NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-17-2017, 02:17 PM

Its all about the chase.

Set collectors get to enjoy this to infinity. There is never a moment when there is not something you need out there.

I love this aspect of the hobby.
RayB
Old 11-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Jim McKinley

Default The Chase

What I have found is that there is definitely a cadence when collecting a set by hand.

For me, it usually starts with buying a couple of different lots to get started... Then it seems that every card in the set you see for sale is one you need! It is awesome. Every day seems to bring another new purchase to you in the mail....

After awhile, things start slowing down a bit as you start seeing fewer cards that you "need"... Less mail shows up at your door...

Then comes the long slog... Only 10 cards left.... 9 cards left... Getting each one feels like an accomplishment but the gaps between acquisitions get longer... Where is all of my mail?

And then... finally... SUCCESS! You get the last card you need and your DONE! Well... almost... you start looking at your set and realize that you need to upgrade... Wash... Rinse... Repeat...

I am three years into building my 1953 Bowman Color set. Stuck in the long slog... 10 cards left and counting...
Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Brandon Bailey

I enjoy collecting the set and putting it together Card by card. Investment wise I’m sure it is cheaper to buy the whole set but as a collector it is far more enjoyable putting the set together Card by card. For most of us the farther you go back the less likely it is to have the money to buy the whole set at once.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Arrow

Thanks for all of the input!
It is good to hear the varied opinions.
I started collecting in 1976 with the gift of a complete set.
I then worked on every set going forward. I sold that collection
to buy diapers and food for children.
I have now been collecting for several years again and enjoy the set building experience. I am also looking to
eventually sell my collection again for a fair price.

I just appreciate what you all have to say.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Mark Arentsen

Smile To Infinity, and beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Its all about the chase.

Set collectors get to enjoy this to infinity. There is never a moment when there is not something you need out there.

I love this aspect of the hobby.
RayB
Amen brother!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 AM

I have recently gotten back into collecting over the past few years, and love building sets. T75 was/is my favorite childhood set and I bought a nice complete EX/EX+ one since my own stack of 75's some of which I owned for 40+ years varied from F to EX+.

But since then I have built up other vintage sets in other manners: buying starter lots, first on ebay, then on this board while filling in the key cards from shows, the major dealers (eg. Dean or 707), then ebay and even trading w/ other members here, which is more fun and less expensive in many cases. Slower of course but more interactive in the absence of live trading which is hard because of distance and time.

So I'm open to trading in order help each other complete sets!
Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Jeff H

My son and I both collect sets. I am currently working on the 55 Bowman baseball set(need 25-30 to finish). No hurry as I look for cards in the 5-7 grade range. I'm 2 1/2 years into the set. My son started his 1970 baseball set at the same time I started the 55's. Today at a show he found his last card to complete his set (Mazeroski). As we were leaving the show he says to me "now what do I do, my set is done. I guess I'll have to start another set"
The hunt for cards is a lot of fun, especially when you are with your son. Even if he is 39 years old.