NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default What's your fave card/autograph in Your collection?

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

To all of my fellow network 54 forum members: What is your Favorite card OR autograph in your collection?

Thanks for ALL replies,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 07-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

Thought I would share my faves to all:

autographs- Cobb, Ruth, Maris, Foxx, Wagner, Jackie Robinson,Nelson Fox, etc,etc. (I LOVE vintage autographs)
cards- 1955 topps jackie Robinson, 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson

Old 07-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

Favorite autograph: 500 HR ball with Mantle, Aaron, Williams, Mays, Sosa, Schmidt, Kilabrew.

Favorite Card: 1955 Hank Aaron RC

Old 07-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AdamBaxter

It's actually a tie for me.

My first favorite is an autograph I received on a Red Sox ticket stub from David Cone at Fenway Park in 1997. It was during warm-ups and everyone else had raced over to another part of the seats along the third base line to get autos from Derek Jeter. I stayed behind and had a really great 10-15 minute conversation with Dave about his perfect game, etc. He was the absolute nicest professional athlete I've ever met and very generous with his time. I was even luckier after talking with Cone to also receive autos from Cecil Fielder, Tino Martinez, Jeff Nelson, Greame (sic) LLoyd, and Mel Stottelmyre.

The second one is an 8x10 color photo I had signed by Terry O'Reilly several years back at a store opening. I had my son with me, who was real young at the time and Terry was just an all around nice guy and it was a thrill for both me and my son.

Regards,
Adam

Old 07-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Favorite card is easy and it will make Ben crazy my e92 Nadja Rebel Oakes.

Hard to pick a favorite autograph since the few that I own are all personalized to me, though I would probably lean toward the first foul ball I ever caught, off the bat of Butch Wynegar, and then got him to sign it after the game.

Jay

Old 07-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

autograph - Ed Reulbach index card
card - virtually pack-fresh black cap Matty
photo - George Burke Babe Ruth portrait

Old 07-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

My favorite card would be my 1914 Cracker Jack Cicotte. My favorite auto would be a Mark Prior bat I got signed when he was pitching in AA.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mzm55

My favorite card would be my PSA graded Mathewson T206 dark cap, and my favorite autograph would have to be my Derek Jeter autographed baseball that I got signed by him when he played in the minor league for the Columbus Clippers.

Old 07-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Toss up between:

1. T206 Walter Johnson (throwing)
2. 1950 Bowman Yogi Berra (just a great looking card)

Old 07-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

my favorite card in my collection is undoubtedly my n162 Kelly. Not only is it the favorite among what I own, but it's also my favorite card EVER PRODUCED. I'm greatful to own it.

Now if I can only find an n162 Keefe

Old 07-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

My favorite autograph is a program signed by Eddie Mathews. I got it in person at Dodger Stadium. No worries about authenticity. He was my favorite player. Mathews went to Santa Barbara High in the 1940s and I grew up in Santa Barbara in the 50s and 60s. We drove down to the game with a group including one of Eddie's cousins. She introduced me to him after the game, as the players were boarding the team bus.

I was 13. The program cost 25 cents. I scored the game. Mathews went 2-5, Aaron 4-5. The Braves won, 8-2. My handwritten notes indicate that my seat number was 7R19. Somewhere I still have the ticket. Time of the game was 2:36. Paid attendance was 27,287, on Lutheran Night at the ballpark, August 20, 1964.

Old 07-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Autographs (not real big on these): Ki Ki Cuyler, Jackie Robinson
Photographs: Conlon Landis at World Series and Conlon Kid Gleason, throwing on the sidelines (as manager of White Sox). I was going to say photos of Shoeless Joe, and Weaver and Cicotte clowning in the dugout--both by unknown photographers (to me, anyway!)--but that Conlon--he gets them perfect every time!

CaRD (That's REAL hard--I love every 19th century card I own): Kelly or Keefe of Caruthers from the N162 set, or the A35 Kelly (now adorning the BST column, top)--I KNOW, I know, it's not a card!!!

Old 07-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Old 07-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scottopotamus

My favorite card is a T206 of Ed Abbaticchio (brown sleeves version) simply because it was the first T206 I ever acquired.

My favorite autographed card is hardly vintage. It's a 2004 Sweet Spot auto (#'d to 25) of Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe from the Negro Leagues.

Scottoptamus
My T206 Web Site

http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus

Old 07-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Freeman

Favorite card is a 1914 Cracker Jack Cobb followed up by a T227 Cobb

Favorite autograph is Frank Robinson on the cover of a Spring Training program that I got as a kid. Several other Reds are on that also,

Old 07-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

My favorite autograph is my Doubleday letter. It was written in response to an autograph request he received for his military accolades. Since purchasing it, I have had GAI authenticate the item.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh

Scotty,
Freakin' Sweet!!!

Also, those Rube Marquardt autos are awesome!

Old 07-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 07-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt Goebel

My favorite card of all time is a 1923-24 Billiken Oscar Charleston.

The only autograph I ever got was that of Mike Torrez who leaned over the visitor's dugout of Tigers Stadium in 1978. I have no idea where it is today though.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

Favorite autographs:

* autographed Rose rookie card obtained in person
* players from my hometown (Pottstown, PA) -- Bobby Shantz (1952 AL MVP; signed 1952 Topps card) and Howie Bedell (broke Drysdale's scoreless inning streak, pictured on a Williams-Sonoma B&W photo basebal themed napkins, plates, & coaster, grew up with one of his sons; signed 1962 Topps rookie card).
* Will Clark signing his 1987 Topps card for me before he was a huge star (at a game at the Vet)

Favorite cards:

This is a tough one. 1956 Topps Whitey Ford started me down the vintage path. 1963 Fleer Joe Adcock made me collect that set. Same with Ted Williams card #1 for 1954 Topps. Jack Warhop's T-206 was my first, but I also like Hugh Duffy's T-206 and Rube Waddell's pitching T-206 cards, too. For some strange reason, I like the 1980 Topps/Burger King Pete Rose card (I remember getting it at BK).

Great thread. Thanks!

Old 07-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

Favorite Autograph - My favorite item is a 1933 Washington Senator autographed World Series Ball that was also signed by Walter Johnson (my favorite pitcher). Honorable Mentions would be 1934 Yankess signed ball (Ruth-Gehrig), Cartwright letter, Cy Young photo.

Favorite card - T201 Crawford/Cobb

Old 07-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I'll combine the topics. My favorite autographed card is an Old Judge Connie Mack autographed by Connie Mack, with a large fountain per signature, on the back (certified by PSA/DNA of course ). Actually, this is one of my favorite pieces, regardless of the category.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

Favorite Card- E95 Cobb. Favorite autographs- Edd Roush letter to me in response to an autograph request and Ruth single signed ball personalized to an ill child.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Favorite autograph is a Chas. Ferguson handwritten contract on Philadelphia Phillies letterhead by Harry Wright. Neat piece. Ex-Halper; all the more meaningful, as I got to spend a day at Barry's in 1993 with Barry, Joe D. and some other winners from the Score contest.

Favorite card is a 1972 Puerto Rican sticker of Mike Schmidt. From a vintage standpoint, I really enjoy my Niagra Baking card of Otta Knabe, just because it is one of those exceedingly rare type cards. That he is a Philadelphia Phillie and the deep red background both add to the appeal.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I look at autographs as remembrances of fun occasions. My favorite autographs are those I got myself from signers who were gracious, nice and fun to speak with: Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, Luke Appling, Shawn Green, Don Newcombe. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Newcombe since I had a multiple-hour conversation with him about baseball.

Favorite cards (in no particular order): 1954 Topps Aaron, Williams, Robinson and Mays, 1930 Exhibit entertainment card Jim Thorpe, 1961 Morrell Meats Sandy Koufax, 1927 Zeenuts Lefty O'Doul, 1926-30 PC Back Exhibit Babe Ruth, 1922 Exhibit Harry Heilmann, 1976 Aaron (pulled from a pack in 1976), 1934 Zeenuts Jimmie Reese, 1928 Exhibit PCL Earl Averill, E90-1 Young, N300 Duffy.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

and y'all make my collector look pretty pathetic!

But still...

Old 07-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 07-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry O

Favorite card(s) - 1933 Goudey Chuck Klein (love the picture and purple/blue background) and T201 Lajoie.

Favorite auto(s) - 1980 Phillies team or 1983 Sixers team (w/o Andrew Toney, but with Moses Malone and the underscore, "Fo, Fo, Fo")

Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John/z28jd

Favorite card is a 1989 Keith Comstock procards Las Vegas Stars,where hes getting hit in the groin with the ball,the facial reaction is priceless.

Favorite autograph is a handwritten letter by Ralph D Miller,a 19th century pitcher where he talks about Willie Keeler,called him Billy, and he talks about his first major league game

Old 07-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

My favorite card is t206 Lajoie portrait. It's what got me started on my HOF portrait set.

Favorite autograph is of Bob Allison (former Twin great). I was caddying for my dad when I was about 13 in a golf tournament and he was one of the foursome. Nicest guy. I caddied for my dad but I followed him around. Signed a golf ball and card for me.

Bill

Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Administrator

I completely forgot about small collection of letters I have from former Negro League players. Around 1982 I got know Lou Dials who give me a huge list of living Negro Leaguers and their known addresses. I sent letters to many of them and got a number of wonderful letters about their playing days.

The funniest one I got was from Ted Radcliff. At the end of the letter, he said he didn't send do autograph requests and didn't sign the letter. He did sign the check I sent along with my request, hehe. This was one of the best tricks for getting an elusive autograph, but with today's banking system, it is no longer any good.

Jay

Old 07-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

favorite autographed item is actually a '73 Phillies ball featuring a HUGE Mike Schmidt autograph which looks absolutely nothing like his current signature, plus Carlton on the sweet spot and a few Giants from a previous visit to the Astrodome (Bobby Bonds, Marichal, etc.)

I know it's an old worn-out topic, but man was it cool to actually meet the ball-players in person outside the stadium...and talk with them! We used to sit in the outfield and kids would throw programs with pens clipped on, down to Juan Marichal while he was doing his pre-game jog, and he always stopped, caught them, signed, and threw them back up! Another real crowd-pleaser was a young Bobby Valentine, playing for the Dodgers in the early '70s - Valentine had the biggest smile and always seemed eager to make eye contact with the fans. Weird how he turned out to be so angry-looking as a manager...Pete Rose was a turd.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Jay - wait - I may have read that wrong but Double Duty said he wouldn't do an autograph request, but still took your money that you offered for him to sign something? Now that's the first I have heard at that. "Sorry Jay, I won't give you my autograph but I'll gladly take the $$$ you offered me to give it to you!". On a lighter note, my father used to promote autograph guests a little while back - some big names from Mantle, DiMaggio, etc, to little guys like Enos Slaughter, etc. One time, we had a small Negro League Reunion in Cooperstown - about 7 players in total. All the Negro Leaguers came to my house for a BBQ. I was about 11 years old at the time and we went out to my front yard (which is large) and I got to play catch with Double Duty, Casey Jones, Lester Lockett, Joe Barnes, Buck O'Neil and Bobby Robinson. They were all great guys. I should mention that Double Duty was in a wheel chair but when he saw the other guys tossing slightly, he insisted on having a glove and being wheeled to the grass. I'll dig out some photos and post later!

Old 07-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Administrator

You read it right. I said in my note to the players that check for their time to write me a note about their playing experiences and signature. So he technically didn't take the money and run. I got a nice note out of it too. The check was just a back up for cases like or if the player sent nothing. I knew many of them were not well off financially, so sending a $5 check and getting nothing in return other than the signed check was no big deal.

Jay

Old 07-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Morrie

The main reason I'm responding is to thank Jon for his post. Reading about the lucky kid getting to go out in his front yard and play catch with former Negro League stars literally gave me chills.

I don't really have a favorite autograph - I probably only have a couple dozen, and none of them have huge emotional significance to me. My favorite cards are the 2 t206 Matty portraits my dad gave me, probably 10 Christmases apart. One OM, one Piedmont, both going to stay in my collection until the day I die.

Morrie

Old 07-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

My favorite autograph is a Jim Russel 1949 Bowman personally auto'd to me.
His son is a friend of my fathers and got it for me when I first started collecting.

I also have an auto'd glove by most of the 85 Orioles and George Brett that I obtained as a kid waiting outside the stadium. Great memories. Brett had a girl on each arm and made a big show of signing my glove.

I couldn't pick out a favorite card- probably something out of my Dwight Gooden collection (my childhood hero).

Old 07-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William

My Favorite Autograph: 1930 Philadelphia Athletics Team Ball

My Favorite Card: 1915 Sporting News Babe Ruth

Old 07-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

T206 Lajoie with bat has got to be at the top of the list. Not only is it a beautiful card, but it was my first pre WWII card bought in junior high bought around 1980.

1914 Cracker Jack Cobb. Another beauty.

Jim

Old 07-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

Debates about whether or not NASCAR is a sport aside, my favorite autograph has always been of "The King" Richard Petty because of how extravagant his signature is... almost a work of art.

My favorite card from my collection is a 1914 CJ Joe Jackson.. Its not perfect but I like the caramel stains and the knowledge that some lucky person pulled this out of a Cracker Jack box way back when... A beautiful card from a beautiful set...