NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM
R Dixon

Default Detecting Trimmed Cards

This topic has been covered in the past I know, and I've done some research on my own, but I was hoping for advice on detecting trimmed cards (primarily T206).

I've only been collecting pre-war for a couple of years. My first purchase on the BST was a couple of T206's that got rejected for trimming by SGC. I sold them, and now I really wish I would have kept them as a comparator. Any way, after that I only bought graded cards...until recently. I finally got the courage to jump back in, thinking that I had learned enough and seen enough cards. That being said, every time I get a new card in the mail I stare at it, put it under a black light, look at it in magnification, and then put it in the box...still wondering if it's been alterred.

Not all of my T206's are the same size, but I know that's not the be all end all. How do you check your raw cards for trimming? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Pup6913

Funny thing is I have been there before. I have bought cards that the seller and I both were sure the card was not trimmed and it came back trimmed and some I thought that were trimmed that were fine. Its a crap shoot.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Paul

Default SGC Collector Magazine

SGC Collector Magazine did a really nice piece on how to detect trimming on T206 cards.

The article described how T206 cards out of the factory do not have sharp edges -- and what I mean by "edges" is when you hold a card perpendicular to you, looking only at the edge so you cannot see either the face or the reverse, you should notice that the angles from face to edge and then again from edge to reverse are not both 90 degree angles. The edges are ever so slightly beveled. On a trimmed edge, you would have 90 degree angles on both face- and reverse-to-edge angles.

Moreover, what you should do with every raw T206 card you buy is examine all four edges without looking at the face or reverse. You will see that the edges are not perfectly flat. You may notice striations and light paper irregularities. On a trimmed edge, the entire edge will look uniform in texture and color.

Finally, obvious trims are evident from things like looking at the flow of the edge while looking at the card's face. When you cut something with a scissor, you will not have a factory-straight line. And, check for even corner wear on all four edges. And note that if you take a rounded corner and trim both edges that form the corner, you will often be left with what is affectionately known as a "bat ear," which is a strangely shaped corner that has strong wear on the tip, but absolutely no wear on the edges leading up to the tip.

Get your hands on that SGC Collector Magazine article. It is really quite educational.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Barry Arnold

Default trimmed

Paul M has given you great help.
i would just add what you were already feeling---
get a trimmed card and spend what seems like an inordinate time with it using the tactile and visual senses again and again.
Day after day.
Then you will be a small part of the way there.
all the best,
barry
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Matt Hall

I thought that t206s only had two beveled edges...
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I thought that t206s only had two beveled edges...
That may be true. I have not read the article I referenced in quite awhile.

@SignedT206
Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

When is a trimmed card a trimmed card? heck, who really knows! i've sent cards to one company the cards came back trimmed, sent the same card to another company and guess what, came back with a grade. that said, i believe that a trimmed card is a trimmed card no matter who grades it. maybe, just maybe, grading companies have a "different" way of detecting trimming?????????
Old 08-31-2010, 08:56 AM
J@son M1ller

Default Beveled edges

That's my understanding as well. Two edges are beveled. One vertical and one horizontal. So if you have three sharp edges, you're probably looking at a trimmed card.

But I'll echo what Andrew said. It's a crap shoot. Ive talked to some very knowledgeable collectors who still get burned. Happens to me and I'm sure it will happen to you again. I think I've learned how to avoid the obvious trims but when I send a batch of 20 into the grader I expect 1 or 2 to come back A.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Paul

Default If you're one of those people...

....that takes pride in looking at a framed picture on the wall and knowing when it is not perfectly level, then odds are you have a pretty good eye at identifying trimmed cards.

I've probably sent close to 1,000 raw T206 cards to SGC over the past decade and I believe I have actually a pretty good idea not only which cards will grade and what they will grade for, but also, which ones are trimmed.

Go to a show where SGC has set up a table with a grader present and bring a stack of raw cards with you. Having a discussion about them with the grader is extremely informative and won't cost you a penny.

@SignedT206