NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default O/T A Bit of Irony in Advertising....1957 Baseball Postcard

This postcard's content, with respect to the advertising, struck me a bit funny. The addressee could be interesting too....Could have been an invoice on how much was owed? And lastly, did the batter hit a homer and they are waiting for the ball to be thrown back in? So many questions .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXTLdCxMxBw

Old 10-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Default Very nice postcard

The sender is trying to win the Travel showcase with his guess. Interesting that
someone at the Price Is Right saved his card.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 AM
And.rew Whi.te

From Wikipedia....Not the most reliable source but I think in this case its one of the best

Home Viewer Showcases
The Price Is Right frequently featured a home viewer "Showcase", a multi-prize package for which home viewers were invited to submit their bids via postcard. The viewer who was closest to the actual retail price without going over won everything in the Showcase, but one item was sometimes handmade so the viewer could not check the price of all the items. The term "showcase" was later replaced by "sweepstakes".

Very often, home viewers were stunningly accurate with their bids, including several viewers who guessed the price correct down to the penny. In such a case, the tied contestants were informed and asked to give the price of a specific item; this continued until one of the contestants broke the tie (re-ties and all-overbids were thrown out.)

The Home Viewer Showcase was reformatted as the final round of the current CBS version. The two Showcase Showdown (since 1975; before then, and on the 1970s and 1980s syndicated shows, the top two overall winners automatically advanced to the Showcase round) winners on the current version's show compete to bid on separate showcases of prizes, with the contestant who bids closer (without going over) to the actual retail price of his/her own showcase winning the prizes contained within.

Home Viewer Showcases have also been featured on the CBS version, in 1972, 1978, annually from 1980–1987, 1990, and in 2011. Its format was unchanged through 1990, but the 2011 version, because of the advance in technology, changed to a ten-prizes-in-a-week format, with two prizes appearing per episode during the week. Each day the price of one of the prizes was revealed to the home audience, and the price of the second prize (which was in either of the two Showcases) was not provided. Instead of postcards, the bids had to be submitted through the show's website.[1]
Old 10-08-2017, 04:46 PM

Wow, that is really cool! I'd be geeked to find something like that in my travels. I love offbeat things like this. My wife found an early 1900's Singer postcard from Fall River, Massachusetts and the store managers name which is on back, is Borden. Didn't realize that till we got home.

Awesome crossover piece! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:08 PM
S Gross

So FUN at so many levels.

Agree Right Fielder is asking guy beyond fence to throw back HR ball.

Wind blowing hard to right.

The players "seem" a tad big for Little League.

Man, those front row HP seats are pretty sweet !!!!

Finally, I have a feeling that Scrooge's Bar was one of those places, where you walked in at 18, and walked out at 80 ....................

Yes, Fun, Scott
Old 10-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
So FUN at so many levels.

Agree Right Fielder is asking guy beyond fence to throw back HR ball.

Wind blowing hard to right.

The players "seem" a tad big for Little League.

Man, those front row HP seats are pretty sweet !!!!

Finally, I have a feeling that Scrooge's Bar was one of those places, where you walked in at 18, and walked out at 80 ....................

Yes, Fun, Scott
You are right, it does say "field". Maybe they are older and playing on a little league field....
Old 10-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Bessemer, MI is a small town.

To get four umpires there for a little league game seems unlikely.

To have four umpires there for any game seems problematic as well.

I agree with the comment about the wind direction.

I think the winner of “The Price Is Right” contest that week was from Tennessee, but I could be wrong.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:49 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
Wow, that is really cool! I'd be geeked to find something like that in my travels. I love offbeat things like this. My wife found an early 1900's Singer postcard from Fall River, Massachusetts and the store managers name which is on back, is Borden. Didn't realize that till we got home.

Awesome crossover piece! Thanks for sharing.
Ted,

Awesome find! You may have to explain though as many might not understand the connection....
Old 10-09-2017, 09:51 AM

Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Ted,

Awesome find! You may have to explain though as many might not understand the connection....

..Yeah I was just about ready to axe him that....

Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
Ted,

Of course. I just assumed....should give myself 41 whacks.

Fall River Mass. is the home of the famous Lizzie Borden murders.

“Lizzie Borden had an axe, gave her mother 40 whacks. When she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41.”
Old 10-09-2017, 07:09 PM

Default Nothing is sacred....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
Of course. I just assumed....should give myself 41 whacks.

Fall River Mass. is the home of the famous Lizzie Borden murders.

“Lizzie Borden had an axe, gave her mother 40 whacks. When she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41.”

".. But you can't chop your Papa up in Massachusetts And then get dressed And go out for a walk No, you can't chop your Papa up in Massachusetts Massachusetts is a far cry From New York " -- --The Kingston Trio , about ninety-five years ago