NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Default E101 Murphy printer's mark? Other freaks?

Hi all, I was wondering two things:

1- is this a real E101 card or a reprint that has been aged (I don't know the E101 set at all).
2- if it is real, does the printer's mark carry a premium with this set? I've seen that on the T206 set it can carry a HUGE premium, even on cards this messed up (if the subject is right).

The card was cheap enough that I went ahead and took the risk and made the purchase.

Which leads me to the next part of this thread:

What sets besides T206 are people after freaks/oddities/mis-cuts/printer's scrap/etc.? Sorry if this has been discussed before, I've only been here a few months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E101 Danny Murphy.jpg (75.8 KB, 157 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM
pete ullman

looks real...many caramels have printing marks and historically they carry no premium...esp on a card that beat up.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

As the previous owner of this card that sold it as a lot I can tell you that it is, indeed, authentic. As far as the printing mark on them they don't seem to carry any premium.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I picked this one up from a board member last week as I liked the printer marks. You can see them faintly on the sides too. They don't add any value for the most part. Now if it were a T206 it would be worth around a billion or so dollars. To answer the other part of the question most freaks and oddities do carry a small premium. The more freakish and odd the more the premium. T205s are quite collected in that space....I paid around $75 for this E90-1.

Last edited by Leon; 04-21-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Thanks guys, that is just the info I was looking for. This is my first E101, and it was on a "best offer" listing, so I figured, "why not, I don't have one." Sort of like the Honus Wagner T206, I don't have one, so why not? Oh yeah.....

Andy, thanks for vouching for the authenticity, even when I don't pay much, I hate to pay for fake.

So does anyone know what sets (other than T206) do people seem to really love freaks of? Also, can I ever buy a card that was not owned previously by a net54 member? I mean seriously, Andy owned this beat up ol' piece of cardboard, and remembers it? The best thing about being old is it is like getting new cards every time I open up one of my collector's albums. Hey, where did that come from?

Ed

Old 04-21-2014, 04:09 PM
pete ullman

it takes a freak...to overpay for a freak...at this time only T206 command huge premiums for freaks.

If a freak is "freakish" enough...in any set...it should command a premium...the more freakish...the higher the premium. The more popular the set...the more freakish the freak...the higher the price!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:26 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
it takes a freak...to overpay for a freak...at this time only T206 command huge premiums for freaks.

If a freak is "freakish" enough...in any set...it should command a premium...the more freakish...the higher the premium. The more popular the set...the more freakish the freak...the higher the price!

So, if I understand this right, there are freaks in every set, but not every freak is an valuable freak. But when you see a T206 freak that makes you say "what the freak," that is a super freak. Got it.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Marc

I was the seller of this card. It is definitely authentic and a real crop mark on the top. I have seen cards from multiple sets with these marks, and they sometimes do sell for a bit of a premium, but often none at all. Nonetheless, it is an interesting card, despite the condition.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 PM
pete ullman

pretty close Ed...also...some sets are known for poor quality control...e92 crofts come to mind...so in these sets freaks are more prevalent...and likely worth less...conversely...some sets...like E145 seem to have relatiively few freaks...so less freakish cards may be more desirable/valuable.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdelpercio View Post
I was the seller of this card. It is definitely authentic and a real crop mark on the top. I have seen cards from multiple sets with these marks, and they sometimes do sell for a bit of a premium, but often none at all. Nonetheless, it is an interesting card, despite the condition.
Hey, thanks for accepting the best offer, and such a smooth transaction. Like I said, I don't know this set, and I was just checking. It always feels better when I know the seller is a member here, I'll be watching your site for more business. Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:04 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Since the T206 misprints/freaks always seem to get all the publicity and the caramels rarely get any mention, figured I'd repost my e-something Davis compared to a normal e92 Davis. Anyone else have any others?

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Since the T206 misprints/freaks always seem to get all the publicity and the caramels rarely get any mention, figured I'd repost my e-something Davis compared to a normal e92 Davis. Anyone else have any others?

DJ
There ya go, this is where I was hoping this thread would go!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
There ya go, this is where I was hoping this thread would go!
Why the heck did PSA think that card is an E104?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

e92 Lobert with Menagerie back

Miscut e98 Connie Mack:

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Why the heck did PSA think that card is an E104?
No idea as it is so obviously labeled. The only thing I can think of is its a blank backed Davis and someone just completely forgot that the E104's are all portraits? In any case, I'm just glad it showed up on my ebay searches for Nadjas.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Marc

A double-headed E90-3 Schulte with a badly offset red pass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e90-3schultefront.jpg (78.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg e90-3schulteface.jpg (75.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Daryl

Here's my only (mild) print freak. The green ink is slightly wrapped from the back to the front.