NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Bill Boyd

Default My first experience at selling my cards

I am 67 years old, and have been collecting, on and off since 1984. My collection consists of mainly 1970 and 1980 cards, with some 60s thrown in, but not many. I have about 75,000 cards, and have decided to sell off my collection and always wanted to run a baseball card store, but in Northern Michigan, in a small town, just did not make any sense. But I wanted the experience at selling, so I got a space in our local antique store and with no advertisement, decided to just let happen what may happen.
I have been pleasantly surprised. I cannot tell you how many people, while looking for antiques, actually spent a good amount of time going though binders I have displayed, and looking at the stars in a display case. Sales are better then I thought, and now have collectors coming from a good distance away, just because in northern Michigan, there is not many locations to buy cards.
Now, for the kids, another surprise. Many kids are not collecting, they are children of the 1980s youths, where their parents had a bad experience collecting in their youth. But these kids want to collect. I do not sell any modern day cards, I have some cards in the early 90s, but these kids do not care, they want to collect.
I have about 1000 sport flics of various years, and because of their movement, I decided to hand these cards out to the kids. The kids love them, I also had several boxes of 87 and 88 donruss cards, and if the kids were extremely happy, out came an unopened pack of cards for them to open.
The look at these kids faces is worth the freebees, but many times, the parents came back, or that very day, bought more cards from me for their sons, or daughters (yes daughters). I have been doing this for about four months and am having a ball.
So to make a long story short, I truly believe, this hobby is still strong, it just may need a little nudge in the right direction.
Just my experience.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Dave

Bill, sorry to hear that your selling your collection. I guess we all will end up doing that at some point. It sounds like your having fun doing it your way. Kids in a antique store ? That's a new one. Take care.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Bill Boyd

Dave,
Yea, it sounds funny, kids in an antique store. Their parents drag them along and handing out free cards to the kids serves a dual purpose. When I hand out the cards, the sportflics are new to them. So they are busy studying the cards, and they don't handle the antiques so much....lol. And their parents don't have to keep telling them to put things down. It all works out good.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Don

Sounds like fun.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Bill Boyd

Don,
It is fun, and Dan, I am only selling off my collection to start collecting prewar cards. So I am not done with the hobby.
Here is the kicker. Now that I am trying to sell, I have fellow antique collectors wanting to sell me their cards. I told them not really interested, but I could not turn down one offer. Numerous binders of cards which included many cards from the 70s. And some from the 60s. About 8 to 10 thousand cards, most in binders, many stars, all for $150.
So instead of getting smaller, the collection grew quickly to about 85 thousand. Yea, I am stuck with a lot of early 90s proset football cards and a lots more cards from the 80s, but those 70 cards were well worth the $150. I even sold a complete binder of basketball cards already. As long as the price is right, they will buy, and I am close to making the $150 up already just from the cards I bought.
I don't want to do that too often, but other customers have asked if I am buying cards. Nothing form the 80s or later, is my answer.
My first full month without any advertising, I sold over $700 in cards and memorabilia.
Yes, an antique store. I know you cannot make a living on that amount, but being retired, and I don't really need the money, it is just a hobby and I am having fun, and getting a few sheckles for my pockets. Why not. And I only work there, one or two days a week. Other antique dealers sell my items for me as well as I sell their items. If they need me to give an answer regarding an offer to buy some of my items, they just call me.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Really cool story. Sounds like a great and new spin on our hobby. I would love to set up as a part time dealer but life and time constraints don't make that possible at this point but maybe someday
Keep up the impact on those kids.
Drew
Old 10-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Bill,
Where's the store? When are you there? We have a place near Harrisville, so I drive through Standish quite often.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Bill Boyd

It is in Gladwin, about 45 minutes west of Standish. Come on by and lets talk baseball.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is such a cool story I copied it from the watercooler section to here. And as Bill did, even though I sold my collection, I am still knee deep in building my 2nd, albeit more humble collection. The chase is a lot of the fun!!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 AM

Great story-- especially the part about CREATING young collectors.

I am an antique photograph/ militaria dealer and set up at several Civil War shows throughout the country. I always take a box of lesser cdv and cabinet card photographs to let kids pick one out to start their collections. I see some of the militaria dealers with a junk box to let the kids grad something for free as well.

It really is a joy to see a child pick something out-- in fact I have had several return visitors over the years and some of the parents have ended up as buyers.

Keep up growing the hobby!

Scott
Old 11-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Bob Donaldson

Great post! Refreshing to see cards being sold (and in some cases given away) at reasonable prices. I frequent antique shops in New England and am so sick of seeing boxes of beatup 90s cards being sold for $1 a card or a 33 Goudey common in vg for $99.

Keep up the good work!

Bob
Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Love hearing stuff like this Bill. It is what collecting is all about...the people, the hunt, etc. When you are able to give back by spurring interest in the younger generation, there is nothing better.

And to piggyback what Bob said, it is also refreshing to hear about cards at an antique center/store that are reasonably priced. Usually what I see are 1993 prices for 1993 cards. And they likely didn't sell in 1993 because the prices were too high even then, and there they still sit.

Tom C
Old 11-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Bill Boyd

Thank you Leon for your comments and placing this thread on the Vintage Pre-War site, and to all thank you for you kind comments.

Selling my cards at a small local venue amazes me how many people actually have cards or a collection at home. Many shoppers stop and talk about their cards, as we all have our cards in spoke stories as well as flipping for cards. I try not to put pressure on the shoppers, as I would rather gather a rapport with them. If they buy, they buy, but my best line is "let's talk baseball".

But the kids are the bonus. Just had a 14 year old in two days ago, and he had a speech impediment. I asked if he collects BB cards, and he said, no but I would like to. My heart melted with this kid, and I started with my sportflics, 5 or 6. Then a complete set of Donruss "84 Tigers, along with a couple more Tigers. May have been a few others, I don't remember, I got carried away with this kid. But thats OK, the reward was when I later seen him in the store showing his mother what he got.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Eric
Eric

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Thank you Leon for your comments and placing this thread on the Vintage Pre-War site, and to all thank you for you kind comments.

Selling my cards at a small local venue amazes me how many people actually have cards or a collection at home. Many shoppers stop and talk about their cards, as we all have our cards in spoke stories as well as flipping for cards. I try not to put pressure on the shoppers, as I would rather gather a rapport with them. If they buy, they buy, but my best line is "let's talk baseball".

But the kids are the bonus. Just had a 14 year old in two days ago, and he had a speech impediment. I asked if he collects BB cards, and he said, no but I would like to. My heart melted with this kid, and I started with my sportflics, 5 or 6. Then a complete set of Donruss "84 Tigers, along with a couple more Tigers. May have been a few others, I don't remember, I got carried away with this kid. But thats OK, the reward was when I later seen him in the store showing his mother what he got.
Wow Bill. this whole story has made my day. I love hearing about this. I think you are absolutely right about the hobby needing a nudge in the right direction. At the National this year, my kids did quite well with dealers cutting them very good deals or giving them free stuff. It was awesome to see. And their friends are collecting now as well. Makes me so happy to see all this (and their noses aren't buried in their video games). You are an example of all that is right with this hobby and I commend you for that.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Kudos Bill,

As others have said, great story Bill. It reminds me of something that has been on my mind lately.

My friend owns a large card shop locally. He recently had a 90 year old gentleman come into his store and say "well, its about time I enjoyed myself with the money I will get from my collection"!?!?!?

Granted, this guy had a multi thousand dollar collection but my thoughts were......... why did this guy take that long to cash in? At 90 plus years old......how was he going to "enjoy" himself?

I am not sure if this story made me sad, reflective, confused.......I think a little of all 3.

The guy said that he did not have any family members that enjoyed his collection and it was time to sell.

Sad.

Now I do understand that the joy of accumulating and collecting is intrinsic. Got it. This story however started me thinking about, when is the "right" time to pull the trigger.

From recent events, it appears Leon came to this "trigger point" and has not looked back. I do not know how "young" Leon is so I'm not assuming anything but when I read Billy's story it all makes so much sense.

Start to sell when you can still enjoy the feeling it gives you to give some back to others. I love the concept but of course we all must sell in our own ways but it is nice to see different stories of liquidation and of course, we never really sell it all do we? (yeah I know that was a crazy run on sentence but I don't care! )

Leon as admitted is sneaking back in, Billy still has the bulk and is adding more to his pile but to each his own.

Good stuff.

Moral of the story.......sell it all before you are 90+ unless that floats your boat and try to have some fun and give back to the hobby while doing so!

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 11-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Rich Klein

Leon, as he has mentioned and was noted in the Heritage Catalog, cashed in to ensure his daughter had enough money for her college educaton.

But like many of us, he is a collecting lifer so has dived back in

Rich

Now someday, if I could only get him to set up at my show so I can advertise B&L Auctions will be there
Old 11-02-2015, 04:41 PM

I love your attitude towards it all! Great story
Old 11-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Leon, as he has mentioned and was noted in the Heritage Catalog, cashed in to ensure his daughter had enough money for her college educaton.

But like many of us, he is a collecting lifer so has dived back in

Rich

Now someday, if I could only get him to set up at my show so I can advertise B&L Auctions will be there
Rich,

My point exactly. Leon sold to do better in life (by helping his daughter). her education will hopefully pay off in life rewards for the next 70 or so years. I did not know why he sold but it fits in what my point was. Thanks for pointing that out.

Peace, Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I am sort of convinced that nobody truly sells out but only retools and prepares for the next collecting chapter. Leon, I understand.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Rich,

My point exactly. Leon sold to do better in life (by helping his daughter). her education will hopefully pay off in life rewards for the next 70 or so years. I did not know why he sold but it fits in what my point was. Thanks for pointing that out.

Peace, Mike
The impetus for me selling my collection was my daughter's college education. It was the plan from the start. Once I sold that much of it I figured I might as well just start over. The journey is a lot of the fun. And as to the orginal subject I feel paying it forward with our younger generation(s) is the one of the best things we can do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phunc1800schildrenbaseball.jpg (78.2 KB, 177 views)
Old 11-05-2015, 06:17 AM
Bill Boyd

Leon,
I am sure have somewhat of an idea of what cards you will be going after. Will they be cards you did not previously own, or restocking the collection you sold?

Bill
Old 11-05-2015, 06:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
Leon,
I am sure have somewhat of an idea of what cards you will be going after. Will they be cards you did not previously own, or restocking the collection you sold?

Bill
Hi Bill
I have no boundaries. I have already acquired a few cards back from the original collection. The difference is I am not trying for Every type card this time. I love the hobby and will continue collecting things I enjoy. At the top of this list is part of my new collection.

http://www.luckeycards.com/personal.html

Old 11-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Bill Boyd

Leon,
If the above is a sample of a new start, can't wait to see your collection Part II. Good Luck to you.

Bill
Old 11-06-2015, 05:03 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

awesome story bill! thanks for sharing it
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.