NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default PSA Population Report to be free as of 1/1/2012

Just got an email from PSA about changes in 2012. Of note:

"As an added bonus and for the first time in PSA's history, we have decided to make the Online SMR and PSA Population Report FREE! Both of these resources are essential to any collector of PSA-certified items.

The SMR Online contains over 300,000 prices for a host of different collectibles and is the most comprehensive price guide in the hobby.

The PSA Population Report is a complete listing of every item graded by PSA since our inception in 1991. The Pop Report currently contains data on nearly 20 million items. These changes will go into effect January 1, 2012."
Old 12-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Two highly accurate market tools, for free!

This is a smart business move. SGC, Got any countermeasures?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Two highly accurate market tools, for free!

This is a smart business move. SGC, Got any countermeasures?
SGC's pop report has always been free.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Eric Bea.chley

[QUOTE=Ladder7;944790]Two highly accurate market tools, for free!QUOTE]

Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Now all they have to do is improve their customer service and their obnoxious attitudes especially at shows.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Dan Marke1

The old adage, "You get what you pay for" never rang truer.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
The Pop Report currently contains data on nearly 20 million items."
Am I reading this correctly? Have they graded 20 million items?

Doug
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Doug G

I'd bet that, that "items" number includes a huge number of COINS (and other goodies).

Regards,

TED Z
Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Doug Goodman

Thanx Ted.

I've been playing with the number of minutes / seconds in a work day and how that number interacts with 20 million items graded since they began operations. Pretty entertaining stuff. They must work pretty quick. Good thing they are so qualified.

Doug
Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I'd bet that, that "items" number includes a huge number of COINS (and other goodies).

Regards,

TED Z
You would lose that bet too....and to add why....according to sources I have, PSA grades +/- 120k cards a month....so the 20M is probably pretty close to accurate.....and I understand all of the little caveats, but my guess is that they have indeed graded that many cards....though maybe a small bit more or less...

Last edited by Leon; 12-06-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
....according to sources I have, PSA grades +/- 120k cards a month....
120,000 cards per month...

Assuming a 6 day work week, and an 10 hour day (not including breaks), that's between 7 and 8 cards graded every minute.

Insert smiley face here.

I currently have 43,052 pre-1992 Topps cards, If I took them all in to get graded today, it seems like I might be able to get them back in time for Christmas.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 12-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
120,000 cards per month...

Assuming a 6 day work week, and an 10 hour day (not including breaks), that's between 7 and 8 cards graded every minute.

Insert smiley face here.

I currently have 43,052 pre-1992 Topps cards, If I took them all in to get graded today, it seems like I might be able to get them back in time for Christmas.

Doug
If they had one dude doing it that would be a stretch. I would guess they have more than that though. The number I quoted is fairly accurate I believe. It was from a few reliable sources.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
T!M R10rd@n

I don't recall the numbers, but they are a publicly traded company and they do publish the numbers in their annual report. So it definitely is not some trade secret and can be looked up.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
If they had one dude doing it that would be a stretch. I would guess they have more than that though. The number I quoted is fairly accurate I believe. It was from a few reliable sources.
If you assume a 40 hour work week, and 1 minute per card, then they need 12 graders to do 120k per month.

Of course, if they work a bit faster, they won't need so many graders.

Doug
Old 12-06-2011, 02:57 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
The number I quoted is fairly accurate I believe. It was from a few reliable sources
Leon, It is very accurate. On PSA's front page of their website, they have a counter that
changes every month, its at 18,390,660 now
Old 12-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If you assume a 40 hour work week, and 1 minute per card, then they need 12 graders to do 120k per month.

Doug
I might have been thinking of 1.2M a yr therefore 100k a month......but regardless, take a card and a loupe and look at it for 1 full minute. It's actually longer than you think it is. Going back to the original question though, I do think 20M isn't far off and that was the whole premise of this. Now back to sparring with David on the other side of the board. My post count is skyrocketing today!!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Leon, It is very accurate. On PSA's front page of their website, they have a counter that
Thanks Jay....I guess I was off some...but not too, too much.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Yeah, but those aren't are all cards. It says 18,390,660 Collectibles Certified. Many of those items are PSA/DNA.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
take a card and a loupe and look at it for 1 full minute. It's actually longer than you think it is.
I agree that 1 minute can be a long time to look at a card, but if we all take that minute to think about what would actually be involved in the grading process, checking front and back and sides, looking for imperfections, and then making some sort of notation, that brings up some interesting ideas about how much time is actually spent by a grader looking at a specific card.

Obviously there are more than 12 people involved in the process, and most of them don't do the actual grading, but we are talking about looking at card after card after card after card. And, each is different from the one before, so it must be hard to develop a rhythm. This process needs to be done carefully enough so as to not damage a small piece of paper.

When I have multiple copies of the same card, it often takes me a minute or two to decide which one is the "best" card, and that is just ranking them against each other, I don't have to assign them numbers on a 1 to 19 scale (1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 ... 8.5, 9. 9.5. 10 is a effectively a scale of 1 to 19)

As a guy who doesn't agree with the whole grading "thing", I am obviously biased in my thoughts, but these are pure numbers we are talking about, and numbers tend to be unbiased, if looked at correctly.

We have threads on this forum that stretch onto many pages discussing whether a specific card should be given a specific grade, but we can see that, on the average, all cards are looked at by a grader for a period of time that is probably less than one minute, during which time they need to decide if it's a 15 or a 16 on the scale.

The key missing fact in my equations is the actual number of graders. Maybe they have a hundred people who get paid to grade sports cards / collectibles for a living. That would give them a lot more time per item. I'm just curious where these people come from. Maybe the really cool bagger at my local grocery store who just quit, found a new calling.

Doug
Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Yeah, but those aren't are all cards. It says 18,390,660 Collectibles Certified. Many of those items are PSA/DNA.
I would like to think that an autograph gets more than the minute I have conjectured, since I would think it would need to be compared to others. And that an old photo needs a bit of time to determine if it was printed within a certain time frame of when the photo was taken. Both of these items whould then leave even less time for the cards.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Doug Goodman

Sorry guys, I'll stop posting on this thread, my ranting is starting to annoy even myself.

Doug
Old 12-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Brian T.

I've been surprised that it wasn't freely accessible long before now. It is a marketing tool for them. Absolutely no reason to keep it hidden.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:

Doug

Good math check. This sort of reminds me of Wilt Chamberlain claiming that he slept with over 20,000 women.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Good math check. This sort of reminds me of Wilt Chamberlain claiming that he slept with over 20,000 women.
Laughing.

The thing about that claim is that if he started when he was 18 and "slept" with one woman a day until a year before he died, we're talking over 16,000 women.

I've spent the last 28 years working for an assortment of rockstars and there are a few of them who have accumulated some numbers that make me think Wilt's claims might be true.

I'm of course using the Clinton method to define "sleeping with".

Doug
Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Zach

Quote:
Sorry guys, I'll stop posting on this thread, my ranting is starting to annoy even myself.

Doug
Don't be sorry I agree with your opinion on grading. I think it is way too much as far as a 10 point scale with little sub grades in between (Ex. 3.5).

Last edited by zljones; 12-06-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: being an idiot
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM
J.O.N

I don't have a problem with graders taking a minute or less to grade a card. I can tell if a card is authentic in seconds and can make a judgement of what it should grade in a few more seconds. Then take 20 seconds to look at it closely. Walla you have a graded card. Then there is likely an example set to compare your grade to quickly then you move on.

IT AIN'T ROCKET SURGERY.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Jimmy

Default PSA Population Report to be free as of 1/1/2012 Reply to Thread

This was a very good move, because I started drifting away from PSA this year.

Jimmy
Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
"Mint" would be anything that is now a 9,8.5,8,7.5 and has the same value as 9 does now. "Near Mint" would be anything that now grades a 7,6.5,6,5.5 and have the same value as a 7 does now. "Excellent" would be anything that is now a 5,4.5,4,3.5 and have the same value as a 5 does now. And "Good" would be anything that now grades a 3,2.5,or a 2 and carry the same value as a 3 now. And then "Poor" condition would be unchanged. It would be a 6 point scale maybe 7 point to add in "Fair" condition.
You are welcome to pay Mint 9 prices for 7.5 cards, 7 prices for 5.5 cards, and 5 prices for 3.5 cards. Let me know when you are ready to start paying these prices because I have some cards to sell you.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
You are welcome to pay Mint 9 prices for 7.5 cards, 7 prices for 5.5 cards, and 5 prices for 3.5 cards. Let me know when you are ready to start paying these prices because I have some cards to sell you.
Oops now that you pointed that out looks like I am a little off in what I wrote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:04 AM
rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
I don't have a problem with graders taking a minute or less to grade a card. I can tell if a card is authentic in seconds and can make a judgement of what it should grade in a few more seconds. Then take 20 seconds to look at it closely. Walla you have a graded card. Then there is likely an example set to compare your grade to quickly then you move on.

IT AIN'T ROCKET SURGERY.
A few seconds? Well if PSA does the same, that explains a lot
Old 12-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post
A few seconds? Well if PSA does the same, that explains a lot
Nah, Like any repititive job, after handling a couplea thousand, you'd get pretty quick at it... I'd bet a few of the older folks here had such a job at one time.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Rich v@n He$$

...and as was mentioned through-out this post, PSA made their pop report free as promised. Whether you have any interest in looking at it or not is up to you.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Jeff

In re to the SMR, some might maintain that its cost now more closely aligns with its value.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Default How accurate are Pop reports?

Anyone have a guess how accurate Pop reports from PSA, SGC, BVG, or anyone for that matter really are?

For instance, I can tell you at least 30 of the E98s on PSA's Pop report no longer exist in a PSA holder. I crossed them all over to SGC. Not here to bash PSA because I'm sure many a collector has taken SGC cards and done the same to PSA. I just prefer the look and quality grading of SGC (A topic that has been debated many times!) There is no way any grading company could accurately show the numbers of what is really out there, just the number in which they have graded. But it would be neat to see the numbers on how many "cross-overs" that the companies get.

Just some thoughts.
Best Wishes,
Tim Kindler
Old 01-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Joe M.

I only have a handful of cards graded by PSA, 6 to be exact. I just checked 4 were there, but 2 were not. Both N172 old Judge cards

Brouthers Bat on shoulder nm 7 and Sam Thompson Bat in right hand at side good 2. I'm guessing these might be put in one of the other poses of the players.

Found the other 4 cards N28, N29, T206 and e210

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kindler View Post
Anyone have a guess how accurate Pop reports from PSA, SGC, BVG, or anyone for that matter really are?

For instance, I can tell you at least 30 of the E98s on PSA's Pop report no longer exist in a PSA holder. I crossed them all over to SGC. Not here to bash PSA because I'm sure many a collector has taken SGC cards and done the same to PSA. I just prefer the look and quality grading of SGC (A topic that has been debated many times!) There is no way any grading company could accurately show the numbers of what is really out there, just the number in which they have graded. But it would be neat to see the numbers on how many "cross-overs" that the companies get.

Just some thoughts.
Best Wishes,
Tim Kindler
There is innaccuracy, my N172 Comisky is a PSA "A," yet the pop report shows they have no Auths.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I used to track Old Judge Population reports for SGC and to a lesser extent, PSA. SGC always had growing populations but strangely, PSA didn't. For example, on October 22nd, 2004, PSA had graded 13 total Monte Ward Old Judge cards. Fast forward about a year, September, 2005, and PSA had a total population of zero (Monte Ward). The population reduction only seemed to affect some players in the Old Judge set. I wouldn't be surprised at finding some PSA graded Old Judges that are no longer reflected in the population reports. Can't speak for other sets.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 01-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Default Pop Report

Anyone know if PSA will be offering refunds or credits for the remaining months of paid online population report/smr by users. I renewed my subscription in November so I had 10 months remaining that I had paid for.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
SGC's pop report has always been free.
but not always useful like PSA's...

for instance, how can SGC not differentiate the 3 different E90-1 cards of willie keeler (red, pink, horizontal)???? there are about 20 players in the E90-1 set that have multiple poses/different cards, but you wouldnt know it by looking at the SGC POP reports....

makes no sense IMO....
Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Brian Dwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post

for instance, how can SGC not differentiate the 3 different E90-1 cards of willie keeler (red, pink, horizontal)???? there are about 20 players in the E90-1 set that have multiple poses/different cards, but you wouldnt know it by looking at the SGC POP reports....

makes no sense IMO....
The SGC pop reports for E90-1 are broken out by variation. You have to click on the + sign to the left of the player to expand the variation listings. Adding variation specific information to the pop reports has been a priority for about the past two years. Prior to that, the variations weren't always broken out specifically, so the numbers won't always be accurate, but they can give an idea as to the relative scarcity of a variation.

For your example, SGC has graded 121 Keelers of which 80 are unclassified, 25 are pink, 5 are red, and 11 are throwing.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacktrack View Post
The SGC pop reports for E90-1 are broken out by variation. You have to click on the + sign to the left of the player to expand the variation listings. Adding variation specific information to the pop reports has been a priority for about the past two years. Prior to that, the variations weren't always broken out specifically, so the numbers won't always be accurate, but they can give an idea as to the relative scarcity of a variation.

For your example, SGC has graded 121 Keelers of which 80 are unclassified, 25 are pink, 5 are red, and 11 are throwing.

thanks for the update and thanks for SGC to correct this but these missed the boat : your example of Keelers with 80 unclassified means that info is just about useless....they should have started the variations listings from the beginning...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post

makes no sense IMO....
Hi Scott,

I agree that both pop reports have big weaknesses. PSA missed the boat by not differentiating T206 backs for many, many years. So their report is practically worthless to the growing number of T206 back collectors.

Gotta take all this info with a giant box of salt...makes me laugh when auction results show people put thousands of dollars into a card based on a grading company pop report...

Cheers,
Blair
Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac44 View Post
Anyone know if PSA will be offering refunds or credits for the remaining months of paid online population report/smr by users. I renewed my subscription in November so I had 10 months remaining that I had paid for.
metoo. any help?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Default Credit

PSA gave me the refund to use on PSA products or grading. They refused to credit my credit card.