NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Default Brown Old Mill -- This must be a mistake, no?

I just saw this on Ebay. I dont want to scuttle someone's auction, but as a Brown OM owner and someone who may want another (especially at this "negotiable" price), please let me know your thoughts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T-206-O...QAAOSwpuBZwn8q

First, how is it graded numerically? Second, where is the hand cut? Third, and I compared it to mine, the back does not look brown like mine - at best its a funky brown and more likely its a faded black.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Ben North

I agree, it looks like the faded/dull black and not brown.

In hand and with good lighting they are fairly easy to tell apart. I had a fellow member send me a few brown backs by accident once. He was in a hurry and had bad lighting in that room of his house. Lucky for him I am honest and returned them because he never noticed the mistake.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:32 PM

Apologies for the bad pics, but this is best I can do right now. The Card on the left is my Sid Smith Brown Old Mill, and the one on the right is the Ebay "Old Mill Brown" -- although, the Ebay version looks lighter on the ebay scan and my pic does not do it justice, so please see link for better view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown Om.JPG (68.7 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg OM.jpg (33.8 KB, 449 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-07-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Sean Costello

You're right, it's a mistake by PSA. The brown should be lighter, matching the brown on a Hindu back. And it should be hand cut, so it couldn't get a numeric grade.

The expression "buy the card, not the holder" was never more applicable than on this card.

Last edited by Sean; 10-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Sean Costello

Funny thing, he looks like a good seller with some experience with T206 cards. I hope that he took this card on consignment.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 PM

Faded black. (Really bad) PSA mistake.

Let the seller know.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:18 PM

Default saw this weeks ago and shook my head.....

ALL brown old mills are 100% printers scrap....

HENCE- all must be hand cut and graded "AUTH" because NONE were factory cut....all are southern leaguers ( Texas not included)

if you have to ask "is it brown??" or " does this look, uhm, brown??" then it is not a brown old mill

I believe there were 5 different brown old mill sheets that were chopped up.... some of the "scrappier" nature and have overprints on front, or are multi struck on back...some are super clean and cut neat like Sid or Dutch.... I have been wanting to write an article on this! (just like my "writing articles on proofs, yellow/brn sc fact 350 no prints, and other scrap projects I have not completed)

Thanks for posting Ryan....your example is GORGEOUS! and a true piece of history...

the color of brown old mill is a cross between broadleaf and hindu brown ... a beautiful color to me.....

extremely distinct and apparent , and they "jump" out at you....

Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 PM

Thanks for shout Johnny- I know you are a fan of this brown OM!!

Look, it's clearly not a brown OM; I was just trying to be democratic and couch my whistle-blow as a discussion. How can PSA do that??!! Is it me or does PSA have an awful record with big time t206 cards (and probably all other t206) - a fake Magee error, this BOM and of course the Gretzky Wagner, among others. Yet their flips get a major premium over SGC. As a collector of t206, I personally think PSA sucks ass and SGC is far superior. Hell, I may take BVG over PSA.

PS, REA has a gorgeous, and REAL, brown OM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

PS, REA has a gorgeous, and REAL, brown OM.
I think that the Brown OM in REA used to belong to Jim Rivera. He had a great Dutch Revelle back run.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:55 PM

Default Ryan

you are 100 % right! btw, when I was saying if you have to ask is it brown? I didn't mean you, meant the general public

Sean

yes, that was jims
Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Unfortunately this is not the only numerically graded Brown Old Mill by PSA. There's also 4 others. I've always questioned it personally to myself but this is the first time I've actually seen one of the 5 numerically graded examples and it's not Brown.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

So has anyone contacted PSA about getting it back and reholdering it?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:23 PM

I contacted the seller (via ebay) and explained him why it is not a Brown OM -- no response and listing is still up there last I looked (clearly looking to get over on some unsuspecting person who trusts blindly in the flips). I will not contact PSA, however. Not my problem -- I just didn't want it to become any board member's problem....
Old 10-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I just saw this on Ebay. I dont want to scuttle someone's auction, but as a Brown OM owner and someone who may want another (especially at this "negotiable" price), please let me know your thoughts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T-206-O...QAAOSwpuBZwn8q

First, how is it graded numerically? Second, where is the hand cut? Third, and I compared it to mine, the back does not look brown like mine - at best its a funky brown and more likely its a faded black.
Personally I have never cared for the brown color varieties of rarities. They look too much like black to me .