brett card in a bin for 500 I was shocked, first thing I did was check the serial number to make sure it was good then I quickly pulled the trigger and paid for it. Then the wait to see if I do in fact get the card and sure enough a week later I received the card, I was pretty excited about it thought I'd post it to the members on the CU board, they too thought something was wrong with everything you can mention from the bar code to the holder. At that point I decided to put it to rest and piece of mind if I did decide to sell the card sent it back to PSA for management review and put it in a new holder. I get the card back which has now been graded twice, reviewed twice and holder twice without a doubt it is a PSA 9. I post it and most congratulated me.

Now I have to deal with it being stolen.

My next guess I'll be getting every Tom, Dick, and Harry e-mailing me telling me that its their card. I did register it in my set and it is not registered to anyone in the registry. Ron

Last edited by Smokie; 11-12-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 11-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Now I have to deal with it being stolen.
I never said the card was stolen. I just said that all signs pointed to it being hot. You might not ever hear a thing. Just tuck it away in your collection and forget about it. After all the harassments I get, I'm sorry I even started this thread. I just thought someone would like to know in case they had their cards stolen from them. I know I would.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Steven Finley

Board v Board. Stay cool Brett, Brett stay cool.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Dan Bretta

Heh...love that show!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Steven Finley

Only two seasons, saddest thing ever...
Old 11-12-2015, 09:00 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I just read this post and I am really surprised at the posts .
I normally post on the autograph site but this caught my eye so I opened it to check it out .
The George Brett card in question came from my collection . I am slowly selling many of my graded single cards as well as other ungraded cards .
My son has been selling cards for awhile and I asked him to handle the transactions for me at a commission percent . I would give him the cards with descriptions and prices and he would post them. The Brett card in question was given to my son to sell for $1500.00 BUT he misread the price and posted it at $500.00 and it sold immediately before I could proofread his postings to check for accuracy and proper pricing. When I noticed the error I wanted to cancel the sale for the gross error in the price but my son and I decided to live with our error and let the card go for the $500.00 in order to prevent a potentially bad situation from eBay and the buyer .
I am sure if we had canceled the sale for the pricing error he would have been mad too and notified eBay ...so you see we were in a lose - lose situation .
I have the auction house paperwork still for the purchase of this card.
But now some sanctimonious collector who got a great deal on a card due to our pricing error has the nerve to question if it was stolen. If he was so worried why did he buy it in the first place ?
Believe me I will gladly refund this guy's money if he wants and relist the card for my original price of $1500.00, however I do not think the buyer has the balls to do that.
Next time do not condemn or question the seller because sometimes crap happens and you get a great deal or you lose money , as in this case .It happens to all of us at one time or another .
Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 PM
David Peck

Sir it wasn't the buyer who questioned anything.

It was an individual who wasn't involved in the sale and in their view they were helping the card collecting community by making a public service announcement.

Mistakes happen and that was the point of mine and others. If you should be upset direct your anger at the OP.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 11-12-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:19 PM
Dan Bretta

That sucks...I would have cancelled the transaction myself and worried about a negative after that. You didn't deserve to take a $1000 hit because of an error in the listing price.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
Sir it wasn't the buyer who questioned anything.

It was an individual who wasn't involved in the sale and in their view they were helping the card collecting community by making a public service announcement.

Mistakes happen and that was the point of mine and others. If you should be upset direct your anger at the OP.
I agree with you and for that I apologize . I just hate that everytime something is against the norm whether in cards or autographs it is either stolen, fake , altered or forged. This is what our hobby has come to .
Mistakes do not seem to be tolerated as much as before .
Old 11-12-2015, 09:28 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
That sucks...I would have cancelled the transaction myself and worried about a negative after that. You didn't deserve to take a $1000 hit because of an error in the listing price.
The money was important for sure but I was also trying to teach my son a lesson in accuracy, fact checking and living with your mistakes and the consequences of your actions and if you make e deal you have to live with it no matter how it turns out ( good or bad).
Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
$1,500 hit.

Quote:
There should be no anger at me. I did nothing wrong. The card had all the red flags of a stolen card. Card for pennies on the dollar from a seller who doesn't normally sell baseball cards. Checks on both accounts. I am glad the card wasn't stolen. Now the buyer can live happy knowing he got a steal (well....errr...bad choice of words :-p). Case closed.

And to the seller. I am sorry you got hosed on an obvious pricing error. The card was worth $2,000, not $1,500. At $1,500 it would have gotten snapped up immediately as well, although not as fast as $500. In the future, I recommend a website called Vintage Card Prices. They are great for instances like this, and they do have a 24 hour membership.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 11-12-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Steven Finley

I'd assume the seller the well aware of the card's market price. Outside of Cooperstown I'd doubt there is a nicer HOF autograph collection in existence than his.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:54 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
$1,500

And to the seller. I am sorry you got hosed on an obvious pricing error. The card was worth $2,000, not $1,500. At $1,500 it would have gotten snapped up immediately as well, although not as fast as $500. In the future, I recommend a website called Vintage Card Prices. They are great for instances like this, and they do have a 24 hour membership.
Thanks for the info .
Old 11-13-2015, 12:18 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I just want to go on the record for being correct that it was the seller's son who sold the card
Old 11-13-2015, 04:27 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
I just want to go on the record for being correct that it was the seller's son who sold the card
Patrick what exactly does this post mean? I don't see any indication in that post of you accurately calling this situation. Is the smile a clue that you did your sleuth work and contacted the seller to alert them to this situation and hence the owner sees the thread?

Here is your comment from this thread.

"I think it's possible that the card is stolen. Pokemon cards...maybe it's a kid who stole some of dad's baseball cards? Maybe housekeepers pocketed it while doing the laundry. Who knows? It doesn't hurt to inform the public in case it's a hot item. No need to pile onto the OP for this."
Old 11-13-2015, 04:29 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
The money was important for sure but I was also trying to teach my son a lesson in accuracy, fact checking and living with your mistakes and the consequences of your actions and if you make e deal you have to live with it no matter how it turns out ( good or bad).
Sometimes mistakes aren't cheap and I applaud you for trying to teach him a valuable lesson.