NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-28-2021, 04:25 PM
Banned

Default Authenticating 19th century baseball cabinet cards

Hello my name is Shaun and I’m a new member. I’ve stumbled on this site in the past doing Baseball research and was recommended to join when I tried a new lead on authenticating 19th century cabinet cards. I’m sure I’m not alone in the problems I’m running into. I collected cards as a kid in the 80’s and 90’s and moved on to other stuff as an adult that forced me to learn photograph history. I made my way back to cards about 5 years ago and realized the photograph history is very helpful in finding baseball cabinet cards. I picked a couple images of big name players and went about trying to authenticate them. No luck. I was discouraged and gave up for about 3 years. My first son being born lit a fire a little while back and I got back in it. Still the same problem. I’ve contacted the three companies. They pretty much need proof the cards have already been identified as the player by somebody else. I’ve sent scans of players in uniform and they still need 2 sources showing proof it is what it is. With all the money there is in sports collectibles, why isn’t there a company who can authenticate an image. The 3 graders seem to tip toe around the subject. If that aspect is not worth it for them to do, why hasn’t anybody else stepped in. Seems like a lot of money being left on the table. Can anybody give me advice?
Old 06-28-2021, 05:11 PM
Joe M.

Can you post pictures?

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-28-2021, 05:25 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Hello Shaun, welcome.

There are two steps here . . .

1) confirming the cabinet authentic (In your case, I presume 19th albumen print).

2) Correctly identifying the subject matter.

Step 1 can be executed with some confidence, step 2 can be difficult. As Joe Maples requested, share some images and we can collectively suggest how significant the 2nd hurdle would be.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-28-2021, 06:12 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The second part of what Joe mentioned is certainly the more difficult part. If the player is from a well known team and is in uniform the process is easier. If it is an early image and not in uniform then identification is problematic. Collectors often see what they want to see and, unless the image has good provenance (like coming from the family of the player), the odds are against the image being of someone famous.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:45 PM
Banned

Default Edwin “Ed” Scott

I’ll start with a uniformed player. 1900 Cincinnati Reds. Edwin “Ed” Scott. PSA and SGC have seen it. No go. They want proof. Is a uniform and FBI facial recognition techniques enough proof. How about a turn of the century mount on the card? I tried to upload the photo twice. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 704827D4-7780-46BD-B8D1-AA243DEEC9C3.jpg (10.3 KB, 375 views)
Old 06-28-2021, 06:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Post the image on a photo sharing website and then use the URL to create an image link. Images uploaded to this site will be too small to properly inspect items like this or see facial features.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:46 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
The second part of what Joe mentioned is certainly the more difficult part. If the player is from a well known team and is in uniform the process is easier. If it is an early image and not in uniform then identification is problematic. Collectors often see what they want to see and, unless the image has good provenance (like coming from the family of the player), the odds are against the image being of someone famous.
Yup Jay, those cabinets with no uniform can be somebodies relative, not ball player.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-29-2021, 11:32 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Uploading photos for Shaun.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR1.jpg (79.1 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg SR2.jpg (60.4 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg SR5.jpg (79.0 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg SR4.jpg (71.9 KB, 310 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-29-2021, 12:18 PM

Default Question

I know I am in the minority, but if you already know the identity of the player, like Scott above, and know the photo is authentic, why in the world do want to pay to encapsulate it? Personally I would never pay more for a 19th century image just because it was encased. (By the way, I am not saying that image is or isn’t Scott, I am taking your word for it.) If the photos you have are professional players there is a very good chance someone on here will Id them for you. If they can’t Id them, I don’t believe there much chance a grading company will be able to Id them.
Old 06-29-2021, 12:47 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Looks like Jim O'Rourke in two of the photos - #s 1 and 4 on the top row as they show up on my screen.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 06-29-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:45 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Jim O’Rourke is definitely photo 1 and, in my mind, probably but not certainly photo 4.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:28 PM
Banned

The reason I need the images/cabinets slabbed is because the auction houses tell me they need to be slabbed to sell. The common response I get from auction houses presently: 1. We want to get these slabbed at your cost before we sell them. If I bother to ask if the listing is contingent on the encapsulation, they never include that answer in their response. What happens is they stop responding when they realize the graders don’t authenticate or they go ahead and sell it unslabbed under a very vague listing that is doomed to fail. Sometimes they just send it back. 2. Prove it. I thought that is part of why the auctions are taking money as a third party. Is that unprofessional or what? 3. The latest greatest from the wonderful auction houses-We will not confirm or deny it is said player. One of the auction houses told me “don’t show me nothing unless they’re in a uniform.” I apologized to him and sent him a scan of a Bruce Petway snapshot in Detroit Stars uniform with his catchers glove doing pre game warm ups. He hasn’t responded to me since. The reason I want to sell 19th century cabinets is that I am an aging man with a young family. My wife was born a war refugee and is a cancer survivor. Trying to provide my family a better life is the least I can do. If slabbing is worthless, what’s my move eBay? What’s a Gilbert & Bacon Jim O’Rourke worth? I don’t understand with all the money in baseball, how is eBay the move?
Old 06-29-2021, 07:33 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Jim O’Rourke is definitely photo 1 and, in my mind, probably but not certainly photo 4.
Jay - FWIW, I did a little Googling and according to SABR, photo 4 is O'Rourke.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/jim-orourke-2/

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 06-29-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:17 AM

Default Really?

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 11.15.41 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 11.15.20 AM.jpg
Old 06-30-2021, 09:28 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Regardless of who the owner thinks is on that cabinet card, if you are looking to sell it no one is going to authenticate that it is Jim O'Rourke and no one is going to pay what an O'Rourke cabinet would go for.

Why? It looks nothing like him.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 06-30-2021, 09:43 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
If your comparative images had red squiggly lines, they would be way more believable!
Old 06-30-2021, 08:16 PM

Default Really?

Farmer Vaughn Cabinet. Not only no uniform, but sold here on BST last month.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.13.10 PM.jpg
Old 06-30-2021, 08:54 PM
Banned

For the record I apologized again. There is no point of authenticating for me so I will leave the forum with my tail between my legs. It’s been fun gentleman. As you were.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:10 PM
Banned

1 more post. Tell him I don’t need to know what he thinks of the O’Rourke, I already know.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:15 PM
Banned

Alright last post. I really didn’t know the kahoona had direct ties to this forum. I would have bet he did, but I just stumbled on this trying to authenticate.