NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default Let's See Some SGC Mistakes & Overgrades

Posted By: Lee Behrens

OK, Guys. There seems to be people on this board that do not like the so called PSA bashing on the board. Well heres your chance to bash SGC. I want to see SGC mistakes and overgrades (2 grades at least, in your opinion). There seems to be alot of talk and not much walk on this issue.

This is one I don't like in my collection because of the left panel, I feel it got overgraded and should not be more than a 50. I have about 500 SGC graded cards and that is the only one I feel is not off by one grade above or below, IMHO.

I also had a SGC 84 with a spot of paper loss on the back, that I sent back to them they graded it properly and compensated for the grade difference.

Lee

Old 05-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...one is that my T206 "A.O. Jordan" was mislabeled "Tim Jordan, Batting" -- a fairly understandable mistake that SGC will fix for me I am sure.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The other is that I am sometimes concerned that their little black inserts fit too snugly on the card and can leave impressions in the edges of cards. I have one or two cards that I think I can identify where the inserts left an impression on the cards. It didn't change the overall grade, because we were at 60 and under, here, but it was somewhat disappointing nonetheless. (And in one instance they fixed the insert to make it fit a little bit better.)

Otherwise, I've got about 250-75 SGC graded cards and no other complaints to report.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

AKA Merkle's Boner Part 2
http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_5.html

In all fairness, that was several owners ago, and I know Dave Forman is doing a very conscientious job of clearing up past mistakes.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

All grading companies make mistakes and will continue to do so.
Its the nature of the beast. For them to make $$$ they most grade the
cards quickly, and mistakes will happen.
SGC had a $4 special and PSA currently has a $5 special/
W/ huge submissions its hard to view each card over & over again
and a grader can't take 15 minutes to decide a grade when there's a ton
of more submissions waiting to be graded.
With that said, I think both companies do an excellent job overall.
Neither is 100%, nor do they claim to be.

I have had cards mislabeled by PSA & SGC, and all were corrected
when brought to their attention.
Currently I have an SGC Tharps that they labeled Yuengling.
No biggee on my end, will give it to them at the Fort on Friday
and it will be taken care of.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Old 05-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

Old 05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

SGC is by far the most accurate grader in the buisness. There is always going to be mistakes but they make the fewest by far.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

Percentage wise they are not that far off from PSA.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

we have all seen errors by both companies. i have had some from psa and some form sgc in my possesion from time to time. i do not scan these errors....save them for an sgc or psa bashing thread. i have the errors corrected and move on. so i guess i won't do too much walkin' on this thread either.
certainly both companies make errors. sgc will go a lot further to correct their mistakes. psa will correct their errors but i am not aware of them compensating anyone as a result of their mistake.
but i will tell you a couple stories from my experience....
i own an sgc graded s74-1, but when i spoke to sean and dave at last years national they both said they do not grade silks.
i also have had a rare issue variation returned by sgc for questionable authenticity. it is 100% authentic.
do they make mistakes or have inconsistancies, yes.
but they're human, as are all graders. not machines.

if you want to discuss certain cards, raw or graded....that's fine, imo. to bash a company (either) every single time the topic comes up is useless and after a while it does become annoying.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

I guess it seems like that to me, anyway............

One is perhaps as acknowledged as tighter quality control, better finish, better assumed quality, etc...........the other has a larger range, mass market exposure, value for money, etc....

It does seem strange to me that psa can draw such strong feelings one way or the other. I mean, it's just another group of "experts", no different to the rest of us, with a prescribed measuring system that they attempt to stick to when judging the merits of sports cards. Same as SGC. Same as Beckett. So you prefer one over the other in terms of their opinion? Great. Go buy their service, but is it really all that interesting to carry a chip over?
Errors?
Yeah, same as anything you buy.
Levi's with defective seams, Sony televisions that don't live up to the name, Coke made in Mexico............

They all fix their mistakes if you draw attention to it, for the rest of it.........as our motto reads - "Buy the card, not the yada yada yada"

I like SGC better myself, think psa is the weaker service, but so what? You should buy and use the service you like best and if I like your card enough, I'll buy it no matter what - if you give me half the chance!

Daniel

AAARGH! Sorry guys, meant to leave this diatribe on the "Trimmed Cards" thread. Too embarrassed to say it all twice, so forgiveth me my dementia!

Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Percentage wise, its not even close. PSA makes more mistakes than the ones here in an afternoon.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Coke made in Mexico
Actually the coke made in mexico blows the coke made here away. here we use corn syrup there they still use sugar. the taste is far superior when sugar is used.

As for the main topic here............not for me.

Steve

PS when you said "coke made in mexico" youdid mean coca cola? lol

Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

They all make mistakes. PSA and GAI are better than not graded, though I trust BVG more than I do GAI...but that is a personal opinion only. Here's a nice one from the guys I still trust the most.....argh....pet peeve....

Old 05-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

I think I understand where Lee is coming from with the point of this thread and while it is not as ruthless as others who have posted similar topics, it does seem to be somewhat improper or pointless. We all know that grading companies make mistakes so why is it that we feel the need to have a public hanging, per se, every so often? We pay them for their services, they do the best they can with what they have for the money we pay them. Obviously some companies make fewer errors than others and therefore really do a better job.

Although this is not really directed at anyone in particular, I am just wondering who decided it was ok to put grading companies under the microscope 24/7? This is not to say that we should ignore the errors and mistakes but why crucify them publicly for doing their job? I don’t think there is anyone on here who could tolerate being under that constant scrutiny or pressure knowing that if they messed up they were going to be made a fool of on a board like this. It has also been my observation that rarely, if at all, do threads get started singing praises for the job they do when they do it right.

Again, this is not directed at Lee for raising the thread but moreover just a reaction to having threads like this in the first place. I just do not see anything beneficial coming from them. Just an opportunity for us to moan, as I am now doing.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: aro13

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1124254926/

To me the response to this thread was interesting. If you had substituted the word PSA for SGC as the company making the labelling error I would guess there would have been more responses.