NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Default Trolls not allowed on new board

Posted By: Leroy

trolls won't be allowed on this board....(leon)

Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chiprop

Is there a way to know if someone has read or is reading your semi-private message?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

So what? If you don't like it, send an email instead of a PM. Personally, I have never assumed that any form of electronic communication is "private."

Also, not that it makes a difference, but Matt is not an administrator.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Hey - at least he spelled my name right...

Also, I think you might be wrong - and admins cannot read PMs, but I'll look into it and get back to you - thanks for asking.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Just confirming my suspicion - this is wrong. vBulletin does NOT allow administrators (or anyone other then the sender and the recipient) to view private messages between users.

I actually think the PM system is going to be a big plus on the new forum - no more issues with your email getting lost in cyberspace or going into someone's SPAM filter. If you send a PM, you know they get it.

Just in case anyone needs documentation - here is a quote from the Admin manual:
"Private message statistics allows you to view what users have the most private messages stored. You will not be able to view the actual messages though."
http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/users_pm_stats

Old 04-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Leon can't read your messages, but he can read your thoughts. Completely covering your head in tinfoil is the only solution.

This is fact!

Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Leroy

Dear Matt,

You may wish to do additional research on this subject. This should help get you started.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60409

http://www.mac-help.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3357

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123166&highlight=read+personal+me ssages

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92815

Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Trolls won't be allowed on the new board....Which is exactly what you are. I could care less about private messages or emails. You are an idiot.

edited to clarify

Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Let me then clarify.

Everything you ever view on the internet is stored in a database somewhere. When you browse to a web site, the text for the pages on the web site are retrieved from the database, and sent to your browser so you can see them. When you check your email, your emails are stored in a database, retrieved by the server and sent to you.

Anyone who has access to those databases has access to the data you send - your CC number, your emails, all that stuff is out there in databases and the people who have access to those databases have access to the data. So, I suppose, technically, Leon, who has the login to our mySQL database has access to the PMs. However, access isn't enough.

In addition to access, you need the ability to get the data you want. In this case, Leon would need software that could query the database, the ability to know how to write a mySQL query, to know which tables and fields store the PMs and then to know how to select which user's PMs he wants to read. I don't think Leon will be insulted when I say that it is FAR more likely that hackers will get into whatever email account you use and read your emails then it is Leon doing all of the above and being able to read your PMs.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

no trolls on the new board...Happy days...

also this trolls email bounced ...of course.....I am going to lock this thread but suffice it to say no one will be reading private messages or emails if done through any board I moderate. I wouldn't even know how to do it...nor would I care.....just send an email if it is a concern.....