NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-06-2017, 07:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default I just don't get it (another TPG complaint, of course)...

This is basically a throwaway thread, but all of us who collect the 1972 Topps set know how hard it is to come by certain cards that are nicely centered. One of the toughest to find with sweet centering is #50 Willie Mays In Action, and a nice premium is usually paid for them. So imagine my surprise when I cruised ebay and ran across these three cards, all given 8's without any qualifiers. Huh??? And they are all in new holders. I thought conventional wisdom says that PSA graders are tougher these days. No?? These cards certainly belie that!! How in heck aren't these 8 OC, as the pictures practically fall off the left side of the card????? Yowza!!!

1972mays50oc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Ben North

I only use PSA for cards I am going to sell. When I receive those grades on cards like that I am very happy. When I see others get those grades I just shake my head and wonder WTF. That is the most honest answer you will receive.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Is it possible they are 9-OC's but the submitter(s) didn't want qualifiers?
Old 10-07-2017, 03:51 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA standards for PSA 8 are 35/65 on the front and 10/90 on the back. The two on the left look around that, and the one on the right should be a 7 or below.
Centering is one place where PSA is more lenient than BGS/BVG, but on par with SGC (as long as it's not miscut).

Neither of them are centered well, but why does it drive you crazy? Continue to pay a premium for centered copies, and pass less or don't buy uncentered copies.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:33 AM
Ne@l K

My guess is they were graded many years ago and re-holdered

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 10-07-2017, 07:46 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Nope, they all have new cert numbers. Would retain original certs if they were reholdered.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Dave Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Is it possible they are 9-OC's but the submitter(s) didn't want qualifiers?
If only we actually had that option. Lol

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Dave Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
PSA standards for PSA 8 are 35/65 on the front and 10/90 on the back. The two on the left look around that, and the one on the right should be a 7 or below.
The left-most two look OK to me as well, the card on the right should be 8 OC.

"Collectors were supposedly enjoying the pure hobby of baseball card collecting, but they were also concerned with the monetary value of their collections." House of Cards by John Bloom, 1997.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:29 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTheBetter View Post
If only we actually had that option. Lol
Q: What are “Qualifiers” and “No Grades”?
A: A “Qualifier” is a term used when an item meets all of the criteria for a particular grade but may still have one significant flaw. Depending on the severity of the flaw, we may be able to “qualify” the item for a higher grade by identifying this indiscretion on the label, for example: OC – Off Center or PD– Print Defects. You have the option of selecting “No Qualifiers” on the submission form; however, please keep in mind the card grade will be lowered depending on the severity. Moreover, there are certain qualifiers that PSA will not remove such as MK –marked and MC – miscut, for example.

The “No Grade” term is used when an item cannot be graded by PSA for a variety of reasons. For example, PSA will not grade items that bear evidence of trimming (N1), restoration (N2), recoloration (N3), questionable authenticity (N4), altered stock (N5) or cleaning (N7). In the event that PSA rejects an item for any of these reasons, it will be returned and the grading fees are still charged, as the determination to reject a card requires an expert review by PSA's authenticators and graders. PSA will also not grade items that do not meet the minimum size requirement (N6), were miscut by the manufacturer (N8), or items we do not grade due to being an obscure issue or not fitting in our holders (N9). Items that receive N6, N8 or N9 results will not be charged the grading fee.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:59 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

He may be saying that he would take the conversion of any 9(OC) to an 8. PSA will normally automatically downgrade a single grade drop due to any flaw, but return a Mint card that's heavily off-centered either 9(OC) or PSA 7 or below based on their listed requirements on that page:
PSA 7: 75/25 or better
PSA 6: 80/20 or better
PSA 5: 85/15 or better
PSA 4: 85/15 again
PSA 3: 90/10 or better
PSA 2: 90/10 again
PSA 1.5: 90/10 again
PSA 1: Not miscut

So a Gem Mint otherwise card that's 89/11 can supposedly only get a top non-qualified grade of PSA 3, or it would be a 9(OC). That's why I never select "No qualifiers." Why not take a much higher grade and registry set value? 9(Q) = 7 for the registy.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Dave Becker

PSA never removes the OC qualifier from their grade.

Yes you can get a no-grade, but they will never downgrade an 8 or 9 card
due to centering, removing the OC. To do otherwise is fraudulent.

They have never done this and never will. A card's attributes cannot
be changed. It is what it is. And the submitter has no say in this.

If you want your 8-OC to become a 7, then I suggest that you crack
it out, damage a few corners, and resubmit.

Last edited by OlderTheBetter; 10-07-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:48 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

Yes you can get a no-grade, but they will not downgrade a card
due to centering, removing the OC.

They have never done this and never will. A card's attribute cannot
be changed. It is what it is.
The won't remove mk or MC qualifiers, but if a card is submitted with "no qualifiers" requested, it will be graded at the highest grade for the measured centering without the o/c designation.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Dave Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
The won't remove mk or MC qualifiers, but if a card is submitted with "no qualifiers" requested, it will be graded at the highest grade for the measured centering without the o/c designation.
If they are doing this now then it's a newer policy. I haven't done a PSA
subsmission in two years. But to me that's fraudulent. If the card is OC
then it just is -- and to say it is not is a lie.

So are they now allowing 8OC cards to become a 6.? Geez I'm glad that
I stopped monkeying with PSA. It's just a money grab now. Totally bogus.
Would be more valid to just stop giving OC qualifiers completely and let the
market determine if the card looks good for the grade.

Last edited by OlderTheBetter; 10-07-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:28 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, you're talking out of ignorance on this one. I have already wrote their standards down in the thread and you can get a 6 just for off-centeredness with no other damage and no OC if you request No Qualifiers on the submission. Either you didn't know the rules in the first place, or you haven't been paying attention for a long time.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I only use PSA for cards I am going to sell. When I receive those grades on cards like that I am very happy. When I see others get those grades I just shake my head and wonder WTF. That is the most honest answer you will receive.
Agreed. I personally prefer Beckett grading but since PSA commands the top prices I buy PSA

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Glyn Parson

Default You most certainly can

You most certainly can request no qualifiers. This has been an option since 1993 or 1994 shortly after they started. that would make a 9 oc worse then an 8 though. Its generally two lower some more very few times less. I also agree that i think the first two just make it. the third one looks like they missed the oc qualifier on data submission. like stated mc and mk qualifiers can not be opted out of.

Last edited by glynparson; 10-07-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Q: What are “Qualifiers” and “No Grades”?
A: A “Qualifier” is a term used when an item meets all of the criteria for a particular grade but may still have one significant flaw. Depending on the severity of the flaw, we may be able to “qualify” the item for a higher grade by identifying this indiscretion on the label, for example: OC – Off Center or PD– Print Defects. You have the option of selecting “No Qualifiers” on the submission form; however, please keep in mind the card grade will be lowered depending on the severity. Moreover, there are certain qualifiers that PSA will not remove such as MK –marked and MC – miscut, for example.

The “No Grade” term is used when an item cannot be graded by PSA for a variety of reasons. For example, PSA will not grade items that bear evidence of trimming (N1), restoration (N2), recoloration (N3), questionable authenticity (N4), altered stock (N5) or cleaning (N7). In the event that PSA rejects an item for any of these reasons, it will be returned and the grading fees are still charged, as the determination to reject a card requires an expert review by PSA's authenticators and graders. PSA will also not grade items that do not meet the minimum size requirement (N6), were miscut by the manufacturer (N8), or items we do not grade due to being an obscure issue or not fitting in our holders (N9). Items that receive N6, N8 or N9 results will not be charged the grading fee.
Quote:

Yes you can get a no-grade, but they will never downgrade an 8 or 9 card
due to centering, removing the OC. To do otherwise is fraudulent.

They have never done this and never will. A card's attributes cannot
be changed. It is what it is. And the submitter has no say in this.

If you want your 8-OC to become a 7, then I suggest that you crack
it out, damage a few corners, and resubmit.
What I posted above is right out of their site. I bolded and tilted it specifically to emphasis that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
You most certainly can request no qualifiers. This has been an option since 1993 or 1994 shortly after they started. that would make a 9 oc worse then an 8 though. Its generally two lower some more very few times less. I also agree that i think the first two just make it. the third one looks like they missed the oc qualifier on data submission. like stated mc and mk qualifiers can not be opted out of.
I wasn't a 100% sure how long that had been an option but I did know it had been around for a while.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:36 PM
Dave Becker

Yes I stand corrected.

But it's a shameful practice really. If a card is truly OC then that should not be changeable at the submitter's whim.

For me it's practices like this that make PSA a shameful money grab
and undermine the credibility of TPG. Just accept a lower grade and
you can make an entire attribute of a card go away. Total nonsense.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Dave Becker

Yes I stand corrected.

But it's a shameful practice really. If a card is truly OC then that should not
be changeable at the submitter's whim.

My favorite LCS stlll refuses to deal with graded cards, and he continues
on as if the whole thing never happened. I see his viewpoint sometimes
and an issue like this is one of the reasons.

Last edited by OlderTheBetter; 10-07-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Larry More.y

Red face

Quote:
Yes I stand corrected.

But it's a shameful practice really. If a card is truly OC then that should not be changeable at the submitter's whim.

Haven't SGC and Beckett been grading cards without the use of qualifiers and deducting from a card's overall grade for being off centered since they started? Seems like PSA is merely providing this same option to their customers by allowing submitters to request that most qualifiers not be applied to their card and subsequently deducting for the centering from the grade.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 10-07-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:39 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Yes I stand corrected.

But it's a shameful practice really. If a card is truly OC then that should not
be changeable at the submitter's whim.

My favorite LCS stlll refuses to deal with graded cards, and he continues
on as if the whole thing never happened. I see his viewpoint sometimes
and an issue like this is one of the reasons.
I don't understand how that is shameful. It's not difference than saying that a card would be an 8 except for that one corner ding, instead I got a 6. By giving qualifiers on certain cards, they are actually trying to do the customer a favor by saying in this instance we'll rate it higher with an asterisk.

If they didn't offer qualifiers, then an OC card that qualifies for a max 6 grade would be a 6 period, regardless of how nice it is otherwise. Just like a perfect card with one bad corner.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Al Richter

Dave-- I am not a graded guy but you appear to be swimming in one of those rip tides