NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Erik

Default Favorite 1970's Football Set

On the heels of the favorite 1960 Football set, I would love to hear from football collectors on your favorite 1970's set and why. And, if you are able to post some cards from your favorite 70's sets, please do so. I know BigRedOne (John) will.

My favorite set is the 1976 Topps set. It was the first year I collected football cards in bulk so to speak. O.J. Simpson was my favorite player and the Buffalo Bills was my favorite team though I lived in the suburbs of Chicago.

In second, is the 1975 Topps set. It was the first year I bought some packs and the O.J. card from that year is probably my favorite of all his cards. I really love the design of this set and there are several great action cards from the set.

Honorable mention goes to the 1972 set. I just think it highlights the merged league in a great way.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 PM

I hope inserts count, because my favorites are the 1970 Topps Super Glossies. Why? Because they're beautiful!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I hope inserts count, because my favorites are the 1970 Topps Super Glossies. Why? Because they're beautiful!

Yes, inserts count. Love those super glossy cards!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I love the '75s, my first year of buying cards, they always bring back memories. The '76s are a very close second.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 AM

I'm still trying to finish my raw 71, 72, and 73 sets...those that I started as a kid..so definitely have sentimental memories for me personally. I like the 71 for their red and blue borders and really cool pictures with great focus. The 72 I like for the clean designs and ofcourse the challenge of the high numbers. Finally 73 is just a challenge because so many of the cards are badly centered or diamond cut...

Ricky Y
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM

1976 is my favorite set from the 1970s. I really like some of the action shots and overall design. Only thing I don't like are the drab team checklist cards.

Second favorite is 1972. I've always liked the high numbered All Pro cards and IA cards. Buying a large collection from a childhood collector with almost all the high numbers helped complete my set.

Least favorite is 1974. Just not a fan of the design.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:41 PM
€d M!££w00D

1975 gets my vote, but love the backs of the 76 set. Very easy to read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 01-06-2016, 11:47 PM

New to the boards.
My favorite set is the '77.
I remember my friend telling me about these packages you could buy at the convenience store that had little pieces of cardboard in them with pictures of football players on them.
I went with him and when I opened my first pack with Roger staubach staring back at me, it was all over. Not too mention the smell of the gum. Intoxicating.
I also like the '76 set because of the football design on the front.
This thread is convincing me I need to get started on a '75 set pronto. It looks great.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:39 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Enjoyed reading through this thread again. I may have shared my "1971 Topps Pin-Ups" story before but I can't remember.
A couple of years ago I was at our local monthly show, and a dealer had a near set (missing only Dick Butkus) of 1971 Pin-Ups all PSA slabbed and graded. I thought they looked pretty awesome in those slabs but wasn't really that interested in them. But it was obvious the dealer was tired of dragging them around (they weigh 19 pounds!) and I bought the near set for $100 ($3.25 each already slabbed?). I purchased this PSA graded Butkus on Ebay, and I now have the #2 set in the PSA Registry! (Well there are only two sets submitted!)
I think these things would look awesome displayed on a wall in a "man-cave"
Larry
Old 01-07-2016, 08:30 AM
Erik

Very nice Larry.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Jeff P

Sorry for the double post. I got an error on the first one and didn't think it worked.

Let's not forget the oddball stuff! Maybe someone prefers one of these:

1970 Carleson-Frink Dairy

1971 Bazooka

1970s Lil Caesars

1975 McDonald's QBs

jeff
Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Enjoyed reading through this thread again. I may have shared my "1971 Topps Pin-Ups" story before but I can't remember.
A couple of years ago I was at our local monthly show, and a dealer had a near set (missing only Dick Butkus) of 1971 Pin-Ups all PSA slabbed and graded. I thought they looked pretty awesome in those slabs but wasn't really that interested in them. But it was obvious the dealer was tired of dragging them around (they weigh 19 pounds!) and I bought the near set for $100 ($3.25 each already slabbed?). I purchased this PSA graded Butkus on Ebay, and I now have the #2 set in the PSA Registry! (Well there are only two sets submitted!)
I think these things would look awesome displayed on a wall in a "man-cave"
Larry
To me, that's a major score. Love the oddball stuff like that, and to get them slabbed to boot, oh man, wish I could run across a deal like that.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 AM
Erik

Spotlight on the 1975 Topps set right here:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...s-bumper-crop/