NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Default T3 CY Young Proof

Posted By: Collector Chris

Does anybody know anything about the T3 Cy Young Proof in the Lelands Auction?

Are they one of a kind? I have never heard of SGC grading a card as authentic instead of giving it a number grade?

I was just seeing if anyone had any more info before I decided to bid.

Thank you

Old 12-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

These are 1 of a kind for each player in the set. SGC grades these as authentic. There is a web site with more info: T3 Turkey Reds, I think it is called. I have a Schmidt T3 Proof.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

"I have never heard of SGC grading a card as authentic instead of giving it a number grade?"

Chris - both PSA & SGC use the Authentic grade.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I wish I had the money to buy it. Good luck if you decide to bid, hope you win it!!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

Does anybody know the address of that site with the info on the T3 Proofs?

Scott

Old 12-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Scott,

I think this is the one he was talking about.

http://www.t3turkeyred.com/

Old 12-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

That is interesting, I learn something new everday! I recently saw another auction description that gave the date 1946 as the year that they came into the market. Does anybody know anything about that?

Here is the link to the proof portion of the page

http://www.t3turkeyred.com/Gallery.html

The statement "Further, when viewing a T3 proof for the first time, one
can't help but notice the exquisite color and clarity exhibited by
these unique items" is dead on as it was the first thing that I noticed as well.

Scott

Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Thanks for all your help.... Very informative

Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

nice to keep this thread up near the top in case anyone may have overlooked it, huh? funny, it's not really being discussed by anyone other than the auctioneer himself. hmmmmmm.

i do have a question for you, scott.

your description reads "From a recent find in the New England area this card caused quite a commotion as a walk-in at the recent Boston show. The appearance of the card caused a near free for all from the many auctioneers/dealers who fought to have it. The card emanates from an old-time collector who had owned it exclusively for decades."

if that's the case, then your "old-time" collector must have consigned it to REA in 1997 and then bought it back himself.

this card last sold publicly in 1997 for about $4500 (with juice).

i am a little shocked that lelands would not know of this previous sale, or at least not do some due-diligence before making a statement like the one above.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

It would be hard to miss the lot as it is lot #1 in the auction, has been pictured in all of our e-mails and is part of our banner ad on the top of the page. If you miss it, you are not paying attention.

Do you really expect me to search every auction catalog for the past 10 years to see if an item has sold before. Considering there are over 600 lots in the auction and we have only a few weeks to process everything, that seems a little unreasonable.

However, in an effort to keep Andy happy, I will throw in a blatant plug. The auction ends tonight.

Scott

Old 12-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Scott - I don't think it matters one way or the other in terms of the value of the item, but while I agree with you that I wouldn't expect you to research previous sale history for all of your items, I must take issue with you making the claim of it belonging to the same owner for decades without researching previous sales. If you haven't researched previous sales, best not to make claims about them (or the lack thereof).

Old 12-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Matt, I understand what you are saying, however that was the information that I was given and saw no reason to doubt it. It is not like that information was being used to establish authenticity. No matter if it is a decade or decades, the point is that it is not something that was recently on the market.

Scott

Old 12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

thanks matt.

for those who don't care to read the auction description, here is more embellishment from lelands…..

“Completely and totally fresh to the market, this is the first time this glowing cardboard masterpiece has ever been offered publicly.”

i'm not making this stuff up, it's THEIR item description.

regarding your only real question scott, i have no idea where memory lane got "came to market in 1946". no idea at all. all known t3 proofs came from a descendant of the printer. there is no mention of t3 proofs in anything i have ever read or heard before they all walked into the NYC show in 1973.

i would call JP out on that if he was active in a thread regarding his auction too....so don't take it personal scott.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

I won't take it personal, thanks for pointing out my shortcomings, it is always helpful in trying to better myself.

Scott

Old 12-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I bought my Schmidt at the Plymouth, Michigan show in the 1980's from Bill Mastro.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Evans

My bad.

I have to claim full responsibility for the faulty provenance. I assumed it was in the collection for a long time. The guy was an old timer and has been around a long time and I assumed he had gotten it years before. I should have gotten further information but I didn’t talk have a chance to talk to him in depth. I apologize.

I also claim responsibility for my misuse of the term “decades and decades.” Obviously 90’s and 00’s is not decades and decades.

However, the best thing about these auctions though is that when you make mistakes there is a flotilla of knowledge to catch you on it. That flotilla is full of our clients. Thanks Andy.

Auction is still going. Scott and I are still plugging.
Josh

Old 12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

“Completely and totally fresh to the market, this is the first time this glowing cardboard masterpiece has ever been offered publicly.”

That's almost as bad as the Omaha Steak marketing flyers I get in the mail. Talk about over-the-top writing! Reading them out loud will cause an entire room to erupt in laughter.

"I'm sure that you are someone who knows that a good steak can cost a day's wages and also knows the difference between a 5-star steak dinner and a fast food hamburger."

"One look at the mouthwatering marbling of our filet mignon will have you gasping in delightful anticipation."