NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 07-11-2016, 12:37 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Computer help. Updating a list?

I typed this list out years ago and I have likely purchased 25+ 52 Topps card since then. Is there a way to update this list without having to retype everything out again?

I have heard of "Word" and a couple other avenues but I have no clue how to go about it? Can I copy/save and paste it then update it somehow?
I have Windows 10 so I am sure I have the option/app, but have no clue how to go about it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Topps Baseball List 1952.jpg (74.8 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by irv; 07-11-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Bill Gregory

Dale, to be honest, I think you're going to have to retype the list manually. While there are programs that can parse text from an image file, or PDF, I don't think that the type in your image, as it appears, is clean enough to get a good read off of. You can try Google Drive, and see if it will do it for you.

Your image utilizes a common font, Times New Roman. So, you have that going for you. And, I think it meets the size requirement (10 px). But even if I were to take the image, and up the contrast, there just looks to be too much noise that could mess with it. The one thing that I think will cause the attempt to fail is the kerning. Kerning is the space between characters; there isn't any, so the different characters bleed into each other.

Good luck.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Dale, to be honest, I think you're going to have to retype the list manually. While there are programs that can parse text from an image file, or PDF, I don't think that the type in your image, as it appears, is clean enough to get a good read off of. You can try Google Drive, and see if it will do it for you.

Your image utilizes a common font, Times New Roman. So, you have that going for you. And, I think it meets the size requirement (10 px). But even if I were to take the image, and up the contrast, there just looks to be too much noise that could mess with it. The one thing that I think will cause the attempt to fail is the kerning. Kerning is the space between characters; there isn't any, so the different characters bleed into each other.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tips/help, Bill.

I have asked my wife, who is a lot better at this stuff than me, and she thinks she will be able to do it?

I am not fussy so even if it doesn't match or look proper, I will be OK with it as long as I am able to update the list with new cards. If not, then back to the drawing board, or typing it all out again I go.

If I have to resort to that then I'll be sure to save it properly so I can update it in the future as well.

Thanks again

Dale
Old 07-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

If that is a wantlist, you could find a complete list of the 1952 Topps set online, copy and paste that in to word, and then just delete the cards you already have. It's what I am doing for my project, and it feels good to delete a line every time I make a pickup. To keep track of what I have, I have an excel sheet that I use to keep track of costs, and I printed out a complete list and highlighted the ones I have.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Ben North

Member Mouschi is your man. If you seen his Canseco post you will understand why.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Bill Gregory

Something else popped into my head, Dale. If you don't want to spend the money on Microsoft Office, you can download Apache Open Office. Since it's open source, it's completely free. And, it's compatible with Microsoft Office. If somebody sends you an .xls file (Excel's native format), you can open it in Open Office. It's been a few years since I've used the software, so I wouldn't be cognizant of any changes of late. But, it's very nice, and should do everything you need.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 07-12-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:11 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
If that is a wantlist, you could find a complete list of the 1952 Topps set online, copy and paste that in to word, and then just delete the cards you already have. It's what I am doing for my project, and it feels good to delete a line every time I make a pickup. To keep track of what I have, I have an excel sheet that I use to keep track of costs, and I printed out a complete list and highlighted the ones I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Something else popped into my head, Dale. If you don't want to spend the money on Microsoft Office, you can download Apache Open Office. Since it's open source, it's completely free. And, it's compatible with Microsoft Office. If somebody sends you an .xls file (Excel's native format), you can open it in Open Office. It's been a few years since I've used the software, so I wouldn't be cognizant of any changes of late. But, it's very nice, and should do everything you need.
Thanks for the help, guys. I also received a PM from another member about copying and pasting a list from one of the many available so I am going to give that a go.

My wife tried yesterday with what she knows, but like Bill mentioned originally, that didn't work.

I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!