NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Goldin Auctions Summer Spectacular Auction...featuring Kobe Bryant Memorabilia

all details we can release at this time are HERE...this includes detail on the Kobe Bryant items in the auction

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....AlVNHduQ%3D%3D

get more info on the auction and watch a preview in the slider at
https://www.goldinauctions.com/

its going to be a great one!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ents-apologize
Old 06-10-2013, 11:16 AM
K!ya S@bet

Damn I really wanted to see what the "Kids Choice award" Surf Board went for.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

This is a vintage baseball card board. Who cares about this stuff?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
This is a vintage baseball card board. Who cares about this stuff?
There over 100 vintage cards in the auction, including a COMPLETE SET RUN from 1948-1996
7 complete 19th century sets, a fine selection of pre war cards, and ............ a T206 Ty Cobb with a Ty Cobb back...and the matching TIN to go along with it.

all of that was delayed from being announced until the Kobe situation was resolved.
A preview of some of the items are currently up at goldinauctions.com

so although the KOBE portion may not apply to this particular segment, the entire auction certainly does
Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 AM
pete ullman

cobb w/cobb back...wowsers!!!! results should be interesting!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

While Goldin said he wasn't free to divulge the terms of the settlement, what is clear is that approximately 90 percent of what previously was being offered has been pulled off the table, though the remaining ones are some of the most highly coveted items.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Tom Boblitt

It says KEY Bryant items.....maybe more is in there that's not as KEY as those (6) items.....
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Hmmm, strange how controversy seems to find certain folks time and again.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I’m confused how are two people selling the same card?

Goldin has this same card as the premier lot #3 for the June 17th auction.

Yet the below site also has the same card for sale right now.

I can even add the card to my cart and check out, with free shipping I may add.

If I was to say buy the card from the above site then wouldn’t lot #3 in Goldin’s auction disappear?

This is also the same site and or guy who was in and banned in a single post correct?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169551

So what gives are two people selling the same card at the same time?

Seems odd 7 days before an auction starts I can pull a BIN with another company on a major advertised lot.

Cheers,

John
Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

John- I think the guy that was banned was a broker, for the most part, as I posted in post #3 of that thread (the edit).
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Got that much Leon, same webpage for the card above just wasn't going to assume it was the same guy but same webpage for sure.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Ken Goldin

The T206 Cobb with the Cobb back is locked up in the vault at Goldin Auctions, where it has been since approximately March 10th.

I hear its pretty rampant these days people trying to sell famous cards they do not own.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ken, noted however this certain site/seller has quite a few major cards up for sale, of which the owners have commented on the board that it was on the up and up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-Ho...item232ac91373

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...Wagner+on+ebay

This is why I was confused it didn't seem as simple as a fraudster with a fake eBay or website. More like two folks both looking to sell the same card.

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 06-11-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Christopher Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Hmmm, strange how controversy seems to find certain folks time and again.
Chris,

What exactly are you trying to say with this comment?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Just above the cobb in the website screen capture it says 1956 topps mickey mantle psa 9.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Ken, noted however this certain site/seller has quite a few major cards up for sale, of which a the owners have commented on the board that it was on the up and up.

This is why I was confused it didn't seem as simple as a fraudster with a fake eBay or website. More like two folks both looking to sell the same card.

John

I think it was established on the CU forum that this guy was not entirely "on the up and up." I could have misread the thread you provided, but it seems as though the owner of the Wagner was vouching for the eBay listing, not the website you previously posted about (the man who runs the website is not the same man who is selling the Wagner on eBay). You can add whatever cards you would like into your cart on that website, but I am fairly certain many of them are not in his possession.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Ken Goldin

Quote:
Ken, noted however this certain site/seller has quite a few major cards up for sale, of which a the owners have commented on the board that it was on the up and up.

John

Thanks for the info John. It is now gone, poof, from the site. Rather then get into it, lets just state that my original comment was correct, it has been in my vault for this auction since early March, and no one else is or was authorized to offer it for sale. I am glad it was caught before the auction opened Monday
Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Matt

I recently met with and purchased a card from the broker in question. Despite the website, I can offer firsthand that he was communicative, reliable, prompt, informative, and delivered a quality card at the best price I've seen it offered since 2011. His knowledge of cards and the market was thorough, and he was very affable as well. Just felt it right to throw that account into the discussion.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I recently met with and purchased a card from the broker in question. Despite the website, I can offer firsthand that he was communicative, reliable, prompt, informative, and delivered a quality card at the best price I've seen it offered since 2011. His knowledge of cards and the market was thorough, and he was very affable as well. Just felt it right to throw that account into the discussion.
Does he have a name?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Peter I think his name is Jason and he used to work for Memory Lane?

I also think the website and the eBay seller are one and the same. I think this was a case of the consignor having the card shopped by the other company prior and then giving it to Ken and not telling the above company/person to yank it down

That's my guess.

Cheers,

John
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

From the website...

Then And Now Collectibles

Jason Stern
Owner/Broker
Foothill Ranch, Ca 92610
United States
949-680-7778
JMT Investment Group
gdnitenow@aol.com

Same guy who had the Wagner listed on eBay.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Matt

Yes his name is Jason Stern. I would buy from him again, having met him. Far less concerned with web design than I am his ability to track down cards I want that meet my eye-appeal standards-- and most of all at a fair price.

Last edited by MattyC; 06-11-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Peter I think his name is Jason and he used to work for Memory Lane?

I also think the website and the eBay seller are one and the same. I think this was a case of the consignor having the card shopped by the other company prior and then giving it to Ken and not telling the above company/person to yank it down

That's my guess.

Cheers,

John
BINGO
life goes on....no blood no foul
Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ahhh this gives me an idea as a future consignor give the same card to multiple auction houses at the same time and let them fight it out whoever gets the highest price gets the sale.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Christopher Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne View Post
Chris,

What exactly are you trying to say with this comment?
Chris "Bubba" Lamb,

Given you have posted on Network 54 elsewhere since I asked what you meant by your comment that "Hmmm, strange how controversy seems to find certain folks time and again," I will assume you have no intention of responding to my question and that your comment was directed at Ken Goldin....unless you were referring to Kobe Bryant which I doubt. In addition, given I created Game Used Universe and have monitored the forums there for almost 8 years, I have run across a number of people who sit behind a keyboard and make bold, unsubstantiated claims that have the potential to affect people's livelihoods. In fact, we created rules for posting on GUU to address that exact issue.

Since you have chosen to "boldly" make such a claim here from the obscurity of your keyboard, I will say that I have worked for Ken for a number of months now and I can tell you he has not done anything that can even remotely be considered questionable. It is just the opposite. In fact, we turned down a number of items for our current auction that I am confident a number of other auction houses would have run based on their prior history. In addition, in every instance that Ken has given me his word he has always come through. I also have never seen anyone work as hard as Ken and few people have his ability to promote an auction the way he does. Yes, he drives all of us to try to achieve perfection but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Lastly, I think the record of what I created with Game Used Universe to help eliminate the fraud and suspect activity in the game used memorabilia space speaks to the standards I adhere to as a person. While many claim to be "ethical" I always say you can judge the tree by the fruit it bears. Along those same lines, I say with great confidence that I think what Ken is doing with Goldin Auctions is not only good for the auction business, it is good for the hobby in general.

Happy to hear any additional comments you may have.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Matt Miller

Quote:
Chris "Bubba" Lamb,

Given you have posted on Network 54 elsewhere since I asked what you meant by your comment that "Hmmm, strange how controversy seems to find certain folks time and again," I will assume you have no intention of responding to my question and that your comment was directed at Ken Goldin....unless you were referring to Kobe Bryant which I doubt. In addition, given I created Game Used Universe and have monitored the forums there for almost 8 years, I have run across a number of people who sit behind a keyboard and make bold, unsubstantiated claims that have the potential to affect people's livelihoods. In fact, we created rules for posting on GUU to address that exact issue.

Since you have chosen to "boldly" make such a claim here from the obscurity of your keyboard, I will say that I have worked for Ken for a number of months now and I can tell you he has not done anything that can even remotely be considered questionable. It is just the opposite. In fact, we turned down a number of items for our current auction that I am confident a number of other auction houses would have run based on their prior history. In addition, in every instance that Ken has given me his word he has always come through. I also have never seen anyone work as hard as Ken and few people have his ability to promote an auction the way he does. Yes, he drives all of us to try to achieve perfection but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Lastly, I think the record of what I created with Game Used Universe to help eliminate the fraud and suspect activity in the game used memorabilia space speaks to the standards I adhere to as a person. While many claim to be "ethical" I always say you can judge the tree by the fruit it bears. Along those same lines, I say with great confidence that I think what Ken is doing with Goldin Auctions is not only good for the auction business, it is good for the hobby in general.

Happy to hear any additional comments you may have.

Seriously? You seriously have to ask what he means by his comment?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Christopher Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiller25 View Post
Seriously? You seriously have to ask what he means by his comment?
Yep. I seriously did ask what he meant. I think my post explains why.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Matt Miller

Quote:
Yep. I seriously did ask what he meant. I think my post explains why.
Chris, I admire your steadfastness, and willingness to defend your employer and his moral fiber today. Ken is an advertiser with this board, and I believe he is an honest business person, but with that being said, you just can't ignore his past, and the past of Score Board Inc.

Again, I am completely impartial to this, before you respond, thinking I am bashing him, I am not, but please lets not assume everyone is going to just bury their heads in the sand to the previous history of Mr. Goldin.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I have done freelance work for Ken since January of this year and have found him to be one of the most honest and stand-up men in a hobby full of scum-bags. Maybe "Bubba" should stop being one of those internet tough guys and answer what he meant by his glib post. It really takes a big man to type and run, doesn't it. I don't like to get involved in the petty battles that erupt here from time to time, but I have to say that working for Ken Goldin has actually renewed my faith in a hobby that for me had lost it's fun back in the late 80's. I won't stand by and let some smart little guy write pithy little comments about a guy who's knowledge and integrity I have come to admire. Like Christopher said, I too have seen Ken refuse a number of items that most houses and grading services would wave through based on their history and owners.

I wish Bubba would get some internet muscles and write what he meant. Maybe Ken ripped him off in the past. Maybe he stole his girlfriend in high school or dinged his car door in the Shop Rite parking lot. Whatever it is, be a man and write it.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Christopher Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
I have done freelance work for Ken since January of this year and have found him to be one of the most honest and stand-up men in a hobby full of scum-bags....I have to say that working for Ken Goldin has actually renewed my faith in a hobby that for me had lost it's fun back in the late 80's... I too have seen Ken refuse a number of items that most houses and grading services would wave through based on their history and owners.
For the record, this is exactly the reason for my post. If you have any question regarding Ken's integrity, please do yourself a favor and get to know him. I think you will find his commitment to this hobby to be nothing but positive and, despite any thoughts you might have about the past, very few people are currently working as hard as Ken to do the right thing for bidders and consignors alike. Btw, also for the record, this is coming from someone who has actually taken the time to get to know Ken personally.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Rich Klein

Default Controversy is the wrong word there

Because of Ken's past involvement with the Shop at Home venue for selling cards some people may not look at him with the same light and try to find things wrong with anything he does.

I am not a lawyer but there is little doubt in my mind that Ken has known Kobe since his Scoreboard days and has a relatoinship with all involved and believed all was good. Obviously, all was not good --- but I don't know how that is Ken's fault

And Chris, yes some people are always going to make comments about Ken on this board and if you want my honest opinion (just as I had to learn at Beckett) we may all need a slighter thicker skin. Don't take the bait and just let some comments slide. Flame wars while enteratining, are not what this board needs

Rich
Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Christopher Cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Flame wars while enteratining, are not what this board needs
Rich
Hey Rich,

Thank you for your comments and your perspective. Please note I have no intention to create any "flame wars." However, there is no way I will sit back and let someone post unjustified, disparaging remarks about someone's character (in this situation Ken did nothing to attract controversy) and simply "let it go." There should be some accountability for the things people say here, especially when it involves someone's livelihood, and allowing someone to make unfounded, defamatory comments about something like this is not what this board needs either.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:47 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I feel the same way about "flame wars". I just read the memorabilia or card threads and not the gang-up threads, but this is something I actually have contemporary first-hand knowledge of and thought I too would try to throw water on the flame before another internet tough guy ruined yet another thread.