NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Ryan Sims

Default RIP mjkm90

Last night, Mike Hovet (mjkm90) entered heaven. He was one of the truest, nicest, and strongest men I have ever known. His battle with cancer was a valiant one. He will be missed greatly by his family, friends, co-workers, and of course, his hobby friends. He was many's best buddy. I looked forward to seeing him every year at the National and talking on the phone sometimes daily. His wonderful wife Jo will update a couple of us on the board and we will be sure to share pass along info.

RIP Mike.

http://www.net54baseball.com/member.php?u=297

Last edited by sundevil; 10-04-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil View Post
Last night, Mike Hovet (mjkm90) entered heaven. He was one of the truest, nicest, and strongest men I have ever known. His battle with cancer was a valiant one. He will be missed greatly by his family, friends, co-workers, and of course, his hobby friends. He was many's best buddy. I looked forward to seeing him every year at the National and talking on the phone sometimes daily. His wonderful wife Jo will update a couple of us on the board and we will be sure to share pass along info.

RIP Mike.

MIKE sounds like a great guy. Rest In Peace MIKE.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil View Post

RIP Mike.

This sounds tragic and awful. Seems he was on the board yesterday too.
He was always a very nice guy on the board. Always upbeat and cheerful. The world needs more like him. RIP Mike.

here is his collection in our gallery on the board...

http://www.net54baseball.com/album.php?albumid=60

Last edited by Leon; 10-04-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I never had the good fortune to know Mike, but, from what has already been said, I can tell that is my loss.

RIP Mike.

In Mike's honor and others who we have lost, let's all remember to take the extra effort to thank and appreciate those we communicate with.

Life is Beautiful, but almost always shorter than we anticipate.

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 10-04-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

How people have the strength to battle cancer and still be upbeat happy people always amazes me. Most people you meet in the course of the day are healthy and miserable. RIP Mike.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
How people have the strength to battle cancer and still be upbeat happy people always amazes me. Most people you meet in the course of the day are healthy and miserable. RIP Mike.
I agree with you on this 100% percent.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:03 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It's so hard to be writing these words so soon after hearing the news. But will give it a shot....

Mike was simply the finest person I've had the good fortune to know (either inside or outside of the hobby). He was always thinking of others, always upbeat, so brave, and had such integrity. He was incredibly smart, hard working, and had a razor sharp sense of humor. He battled his recurring cancer so valiantly, and remained incredibly positive up until the very end.

He was a great family man, and a very dear friend. Despite being 2,000 miles away, it always felt like he was right next door. He had a great eye for Baseball collectibles, and loved to share his insights and information.

Mike was always among the first to compliment someone else's collection, or congratulate fellow collectors on a new acquisition. He was a tremendous contributor to the hobby and to the Memorabilia Forum. He will be missed by so many people.

We lost a truly great person last night... one that I'll miss for the rest of my days. I just hope and pray that Mike's friends and family can be at peace knowing the pain is now gone, and that he's in a better place.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Such sad news. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him but just by seeing how much others liked and respected him brings a sadness to me.
Rip
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

I'm stunned. Mike was one of my very favorite people on the board. I loved the stuff he collected, but he was kind, thoughtful, and warm...which is all that really matters. I will certainly miss him.

Chris

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 10-04-2017, 11:02 AM

I remember his posts, particularly about pinback buttons and his sharing of photos of his collection. That he was such an enthusiastic and nice guy translated through his postings, and his joy impacted many folks he never got to know in person. Sad to hearing of his passing. Condolences to his family and those fortunate enough to know him personally. RIP Mike. Thanks for sharing your joy with us.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:07 AM

Great guy and he will be missed for sure!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:09 AM
Matt

I'm so sad to hear this. Mike was a wonderful person. He will certainly be missed. Sending thoughts and prayers to all of his family and friends. RIP

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Brock

Wow, i'm really taken back right now. Mike was my lone hobby "friend". texted and e-mailed on a regular basis and it always made my day to discuss this hobby that i love so much with someone who appreciated it as I do. He along with Mark and a few others really inspired me when i began collecting. He was always the nicest fella and i'm truly sad i never got to meet him in person. I'll miss him, and will always appreciate his friendship.

Last edited by BrockJacob; 10-04-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Did not have the privilege and pleasure of knowing Mike, but I found all I need to know about him from reading the posts in this thread. Praying that his family will have peace during this tough time.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Stunned

Mike was a great guy and always was positive about his situation. I had several deals with him and he was a class act always
Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks Ryan for letting know of Mike's passing. Perhaps Mark said it best, terrable loss to me personally and to the hobby. I will never forget his spirt and great smile, always upbeat. From me personally and "The Three Bill's" from Ky we will miss him. Our heats and prayers go out to his family, and they should know how much we appreciate the privalidge of knowing him.
'
Old 10-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Dan Bretta

This is terrible news. He was way too young. One of a handful of the original Net54 memorabilia posters when we made the split. You just can't say a bad word about him, he was always positive. A shining light in our hobby. He will truly be missed.

RIP Mike.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:33 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

RIP MIke. I never met the man, but he was one of the nicest guys from the times we interacted.
I wish his family well.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-04-2017, 02:07 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Very sad to hear this news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Mike in person, but I enjoyed the times we chatted and reading his posts. We PM each other a few times over the years. We really connected on being Purdue Alums and Cubs fans. He'll be missed.

Prayers to all of his family and friends. RIP Mike.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:22 PM

I didn't know him, but always sad to hear of someone's passing. He sounded like a great person. RIP.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Clint

No! This truly sucks! Mike was a great guy. I’m at a loss for words. 😢
Old 10-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

RIP Mike
Old 10-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I'm stunned. Mike was one of my very favorite people on the board. I loved the stuff he collected, but he was kind, thoughtful, and warm...which is all that really matters. I will certainly miss him.

Chris
It's a little lame to quote you, but this is exactly how I feel.

I'm 6.5 years out from a cancer diagnosis. I had no idea Mike was a chemo brother.

My thoughts go out to Mike's family. RIP, Mike.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:48 PM

Default Mike

Very happy to get to know Mike over the past four years. He helped me price several higher end pinbacks. The world needs more honest people like him... RIP

Last edited by bigfish; 10-04-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Jack T

So saddened to read about this.

I did not know Mike, but always enjoyed his posts. As others have said, he was encouraging in his comments and generous in sharing his knowledge and amazing collection. I will miss his presence here.

Praying for peace and comfort for his family in a most difficult time.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Al

I am very saddened to hear of Mikes Passing. Mike and I were very good friends from this board , we did a number of transactions thru the years as I sold him many of his cubs and white sox pins. I will miss him dearly a true gentleman and friend.... My prayers and thoughts go out to his family....

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 10-04-2017, 11:17 PM
Chris Wood

Very sad news indeed. RIP Mike.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 AM
M@rk Comer

This is very sad news. Always enjoyed his enthusiasm toward the hobby and life.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Jeremy W.

I didn't know Mike personally, but I was always impressed with his knowledgeable posts & the way he treated the other forum members. Helluva guy & will be sorely missed.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:29 PM

Very sad to hear this. I talked to him over the years about Cubs pennant. Was a really nice and knowledgable. Wish I would have had the pleasure to meet him. I shared a Purdue and Cubs connection with him so I feel like a lost a fellow brother. RIP GOOD MAN.

Last edited by mrkrab; 10-05-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I never met Mike, but he was very generous with any information he could provide. It was Mike that inspired me to get back in to working on my memorabilia room, and gave me suggestions so that I could "borrow" his ideas. RIP Mike, you will be missed.