NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Default What would you buy for $100?

Posted By: James Feagin

Finding a decent pre-war card for $100 is becoming more of a challenge. The pricing out of the "average" collector is leading more to recent vintage (ala 1950's/1960's). However, it still can be done. I would like your pics of what you could buy for only $100. These could be beaters, commons you like, type cards, mid-grade HOFers, anything. I'm very interested in your thoughts.

James

Old 10-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

Frank baker is on the back!

--Chad

Old 10-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Administrator

I LOVE t201 cards, did you pick that up on the 'bay or some other source?

Old 10-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Administrator

I also picked up a couple of PSA 2 T201 "commons" (I hate that tag as applied to vintage cards) for 15 bucks apiece and they look great. I'm not sure why they only graded a 2, actually, and I'm a pretty harsh grader myself. Man, there's lots of good stuff out there.

--Chad

Old 10-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Heck, for $100. you can get an Old Judge in surprisingly nice condition, or a Cracker Jack in absolutely fantastic shape, or maybe even a t205 with most of the gold border intact.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob (NYC)

This one was just a tad over $100:

Old 10-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

I'll second the T205 nomination. This 5 was about $85:

And this low-grade (2), but not totally heinous, Hall of Famer was a bit less than that:

Old 10-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Are all of the ebay or other auction buys? If you could reveal your sources of such good deals, I would like to know. BTW, I started this thread because of a discussion last night on the chat board. One person said "you can't find a decent card under 1K anymore".

Old 10-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Well, that might be true for that particular collector, but everybody has their own way of enjoying the hobby. But I'd say they had a pretty steep definition of what a decent card is. Feel free to ignore them. Or me, of course, and find your own buzz.

--Chad

Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob (NYC)

I get my stuff on eBay. Prewar seems to be non-existent in the Manhattan sportscard shops. But I'm just a beginner/novice/neophyte/rookie/fledgeling/initiate/fetus/newbie when it comes to prewar.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Letcha know what it looks like when it arrives...auction person couldn't make a decent scan--looked all tweedy! Hey, maybe it's all tweedy!

Here he is:

Old 10-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator

I think bargain hunting is probably one of the more exciting aspects of the hobby. It gives those on limited funds the chance to get something unique and interesting. Last month I found a 1950 Japanese Joe Dimaggio card for $50, just can't beat it.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

regarding the rising cost of pre-war cards. Yes, it would be hard to buy these cards if you're looking for high grade slabbed beauties but there is plenty to be had for the "regular guy" (or gal). I've purchased about 60 cards in the last year, mostly pre-war, almost nothing higher than SGC 40 (but nothing that looks like crap either) and have not spent more than $100 on any of them except for my '06 Hammon postcard and my Walsh T3 (I'm a White Sox collector). Among those cards: Duffy T206; Walsh National Game card; Faber/Schalk/Collins exhibits; Walsh on T201 and T202 cards; Lyons goudey; Simmons Wheaties; Scott Cracker Jack; Hooper W575; Collins W515--all told, some 40 different types. Now I know that I'm not going after the Matty's, Cobb's and Tinker's (and the White Sox don't seem to command a premium and are not blessed with the great names of the game) but I've seen an awful lot (mostly on eBay) that I think most collectors would appreciate. Be patient, don't get discouraged, and don't get caught up in the high end of the hobby unless you've got a nice bankroll to invest.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Nothing good for under $1k? Geez, I could put a hell of a dent in my collection for $1k. I've only spent more than $100 for 2 cards in the past year, a nice looking 1940 Play Ball DiMaggio and an e101 Wagner (still waiting for this baby to come back from the slabbers). I even picked up a 30s Ruth card for under $100.

Obviously, if you are condition sensative, then there isn't much to be had for $100, but for the us average Jo's, there is plenty out there for use. We just need to realize that we arent' going to own a set of NM t205s or other vintage set.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

It's not a baseball card and it's not Pre-War, but I recently bought this original Vogue magazine photo for well under $100, and am happy with the price (I would have paid over $100).

A well known sports hobby person who knew I collected fashion photography said he wouldn't auction fashion photos as the images might offend people. I got a chuckle out of that, as the above is what I think of as fashion photography, while he obviously was imagining something else.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Administrator

I wish that I could see that fashion photograph through your eyes drcycleback. I just don't get it. (Which is what my wife says to me about many of my cards).

Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Don't get it either. Skinny chick on steps scratching head. I guess it's just like old guy with a stick ready to swing.

I would hit up some T206 Hall Of Famers for $100. Just picked up a nice Mordecai Brown Portrait in VG-EX for $105.

DJ

Old 10-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

If you allow me some slack, I just picked this up for $25 over your max:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 10-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Administrator

My posting is just a photo, and there's no requirement that people like or get it.

Though if the same photo was from 1909 and pictured Ty Cobb, it would probably sell for over $1,000 at MastroNet.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

David, the thread asked for pics of cards you could purchase under $100 and you bring us "miss pouty pants on a door step". No problem as I enjoy the passions of other people and that's cool if you enjoy it and collect it.

In 1909, Ty Cobb was the most baseball player in the world and lesser players can be had for far, far less. Is this "chick" the Ty Cobb of today? What makes this so valuable?

DJ

Old 10-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

and someone picked up a pretty decent T207 Armando Marsans in nice eye appeal for about $55. There were 2 on at the same time which might have caused a little confusion, but that was a helluva buy.
P.S. Just noticed the buyer's name. Leon you dog Nice pick up. There were buy requests on this card 6 months ago offering $100-150 for this card in VG.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I picked this card up for $75 on ebay (with a BIN):

And this one for under $200 on ebay (I know the thread was about cards under $100, but this is a damn nice card and substantially under 1k):

Old 10-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

fan, as a rule. The jacket is sort of retro, isn't it/ or is the picture not new?

Old 10-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Julie, I have no great insight into clothes and wouldn't admit it if I did (though I don't think the clothes here are retro). The last pair of shoes I got was at Sears.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

An E101 in VG grade is at the top of my list. However, I would consider a nice exhibit HOF card or National Game card.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

David: Re.

davidcycleback
(Login drcycleback) Re: What would you buy for $100? October 7 2005, 4:36 PM

My posting is just a photo, and there's no requirement that people like or get it.

I simply wished that I could enjoy one more thing which eludes most.

Gilbert

Old 10-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Gil, I can best put it this way. The photograph collector collect images, and what image is interesting or appealing is up to the individual. If I laid out 20 of my photos (I own fashion, baseball, football, political, etc) and had ten people look at them, each person might pick different ones they liked and different ones they didn't like. And none of their picks may match picks. And that's okay, because there's no correct answer.

Below are three photos (top Joe Louis trying to make friend with a dog, Sophia Loren holding a fish and Ronald and Nancy Reagan at the movies). You may like one, all three or none. So, if I post a photo I paid money for, and someone doesn't like or get it, that is not only okay, it is a normal occurance. Heck, this is board of Pre-War baseball card collectors, and if there was a write in vote on what is the best looking baseball card there would probably be over 50 different cards voted for.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

David:

When one buys photos it appears to me that there is an appreciation beyond "oh gee, I like that". Because I feel the oh gee toward each of the three examples which you offered above. However,

"I recently bought this original Vogue magazine photo for well under $100, and am happy with the price (I would have paid over $100)".

This level of appreciation infers an ability to establish selection criteria beyond the oh gee understanding; and this quantity of sophistication is what I regret that I aspire to be a novice.

Simply stated: you have been posting pictures for years and I have never understood what you see in them. But since you continue in this vein, I can only conclude that you are sincere. Is it your contention that you have a personal singularity in your preference for these pictures? Or is your appreciation more mainstream?

Gilbert

Old 10-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Collecting photographs as a whole is a hobby. If it appears in a photograph, there are people who collect them. There are people who collect photos of cats, dogs, baseball players, houses, actors, boxers, directors, plants, mountains, cars, insects, cameras, football, equipment, graveyards .... Fashion as a specific photographic genre is well established and has been around since the 1800s. There are more collectors of fashion photography than baseball photography, and the most expensive fashion photos sell for substantially more than the most expensive baseball photos.

The criteria for judging a fashion photo is similar to judging a baseball photo-- including age, originality, photographer, subject, size, rarity of subject, stamping, etc.

Gil, your inquiries on the subject are legitimate. But it is a timely juxtaposition as about a week ago some photo stuff I did was reviewed by a London photography writer. The writer said great about the fashion photos, but didn't care for the baseball photos as he didn't follow the sport.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Sometimes David, I lose sight of the fact that Burdick had no trouble grasping. My interests concentrated on here, certainly represent a specialization of no interest nor understanding to most.

I did not know that the collection of photographs was as widespread and diverse as it is. But I am continually astounded at the diversity and even more, the depth of the collecting which seems to intrigue many. But not all. I once had an acquaintance tell me when pressed (I guess) for her collecting interests "I collect dust". How refreshing that was, and how I wonder what it is like to be totally free from this passion. I have never felt that freedom.

Thank you.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tobacco-r-us

What would you buy for $100?
October 7 2005 at 8:21 AM James Feagin (Login Orioles1954)

------------------------------------
"Finding a decent pre-war card for $100 is becoming more of a challenge. The pricing out of the "average" collector is leading more to recent vintage (ala 1950's/1960's). However, it still can be done. I would like your pics of what you could buy for only $100. These could be beaters, commons you like, type cards, mid-grade HOFers, anything. I'm very interested in your thoughts."

James
-----------------------------------
BTW Leon, that was a very nice catch for $55.00

T217 MONO R. Couchman, L.A.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Administrator

UhOh - its the thread cops!

He did it - It was Him, him, him.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tobacco-r-us

Put your hands on the squad car, spread your leags.
We wanta see if you got any fashion pictures onya.
And they betta be pre war vintage.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Below is an original 1935 Vogue magazine photograph of boxer Joe Louis photographed by a legendary female fashion photographer (Lusha Nelson). Signed and dated on back by the photographer. As it was photographed for Vogue by a known fashion photographer, this would be categorized as a fashion photo (as well as a sports photo)