NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default Has Anyone Intentionally Downsized Their Collection and Have Been Happy About It?

Posted By: James Feagin

My collection is neither big or important. It has an approximate Ebay/Auction value of $15-20K. The recent economic crisis has hit our family rather hard. One of the options I am exploring is liquidating most of my collection and just keep a handful of cards/items that are meaningful to me. It won't get us out of the woods, but it will SURE help. At first thought, I started cringing about giving up some cards that I've invested a lot of time in acquiring. However, after thinking about it, I am starting to look at this as an opportunity to explore what I really am interested in and potentially start over some day. Has anyone else done this? I am looking for thoughts to see if they've ever regretted it or have learned to appreciate the experience.

James

Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Default Has Anyone Intentionally Downsized Their Collection and Have Been Happy About It?

Posted By: nbrazil

ive gone back to school recently and was forced to sell off some of my collection. i actually feel it was a good thing because it forced me to focus and really determine what I am truly interested in collecting. When you dont reign in your collecting habits, you tend to dive into different sets with little regard to long term interest. Some of this is good because it allows you to explore sets and handle different card types. But, it also draws you away from sets/goals you established early on. Focus is an important part of card collecting, especially in pre war when cards can be quite expensive. Financial constraints force you to focus. So, you may find it hard to part with some of your cards...but, the silver lining is that it also allows you to really hone into what cards/sets you are truly interested in collecting.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

James - about a year ago I started downsizing my collection from a "collect anything that meets my fancy" style to a disciplined 25 (or so) card collection. I've been very happy with the narrower focus and it forces me to sell a card when I want to pickup a new one. I miss some of my old cards, but have enjoyed the change.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

James- you have to respond to the things in your life that are most important. Cardboard is replaceable, your family is not. Take care of them first, and one day in the future things may be better and you may buy those cards back again. I used to have a big 19th century collection and I sold almost all of it. It was fun owning when I did but there were other priorities in my life. I really don't regret it, but I know it can be difficult. You need to come to peace with that.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I was an active collector for such a long time, and then many responsibilities came into play and much of my collection was sold off. I now buy and sell a lot more and enjoy it just the same as a part-time dealer. James you can always buy more, when it maybe better for you financially. Having the opportunity to enjoy items for a little amount of time is okay with me, because I always find something else just as interesting.

Good Luck

Jimmy

Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i went from collecting all sports cards to just baseball about 20 years ago. selling all my 1960's thru 80s basketball/hockey and football sets and stars and memoribilia. i then stopped buying contemporary baseball cards in about 1992 & sold off all my 1978 thru 90's baseball sets.then about 5 years ago sold all my 1965 thru 1977 baseball sets,and all my non complete 50s baseball and all my baseball memoribilia. if money were not an issue i would still own it all. i really never regretted these moves as it has helped me continue to buy just pre war baseball and with limited funds. sure i miss all this stuff but its not like losing family or friends and can say i really don't regret it at all.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

perhaps not in terms of overall value -- but I collect significantly less "things" today than I did 5-10 years ago. I find that I enjoy it more, so fewer collectibles, more organization = higher collecting happiness.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

James-Hate to hear that things have gotten a little pinched for you, it happens to us all (or at least most of us) at one time or another. Although the economy stinks right now, the card market is still decent enough that you should be able to do fine selling. I would suggest that you might try posting something on the BST and avoid the eBay fees.
Good luck buddy,
tbob

Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

"One of the options I am exploring is liquidating most of my collection and just keep a handful of cards/items that are meaningful to me."

this is what i've done...not because i'm feeling the affects of the economy, per se, but rather just trying to pay off some debt and i've also been shifting towards game-used bats and other memorabilia...so most of my cards had to go...i like the more stream-lined collection now.

it actually feels great to be able to strip free of certain cards/items i've been holding onto for years, just for the sake of holding onto them (hope that makes sense). there were many cards i owned, that i put this ridiculous pressure on myself to never sell or trade them, etc...but that is just dumb. sometimes you need to step back and look at the big picture...believe me, i'm just as obsessed with cardboard as all of us, but at the end of the day...it's only cardboard.

edited to say good luck.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I sold off the last of my cards earlier in the year. I don't regret doing it because the bills needed to be paid, but I sure wish I didn't have to do it...

Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

You can always buy more cards but if you need the $$, then there is no real choice. Do what's best for your family.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

You can always buy more cards but if you need the $$, then there is no real choice. Do what's best for your family.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

James - Good question. My "collection" is very small & insignificant, so I can't really respond to "downsizing" it, but I'm intentionally refocusing & downsizing the "research" & "archival" aspect of it. This hobby is suppposed to be fun, not preparing for multiple doctorates !

Old 10-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Never mind. My mistake.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

In response to the title of this thread.....

No.

Also, if I ever would downsize?

No.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...selling off most of my T206 set. There are a couple of cards that I miss -- my SGC 60 Del Howard, Cycle Back, comes to mind -- but I don't sweat them very much. In large measure, I really don't miss them and they were actually a lot easier to sell than I thought they would be. And, I actually found it kind of fun.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daryle

I'm doing it now. Wanna pay some things off (vehicle,etc,etc.....) I have stuff on B/S/T now and probably more to come. I'm gonna sell "around" the stuff I really wanna keep. Gonna send some to auctions. Will sell the stuff I really wanna keep only if I have to. Really don't wanna sell my '52 Topps set. That was a major accomplishment for me as I am on a very limited budget. The Joe Jackson RC isn't going anywhere (hopefully). I bought that card way back when so I don't have near as much in it as it would bring now. There are a few more cards (sets) I wanna keep and hopefully I can. More I think about I feel like I won't miss most of this stuff.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

James

When I started Law School I had about 200 Old Judge cards as well as several rare 19th century types like 4-5 SF Hess cards, a couple of Yum Yum's and a Sporting Times card, a complete ER Williams set etc. etc. I basically had to sell it all to put my family thorugh school and then start over. Do I miss the cards? Of course I do. Do I regret the decision? Not a bit. Nothing comes before your family and ultimately a happy home makes a happier man than a baseball card ever will. I know you have a young family and I also know you are a great Dad and a good guy. You will miss the cards but if done for the right reason you will never regret it.

Rhys

Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

I went through my collection with the wife tonight. I'm going to keep my Tattoo Orbit near set, my newly acquired HRK Castleton and 4-5 other $500-1000 cards. Everything else will go. Looking at what I have left, it looks very very small, but actually very very organized as well. Unless the card is one of the final 9 Tattoo Orbit cards I need, I'm under a total spending freeze. Thanks for all of your support. It will really help with these tough times.

James

Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Administrator

By the way, the family and I went to Toyrs R' Us tonight just to get some Christmas ideas for the kids. I was suprised when my little two year-old girl, Elena, pointed out the new packs of Topps cards and exclaimed "Daddy's baseball cards!" Maybe I will open a few packs with her of some cheap newer stuff

Old 10-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

James - glad to hear you came to a good compromise and you involved your family in the process. My kids enjoy collecting with me and I bet you'd have a blast with your kids and a few packs of the shiny stuff.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dwight

I began with a hodgepodge of about 350 cards, and mostly T206s. I began selling them piecemeal about a year ago. All but a handful are gone. I've begun to focus on a T210 series. Now I'm on a mission. I do miss the other cards, but I think this is more purposeful for me. I think all of us would love to own every card we see, but we have to draw the line somewhere. To each his/her own (budget:).