NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1930s Uncataloged Self Developing set w/ Cuyler, Hartnett etc....

I guess I was the only one interested in these as I was the only bidder in a recent major auction. They cost a whopping $15 each. In hand they are rather large at approx. 4" x 2 1/2". Anyone ever see any like them before?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 AM

The sheep are a little scary.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Leon:

They might be called "Hokus Fokus", not 100% sure. Possibly the basis for Topps Magic Photos in 1948 but I've only seen them referred to and have not seen any set that name is connected with.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Brad Green

They remind me a lot of 1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Cards.....
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
They remind me a lot of 1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Cards.....
Was thinking the same.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
George E.

Here are your indians on a postcard.

Photobucket

found here http://cgi.ebay.com/GROUP-NORTHWEST-...item20ba9bd517
Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Leon, I saw them and immediately thought they were mounted negatives for the 1931 Sun Pictures Photos (they picture the Wesley ferrell in the SCD book). I haven't handled a ton of those but are they not them? I don't see Cuyler or Gelbert on that checklist but I have seen the Hartnett before (same picture as his Uncle Jacks and Butter Cream card).

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 07-01-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:48 AM

I don't think they'd pick William Haines and Norma Shearer for a later retrospective set. Them as subjects would strongly suggest they're vintage.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 AM

-- repeat post --

Last edited by drc; 07-01-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 AM

I don't think they'd pick William Haines and Norma Shearer for a later retrospective set. A bit obscure to be used later on.

Last edited by drc; 07-01-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Leon, I saw them and immediately thought they were mounted negatives for the 1931 Sun Pictures Photos (they picture the Wesley ferrell in the SCD book). I haven't handled a ton of those but are they not them? I don't see Cuyler or Gelbert on that checklist but I have seen the Hartnett before (same picture as his Uncle Jacks and Butter Cream card).
I think you're right, Rhett... I think they are negatives of the 1931 Sun Picture Photos... Here is a picture of the Ferrell from that set... His card is my token example..... I am still looking for the Grove from this set if you need money for the National....

Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default interesting stuff

Interesting thoughts so far, guys. I wonder if all of the 1931 Sun Photo cards of the baseball players are the same poses for the corresponding Uncle Jacks? I have a Hartnett Uncle Jacks and they are definitely the same pose. If these are in fact the 1931 Sun Photo negatives then the Gelbert is uncataloged so far.

And George, thanks for the heads up on the postcard of the Indians. It's a perfect (*and cheap) piece to go with this grouping...

This kind of stuff is what helps keep collecting interesting for me.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Interesting acquisition Leon. I have seen the racing plane card/photo somewhere but can't remember where. It almost resembles something from a British Cigarette card???

Last edited by Big Ben; 07-01-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM
George E.

Here is a corresponding Haines item too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/William-Haines-1...44895054950619
Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
Here is a corresponding Haines item too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/William-Haines-1...44895054950619

Thanks again.....only around 12 more you need to find for me
Old 07-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1931 Sun Photo Negatives

These are in fact 1931 Sun Pictures Negatives. Thanks for the help guys......You can check out Hartnett here...

http://feb09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=11414

Last edited by Leon; 07-01-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Michael..Adams

Default These may not all be original

Great thread. I had a couple of observations:

1) There is a picture on the bottom row of US Battleship Alabama. The USS Alabama wasn't built until 1942 and was commissioned the same year. Impossible for this picture to be used in a 1931 photo series.

2) If these are really "negatives", then wouldn't the team names appear backwards on the jerseys? I read "Cleveland" from left to right, so these appear to be positives, not negatives. I am obviously not a photo expert.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default good questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcadams View Post
Great thread. I had a couple of observations:

1) There is a picture on the bottom row of US Battleship Alabama. The USS Alabama wasn't built until 1942 and was commissioned the same year. Impossible for this picture to be used in a 1931 photo series.

2) If these are really "negatives", then wouldn't the team names appear backwards on the jerseys? I read "Cleveland" from left to right, so these appear to be positives, not negatives. I am obviously not a photo expert.

Good questions. I made my assertion based on the Hartnett card in Huggins and Scott being the exact same pose as the one in this group. Them not being reversed negatives doesn't bother me as much as the other revelation about the ship. I will have to think about it and research it some more. I still think they are from Sun Pictures but maybe not 100% sure now....Any more thoughts are appreciated.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Hi Leon

I'm no battleship expert, and I always lost when playing the board game, but I don't believe the card of the ship depicts the USS Alabama that was commissioned in 1942. According to Wikipedia, there have been at least seven naval ships named Alabama, and this one looks like the ship commissioned in 1900 and scrapped in 1924, which would still make your early 30's estimate possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Alabama_%28BB-8%29
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Rhett Yeakley

The fact that they are not reversed doesn't mean anything as the negatives for these (and other sets like Foto Fun, etc.) are simply clear pieces of celluloid/plastic that were placed over the photo paper and the sun was allowed to pass through produce the "image". If Leon took the negative out of the mount and flipped it over it would be reversed. Obviously, though the person mounting them wanted to be able to read the captions, etc. so they mounted them so they could. That's my opinion, I still think they are the 1931 Sun items or something very similar.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 07-02-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Thanks Todd and Rhett....I have them classified as 1931 Sun Pictures negatives and am back to feeling comfortable with it. These negatives do seem to be quite scarce though as I am not sure I remember seeing too many of them. Maybe, in actuality, the negatives are better than the cards as I could potentially make unlimited cards from them (with the right kind of paper).. ...best regards
Old 07-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Michael..Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I'm no battleship expert, and I always lost when playing the board game, but I don't believe the card of the ship depicts the USS Alabama that was commissioned in 1942. According to Wikipedia, there have been at least seven naval ships named Alabama, and this one looks like the ship commissioned in 1900 and scrapped in 1924, which would still make your early 30's estimate possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Alabama_%28BB-8%29
I agree Todd.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The cards certainly are pre-1933. William Haines' career crashed and burned in 1933 when he was arrested at a YMCA with a sailor and refused Louis B. Mayer's ultimatum to either marry a show bride and fake heterosexuality or lose his career. Mayer fired him and he ended up out of the movie business very quickly. So, if he has a card in this issue, it certainly predates his outing and subsequent career demise.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Maybe, in actuality, the negatives are better than the cards as I could potentially make unlimited cards from them (with the right kind of paper)
That would actually be a cool project to try with one of them, just to see what happens.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Can anyone show an example of Hokus Fokus then, which I believe came a couple of years later. I've only seen one or two references to that set over the years.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default which ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Can anyone show an example of Hokus Fokus then, which I believe came a couple of years later. I've only seen one or two references to that set over the years.

Hey Dave
I don't think you are talking of the Topps '48 memorial set? I am not sure I am very familiar with the one you are speaking of?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Hi Leon:

Nope-Hokus Fokus (with that spelling) was a 1930's issue that Topps allegedly copied for the '48 issue. It must either be a tough set or the wrapper and the set had two different names. Believe it was similar to Sun Photos with multiple sub-sets and genres. It may be a red herring but I think moreso it's a legit issue than not.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Default flip