NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Default What is YOUR reason for going to the National ?

Posted By: Alan

There are about 40 sports auction houses, ebay, and the B/S/T threads available to buy cards so...I'm just wondering what is everyone's reason for actually going to the national show in July (obviously other than than the Network 54 dinner meet & greet) ?????

When I went to the Atlantic City national in 2003, I was really disappointed with the show generally, but meeting the dealers, other collectors, making contacts, etc,... really made it worthwhile.

Alan

Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i went to the national in chicago last year and bought nothing for myself! I was disappointed at the high prices as well. but...I did get some cards graded by scg and I got to meet Leon and a few others from the board. I just like to look at stuff and talk to other collectors. will I go this year...probably nopt...I can't drive there in a timely fashion. like the entire hobby...the once yearly national isn't what it once was!

pete in mn

Old 05-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The big reasonfor going is the face time with other collectors. Last year was my first National since setting up in 1991. It was great to meet the people of the board and put faces and personalities to the names. Plus, the late night bull session was even better than the dinner. The best part was when someone mistook Rob Van Dam in the bar for a hot chick, lmao!!!

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

To find those last few 2006 Topps Heritage single prints...

Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

I go to crash the major auction house parties for high rollers. Hookers and free drinks, that's worth a 3000 mile trip isn't it?

Old 05-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

LOL.. I dont know about you but I will be attending the International National.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

Free hookers and booze? I definitely should have bid higher in all the auctions. Are they high grade,mid grade or god forbid low grade?

Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I promised my 12-year old son that I would take him. It's a great chance for him to see in person cards that he might only otherwise see on eBay or in auction catalogues. He's a big fan of the pre-war HOF'ers; especially Cobb, Matty and Honus.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 05-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

mainly to meet this group but i'll be looking at a bunch of cards "first hand" for once, instead of on the internet

Old 05-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Disneyland?

Actually, there's something about the ability to examine cards in hand as opposed to a website. You also have more of an ability to negotiate, as opposed to bid-warring. For some, trading is also an option that is only available on the board.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I live next door.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

1. I had a great time last year meeting a lot of you folks.
2. To go though piles of T206s and make my last dozen or so upgrades.
3. To see and potentially buy cards in person.
4. To get a few cards graded.
5. To visit my parents and other friends who live in L.A.

JimB

Old 05-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

It is great fun.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

To put faces with names. There aren't many deals at the National and if you go for that reason, you'll be disappointed. I also was disappointed in the lack of off the beaten track cards, like D311s and even M116s, but the comraderie (sp?) made it worthwhile, that and finally getting to Wrigley.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

then the National is a bonanza . Seriously, I find that with effort there are great cards and great deals to be had, but you have to be willing to wade through a lot of dreck to get to them.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Jennifer and I will be having a booth at the national at which examples of her paintings of vintage baseball players will be on sale.

I've been to one National before (Anaheim, 1996? I think), and it was fun even though I only knew a few people. It will be great to put a face and a real life personality to the net54ers. (And one thing is guaranteed, you will all ask the question: what the heck is Jennifer doing with that guy?)

Max

http://www.ettinger.ca

http://www.flickr.com/photos/baseballart

Old 05-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Hopefully going to work a booth with a dealer. But I just like to visit with people. I could chat all day long. Just ask my wife. I love being surounded by this stough. I am a sick man, I know that. If I find a few nuggets there, so much the better, but mostly to meet people and shoot the breeze.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

im planning to go to my first one this year since it's in CA. Not expecting to buy anything...just go for the experience. hopefully, i'll meet some of you guys as well.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

I'm going to meet people, talk to friends, see amazing cards that I can't afford, and to spend time with the kids showing them about the hobby. Friday kids are free and a number of activities are too. Last year my son had a great time dressing up like a ball player for an old-time picture, getting numerous cards, meeting some players and getting their autographs, and seeing me buy some cool cards with money meant for his college fund...

Old 05-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I will be setting up a booth for vintagepricecards.com for our launching of the site and promoting it. Would really like it if all of you come by and see it or just say hi so we can put some faces to the names on the board. If anybody wants to help work it email me and we can see what we can do. The site is almost completed and should be live in the near future.