NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2017, 09:59 PM
David Kathman

Default My baseball card type checklist, 1980-81

As a kid collecting baseball cards, I was interested in older, vintage cards early on, and one of my goals was to get at least one card from as many different sets as possible. In short, I was a type collector. This started at the age of 10 in 1976, when I sent away to a mail-order place I found in Baseball Digest, Hobby Card House, sending them $2.95 plus 25 cents postage for one card from each Topps set, 1952 through 1975. Over the next few years I got cards representing a bunch of other sets -- from older kids in the neighborhood; from the Sports Collector's Store on the southwest side of Chicago, where we went once or twice a year starting in 1977; from another mail-order dealer, Paul Marchant, whose 1979 price list I've posted (here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209650); and starting in 1980, from card shows, which were held a few times a year in the Chicago area.

In 1980, when I was 14 years old, I made a checklist of all the baseball card types I could find in my card reference works, in order to keep track of which types I had and which ones I needed. I organized it by American Card Catalogue classifications, which I included when I knew them. I still have this booklet, and I've scanned it below. When I got a new type, I would put an X by it in the list and update the numbers at the top of the section and on the cover of the book. I continued doing this for about a year, adding the new 1981 sets on a new page when they came out, and adding new sets when I became aware of them. If you look closely at the N card section on page 5, you can see where I erased a zero and put "1", after I got my first Old Judge at a card show at the Hillside Holiday Inn.

My interest in collecting gradually faded starting in 1982, but luckily I kept all my cards, so I had a good base to start with when I got back into the hobby in 1991. I was still interested in type collecting, and with a little more money in my pocket (and more access to card shows and Sports Collectors Digest), I was able to add examples from a lot more sets. I never returned to that original type checklist, though, so it remains a snapshot of one area of my collection as it was in 1981.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Sam Lemoine

That is awesome! I have an old Beckett guide from 1984 that I marked up with what I had (I was 18 at the time). I sold it all in 1987. When I look back at what they cost then, and what it has cost me to replace it. Ugh! But you had quite a nice variety for a 14 year old! I was 14 in 1980 as well, and I wasn't even in the same ballpark.