NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Default Have you ever won the wrong card?

In last night's PWCC auction, I had been watching a nice T206 Sam Crawford Bat PSA 4 with the intention of bidding strong on it. Well, Sunday afternoon arrives and I pull up my snipe program, set my snipe, and forget it. A couple hours later, I received an email that I had won the card. Awesome.

However, in my watch list, the card I coveted still read as 2hrs to go. Turns out I set my snipe to the wrong Crawford (same grade, but this one an OLD MILL). Realizing this, I went and bid on the targeted Crawford, and now I have inadvertently started a Crawford back run, though I have no intent to extend it.)

Has anyone ever done this before, or will this thread be buried my dinner time?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:10 AM

Yes, but luckily it was just a common. I accidentally bid on a T206 John Anderson Polar Bear that I didn't need. On a related note, if anyone needs a John Anderson Polar Bear BVG 1.5, I'm your man...

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 AM

on a related note, over the years I have bought a couple of cards that I already had. my spreadsheet was not updated when I was bidding.

If you haven't done it yet just keep buying cards, eventually it will be your turn.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM

Back when the internet was still new I used to have my dad run searches for me from his computer at work. We still hadn't gotten the internet hooked up at home yet. I was big into HOFers back then. One day he called me up and told me there was a Clarke T206 for sale for only $50. I told him it was a steal and to place a bid for me.

Fast forward a week or so later and I was the proud owner of Joshua Clark's T206, not HOFer Fred Clarke of Pittsburgh. I still have it though as a reminder.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:26 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Back when the internet was still new I used to have my dad run searches for me from his computer at work. We still hadn't gotten the internet hooked up at home yet. I was big into HOFers back then. One day he called me up and told me there was a Clarke T206 for sale for only $50. I told him it was a steal and to place a bid for me.

Fast forward a week or so later and I was the proud owner of Joshua Clark's T206, not HOFer Fred Clarke of Pittsburgh. I still have it though as a reminder.

Just imagine the deal you could get on a Wagner!
Old 03-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Dave_Berg

I set a snipe for a card a couple years ago and a week later received some cheesey gemstone in the mail- I checked- sure enough I entered the wrong item number into the snipe software. I've learned to copy/ paste
Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Yes, but only in the wee morning hours during extended bidding when I might have been on the wrong side of a six pack of Moosehead. More likely, paying more than I wanted to for a card in a fit of "irrational exuberance".
Old 03-13-2017, 11:13 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keating3620 View Post
on a related note, over the years I have bought a couple of cards that I already had. my spreadsheet was not updated when I was bidding.

If you haven't done it yet just keep buying cards, eventually it will be your turn.

I did the same thing last month despite pretty good record keeping!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 11:20 AM

I started a 1956 Topps set and planned to work on it slowly. It is stalled for now, but I still have a 1955 Jackie Robinson I bought for the set.

I also once bought two Early Wynn 56 Topps at the same time and didn't even notice until I left a card show. I went through a huge stack and bought about 12 cards from some guy and Wynn was the top card and bottom card in the stack. I guess it took me so long to go through the cards that by the time I got to the second Wynn, I forgot the first one
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Scott S

Other end of the spectrum - I just recently noticed I shipped off the wrong card.

I had sold on eBay a cheap raw common for like $3 probably a year or two ago. When I recently noticed I still had the card, I looked around and realized I had shipped the guy a much rarer $75 variation of the card. Argh!

Hopefully I at least got some stellar feedback from the lucky buyer!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 PM
C@rl P@rk

Accidentally bid on 1975 minis a few times rather than the full size counterpart. Thought I got a tremendous deal on a PSA 9 Carter only to realize the error moments later.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Wahoo Sam

Yes, I have done this.
I have done it more than once in the Topps era quest.
Yes I might do it again.

Funny one of the more extreme cases was involving the same player as yours.
I bought a 1915 CJ Sam Crawford, slabbed by SGC (my preference TPG)
This was after checking my spreadsheet and seeing that I needed it...
It was a nice card, and fairly expensive for my modest budget.

Later I find that my spreadsheet didn't account for the small stack of PSA cards I had , and yep...I already had Wahoo Sam in 1915 PSA.

Getting old has its advantages too, (not just disadvantages) since I found a few other cards that I forgot I had that same day...it was like Christmas in July!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Marty K.

We have all done similar things ...that's what the BST is for..... LOL
Old 03-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Yes, I have done this.

Getting old has its advantages too, (not just disadvantages) since I found a few other cards that I forgot I had that same day...it was like Christmas in July!
Funny, I'm ecstatic when I find a $5 bill in an old coat pocket. I can't imagine the jubilation of finding cards you forgot you had.

And what's with Wahoo Sam? I'm sure he's sick of being forgotten. He'd probably blame Cobb for these mix-ups.