NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 AM

Default Ebay Seller Question

Look at all of the listings from ebay seller billyd2008...killer cards, but there are some things that look a little suspicious...the back ground of the scans are not uniform from one card to another (i.e. looks like a different scanner used for different cards) and the description on his shipping time doesn't sound right...also, not a good sign when someone is selling cards for "someone else"...am I wrong here?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Steven

Default Wow...

...those are some nice cards for sale. How many 52T Mantle 8's are out there? I dont think Id be going 30k on "someone else's" card via the internet, but thats just me. His feedback is ALL low end stuff w/ the only expensive items the bb tickets...he looks fine but I would be uncomfortable.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Robert Williams

This seller bothers me greatly. I predict a bunch of unhappy bidders, and a seller attempting to take the money and run. He has the same card listed twice (1956 Willie Mays), and has obviously stolen scans (notice the different colored backgrounds for the cards)....add that to a 3 day auction, and you have someone attempting to steal alot of money from alot of people.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Default ebay seller

Seems hard to believe that someone with a collection like that could really be "computer illiterate" in this day and age...I was looking at VCP on the 1953 Topps Mays and notice that the scan in the auction is the same as the scan used in a sale of that card in June of 2010...they both tilt to the right
Old 08-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Alan U

I'd be concerned with the week and a half it will take to ship the cards.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Three-day auctions for $100K+ worth of high-end cards, stolen scans and the seller writes like he's a 3rd grader. Huh? Would someone who can afford such a pricey assortment of cards really be computer illiterate? Would the owner of such a pricey assortment of cards trust their sale to an inexperienced seller who says he doesn't know much about them or even know what they are worth? Also, the titles of several auctions are completely inaccurate (51 Bowman Mays listed as 61 Bowman Mays, for example).

Would someone with these cards even post them on eBay to begin with, or would they consign to a major auction house experienced with high-end cards?

Bottom line: Huge scam and I just reported 20+ of his auctions to eBay. I would advise other board members to do the same and save a lot of people a lot of money.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Stolen scans

Here is a thread on the PSA site on this group of cards. Most say that they are lifted scans from auction houses. Someone reported the fraud to eBay. I thought by now that the auctions would be removed. Be careful.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=826058

Best regards,

Joe
Old 08-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Default eBay

Yes stay away. 171 items, high end stuff, with a 1 of 1 unique item that a lot of experienced collectors don't have ('49 Bowman Keller).

Zach Wheat
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Pete Sycks

The second I saw his listings 2 nights ago I wrote him and asked him "Do you really think ebay will let you get away with this scam?" You don't own a single card. He never responded.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:02 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
This seller bothers me greatly.
Do you just say whatever you think others want to hear in order to try to fit in? In the thread on the PSA boards about this same seller you said, "Looks ok to me." I'm not trying to pick a fight Bobby, but this is just an observation I've made after reading several of your posts on multiple boards. Perhaps you should be a politician.

Edited to add: Just curious how you can say, "Looks good to me" in one breath and then turn around and say, "This seller bothers me greatly" in another. Tell me Bobby, what changed?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 08-07-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Bob

Default Something seems odd

Agree that this seems suspicious. Anyone who has graded cards knows their value, especially when it is a psa 8 mantle. No reserve, no minimum for this card? Not even individual descriptions. The story seems too homespun, good old naive friend who knows nothing about how to sell cards! sure, well if he bought the cards he knows what they are worth. Maybe this is a case of too good to be true but actually is. More likely, though, not what it purports to be. The perfect feedback will entice many bidders unfortunately but on the mantle seems to be same two bidders fighting each other.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 PM
qualitycards

"Someone reported the fraud to eBay"

This kills me. If eBay deems the lots are fradulent, they delete them and possibly delete the sellers account.
And then he can open another account w/ another ID. No harm, no foul!
In the real world if somone tries to defraud the public for that type of $, he gets arrested and could serve jail time.

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 08-07-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Default A week and a half to ship

ummm yeah , that would be enough time to have all the payments clear and then buy a first-class ticket to someplace where the word ''extradition'' isn't in the vocabulary . I'll bet my Canseco Rookie that this Billy D. has a passport.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Bob

Default Psa 8 52 topps mantle

The cert number is from the memory lane own it now mantle that sold for 85k, nuff said about this listing.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
"Looks good to me" in one breath and then turn around and say, "This seller bothers me greatly" in another. Tell me Bobby, what changed?
OK little man who likes to start stuff with me all the time.....the difference between looks good to me, versus it bothers me greatly was the fact that the first time I didn't notice the different colored background for the cards, and after more observation, I noticed it the 2nd time around.......satisfied?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Bob

Default Mantle psa 7 was pulled

I see the listing for the mantle topps 52 psa 7 was pulled tonight, but the psa 8 sold for 59700, about 15-20k less than it should have. Since the scan shown was the card sold by memory lane a couple of months ago for about 85k, seems odd someone would then sell it for so much less. Either this guys friend is naive to sell it this way or he never had the card. Guess we may never know. If the seller really has the card, the buyer got a great deal.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default later, billy

http://shop.ebay.com/billyd2008/m.ht...id=p4340.l2562

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM
octavio ranzola

Default omg

This is whats ruining this hobby ebay is unreal i hope he goes to jail
Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
eBay removed/cancelled the listings, but why didn't they NARU this POS? I don't get it???