NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Default graded card holders

Posted By: Bryan

For discussion's sake which grading company's card holder is your favorite? Assume that the four companies (psa, sgc, gai, and bvg) are all equally realiable and their services are priced the same.

Which slab of plastic is your favorite and why.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Henry

PSA because they stack together better

Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Because the black, comfort-fit holders and thick plastic house my cards better than PSA (which are just smokey plastic around the card and too thin) or GIA (which is too thin and has had too many slippage issues). I will say that I like that GAI holders have the name and info at the top of the case, so they are easier to catalog in drawers. But PSA is like, well, taking the first of anything and not being able to upgrade to better models in the future.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I also like the top "identifyinig tabs" of the GAI holders. That was a great idea on GAIs part.

It would be interesting to see if someone could come up with an SGC or PSA secondary market "identifying tab" that could be added without degrading the integrity of the secured holders. This could be a niche market for someone. I'd pay a couple of bucks for each identifying tab that I needed. Are there any entrepreneurs out there?

Old 10-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

SGC

By far the nicest holder. Cards look great within the black inserts, thick plastic for protection, no slippage issues. As far as the identifying tab on GAI's holders, its a nice extra but of no use to me since I keep all my graded cards in albums for easier viewing.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

I like the GEM holders because even cards in poor condition get a GEM MINT 10! Alright, no more threadjacking

I like attributes of SCG, PSA, and GAI. The SGC has the nice black matting, the GAI ones have attractive labels that display from the top, and PSA takes up very little room. It would be nice to combine the three.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I like SGC's look and better-fitting gaskets, PSA's standard-size slab size and GAI's top label.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 10-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I like PRO, because they look better in the garbage.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

If I am going simply by aesthetics, the bvg is the most attractive, secure holder imo and they are by far the toughest grader on modern issues.

Overall though, I would give a slight edge to SGC over PSA in vintage cards. The SGC label is the most detailed/descriptive while PSA for example omits the tobacco manufacturer from T-205/6/7 cards. My vintage card collection is approximately 60% psa and 40% sgc.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

#1 is GAI's standard holder, because it is thinner and has the info on the top edge.
But their oversized holders look like crap.The standard size pack holders are great as well.
SGC's holders are second, and when it comes to odd size cards no one is better at presentation. I've seen everything from Scrapps to Topps test disks with custom cut mattes. It's obvious they take a lot of pride in their work. The slabs are a bit thicker than GAI's, and unbelievably easy to crack.
PSA's come in 3rd in a 3 horse race, but I just got my first graded T3 and those are stellar. GAI and SGC would be smart to rip off the design and smoke them before the registry participants put PSA as the only choice, as they have in so many other sets.
The toughest slab I"ve cracked was PRO's, obviously they have a reason for you not to resubmit it.

IMO all the grading companies would benefit from having a good design firm redo the flips. They all look like garbage. Silver is ugly, green stripes don't work, and the red flips look like taco bell.The fonts used are remedial. Presentation is the key, and they all fall short on the flip design.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I prefer NASA slabs. Nothing like a good old fashioned acrylic screwdown slab with penny card sleeve, pop rivets and a shiney sticker with grading info.

Seriously, SGC for looks and quality. I'd love it if they added the the little tab at top like GAI. GAI is OK, but the I don't care for the silver lable at the top. Sort of distracts you from the card, which is what you should be looking at.

Jay

Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams.
If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and lettheir dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."-- Babe Ruth

Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

I have a new found respect for Babe Ruth. "Deep Thoughts" by Babe Ruth. Jack Handy has nothing on the Babe.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

GAI, when their inserts fit the cards and you don't have a floater.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

GAI is very easy to find cards using the top flip...When their gaskets fit...they have been better lately, they are great holders...
SGC makes the best small and large holder combination..with the best and most accurate descriptions on label..
PSA is most recognizable but they have many floaters too: E254, M101-4, M116's, E121..depends on who did the sealing

All 3 should do what the above poster stated..get an advertising firm that will combine the benefits of all three with a nicer label, it would be better for collectors and dealers.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: will watson

PSA for post war standard sized cards. SGC for about everything else

Old 10-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

If we were judging solely on aesthetics, I prefer teh GAI holder. I like the black gasket on both the GAI and SGC holders, but the SGC holder is a little too bulky.

PSA is ok, but only for standard sized cards. Any cards that do not have custom sized holder look horrible in PSA holders.