NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Jim VB

And while we're at it, while I understand the point the original poster was trying to make, the title of this thread is ridiculous. That's like saying "It's not poor Jeffrey Dahmer's fault! It's those 17 stupid people who allowed themselves to be killed and eaten."
Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
And while we're at it, while I understand the point the original poster was trying to make, the title of this thread is ridiculous. That's like saying "It's not poor Jeffrey Dahmer's fault! It's those 17 stupid people who allowed themselves to be killed and eaten."
This explains why my "Blame the children, not the pedophiles" bumper stickers haven't been selling. Another failed business venture.

Maybe I should get into the auction business. I hear it's pretty lucrative if you do it right.

-Ryan
Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
That and the lack of punctuation makes it look like an e.e. cummings' poem or a line from "Flowers for Algernon."
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 AM
Scott

Default Bob,

just curious, is this your first auction with Legendary? have they used you before, or are you a recent attempt by them to gain back trust?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Jeffrey Dahmer did not kill ME or anyone I know. Therefore I have no problem with him.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Plus it wasn't like he targeted me in particular. He caught and boiled anyone who wandered by.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 AM

Don't forget Legendary did not change passwords. Mastro is still a collector and has all the passwords. He can look at all bids and bid himself knowing the other bidders max
Old 02-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

What if Mastro was a consignor in this auction? Like a significant consignor?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:43 PM
James Wymer

In fairness to Bob Freedman, he only provides the vehicle or software. The auctioneer makes the choice to be honest or misuse bidder's trust. A dishonest auctioneer could pay someone to create whatever code he wants.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

^^great point

Last edited by murcerfan; 03-09-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Jerry - your point could be well taken, but you are missing something critical.

Suppose a card has a fair market value of $2000 and it is sitting at $1400 late on the final night. The auction house then places the next bid of $1500. Sure, they run the risk of buying it, but at that level they may be glad to do so.

I think with some auction houses the policy is they will not let anything go cheap, even if they have to buy it themselves. And had they won that $2000 card for the $1500 bid, they would just hang onto it for a bit and resell it for a profit down the road. So they really risked nothing.
I guess we can remove that last sentence. Didn't work so well for H&S.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
What if Mastro was a consignor in this auction? Like a significant consignor?
Well as far as I know, he almost was and probably is!

He tried Awfully hard to Squeeze a Pretty Valuable Card from me about a month ago... And then he tactfully implied that I was being taught a lesson for not selling the card to him.

I will never have anything to do with him or anyone that he's involved with.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

That's a shame. I would have thought that washing the feet of the lepers in Calcutta would have humbled the man. Oh well.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Shilling is illegal, guy, in any jurisdiction. Regardless of whether collectors should expect to be run up if they leave max bids in an auction, they are not supposed to be defrauded by the auctioneer acting illegally.

FWIW, on the lot I won in yesterday's auction I won two increments below my max bid and the underbidder has already confirmed with me that he was the actual underbidder, so my lot wasn't shilled.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

I won seven lots last night, five below my max - put in ceiling bids and left, and two I reconsidered and fought out to the end. So if there was shilling, I still got everything for less than I was willing to pay.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I won seven lots last night, five below my max - put in ceiling bids and left, and two I reconsidered and fought out to the end. So if there was shilling, I still got everything for less than I was willing to pay.
Me too Scott. I got 1 of my items $1000 below my max ceiling bid, so I am confident Legendary isn't guilty. I have several lots in tonight's as well that I am currently winning, but it is early
Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Me too Scott. I got 1 of my items $1000 below my max ceiling bid, so I am confident Legendary isn't guilty. I have several lots in tonight's as well that I am currently winning, but it is early
Good luck tonight - being the first big Spring auction, it's likely to get crazy again. Some of us hung out in chat last night and gutted it out - join us if you can.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 PM
James Wymer

Murcerfan who are you telling to shut up?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Steven

I put my max bid in with 24 hrs to go and it sold for 1 increment less than my max. After I put in my max bid there was only 1 additional bid until the end of the auction.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Bidders (customers) have a right to presume the companies they do business with are running an honest business. Unfortunately that is not the case with many auction houses in this hobby.

"Its not the auction houses (sic) fault its (sic) the bidders (sic)" is equivalent to saying its not the rapist's fault, it is the victim's fault for looking attractive to the rapist.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 03-09-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post

you have to be a complete moron or fraud to shill this month after what was recently revealed...now may be the best time to win an auction from one of the houses...

i read this entire thread and didnt realize it was from 2 years ago, how things stay the same...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Dan Marke1

My observation is that these sports-related auction sellers are under a lot of mental strain. For example, I know one eBay seller who was confronted with indisputable evidence that one of his several eBay bidding accounts was used to bid on his primary eBay selling account. He explained that it was totally accidental and didn't realize that he was bidding on his own auctions. I'm sure that's the case with many of these auction houses too.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
i read this entire thread and didnt realize it was from 2 years ago, how things stay the same...
wow -- me too. read the whole thing and only now noticed the year for the majority of the thread was 2010. eery how concerns and suspicions remain the same.

to the individual who revived the thread -- what made you dig this one back up?

Thanks,
--S
Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Belltown Vintage

Looked like someone just wanted to take another shot at Legendary as their auction was ending.