NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Be glad. We all started off collecting new cards. It's a natural progression which only insures the future of our hobby.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Be glad. We all started off collecting new cards. It's a natural progression which only insures the future of our hobby.
Agreed. Many people colecting Trout, Judge et.al. today will move to Mantle, Ryan, Koufax and then to prewar. I'm sure plenty of us did the same thing. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of people collecting 50's and 60's PSA registry items move to prewar stuff eventually too.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Lonnie Nagel

The Pre War Pool is still to deep for me.... Luckily tho, I find that the 50's just seem to scratch an itch for me......
Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Agreed. Many people colecting Trout, Judge et.al. today will move to Mantle, Ryan, Koufax and then to prewar. I'm sure plenty of us did the same thing. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of people collecting 50's and 60's PSA registry items move to prewar stuff eventually too.
Yes I also started out buying new cards back in the 80's. The big(crazy) difference is back then when we bought the new must have cards we usually spent less than $100. So when they became worthless in a year or 2 it sucked but was not a huge deal. Now the new must have cards are selling for 5 and 6 figures. The only thing that is the same is most are worthless after a couple years.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Are Judge's cards still getting crazy high prices like they once were last year?
Old 03-30-2018, 06:24 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes I also started out buying new cards back in the 80's. The big(crazy) difference is back then when we bought the new must have cards we usually spent less than $100. So when they became worthless in a year or 2 it sucked but was not a huge deal. Now the new must have cards are selling for 5 and 6 figures. The only thing that is the same is most are worthless after a couple years.
I bought up every Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor card I could find. Some were as much as a whopping $20. If those guys were coming into the league today, their 1/1 autos would sell for multiple thousands off the bat. Imagine what a 1/1 canseco rookie auto would sell for today if he had come into the league in 2015 and had those dominant seasons he had. And think of the drop on that card once Canseco lost his mojo. They can't all be Mike Trout...that's why he's special. I don't collect new stuff, but some members on the board whom I respect do. They are educated guys who enjoy rooting on the players whose cards they own. There is fun in that, and that's what collecting is all about. Any way you look at it, it's good that people come into the hobby and follow baseball.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Larry

Quote:
I bought up every Todd Van Poppel and Brien Taylor card I could find. Some were as much as a whopping $20. If those guys were coming into the league today, their 1/1 autos would sell for multiple thousands off the bat. Imagine what a 1/1 canseco rookie auto would sell for today if he had come into the league in 2015 and had those dominant seasons he had. And think of the drop on that card once Canseco lost his mojo. They can't all be Mike Trout...that's why he's special. I don't collect new stuff, but some members on the board whom I respect do. They are educated guys who enjoy rooting on the players whose cards they own. There is fun in that, and that's what collecting is all about. Any way you look at it, it's good that people come into the hobby and follow baseball.
+1 again, pretty much. Only it's not yet certain that even Mike Trout can continue to be Mike Trout. The home stretch isn't even in sight yet. The time to buy him, if he continues on his obvious very strong HOF path, will be in his mid-thirties' downslide, when the speculative and transient demand has vanished, and the newest latest and greatest phenom has come along. A PSA 8 NNOF Frank Thomas could have been had for approximately $500-$600 circa 2008 or so.

Highest regards, Orly,

Larry
Old 03-31-2018, 12:49 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I'd say this is an almost new crop of collector who will be hit with the news that this stuff they are paying exorbitant prices for is in the same boat with the 80s junk that everyone lost nearly all value on.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:56 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
I'd say this is an almost new crop of collector who will be hit with the news that this stuff they are paying exorbitant prices for is in the same boat with the 80s junk that everyone lost nearly all value on.
Exorbitant is different for each person. I am someone buying modern (in addition to Pre and Post war) and I can tell you when “I get hit with the news” you seem to see in your crystal ball, I won’t care what my modern is worth— I am collecting.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Exorbitant is different for each person. I am someone buying modern (in addition to Pre and Post war) and I can tell you when “I get hit with the news” you seem to see in your crystal ball, I won’t care what my modern is worth— I am collecting.
Good plan. An old guy told me a long time ago to buy what you like. Then when it isn't worth anything at least you will like it.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
I agree with your post. I have not kept up with the new products, but I have to wonder about the expectations of a person paying thousands of dollars for a new card.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:21 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
I agree with your post. I have not kept up with the new products, but I have to wonder about the expectations of a person paying thousands of dollars for a new card.
My expectation, when I pay thousands for a new card, is that I will enjoy my new card.

That expectation is met each and every time.

It's the same expectation I have when I buy a card from 1914, 1952, or 1975.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-15-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:39 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
My expectation, when I pay thousands for a new card, is that I will enjoy my new card.

Matty, we get that you collect for the sheer purity, love and enjoyment of the hobby. You can afford it, and could care less if Aaron Judge (or whoever) becomes a bust and you lost several thousands on their cards. But I think you are in the minority there. Just because you are an intelligent collector with means, it doesn't follow that many others aren't risking big bucks chasing the promise of the next Mike Trout. We all got burned in the 80's, but that was CHUMP CHANGE compared to the money being spent on speculative prospects like Strasbourg. I think that is the greater point of this thread. But as I mentioned in a previous post, I think any form of collecting cards is good for our hobby, and I'm all for it.
I will also echo Sam's sentiment from a previous post in that I would love to buy the cards of modern players, but just hate that each guy has 1,000 rookies IN DIFFERING YEARS. There are too many to choose from. I don't want to just buy his 472nd "best" rookie, but I also don't want to spend 5-figures on one of his top 5 rookies. I will spend it on Ruth or Cobb because the cards are awesome and their status as immortals is already secured.

Last edited by orly57; 04-15-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:

Ok. I get that. I use that rational when I purchase a pre World War II card. I fully understand the price fluctuations that can happen in the hobby. But if you paid let’s say $1,000 for a newer card and the value drops precipitously in the following years after the purchase, will you be enthusiastic about spending that type of money on a newer card in the future? Personally I would not.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default +1

Quote:
Would not of been able to say it better !!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Larry

Quote:
+1 in general. The only trouble will arise when that $50K Stanton refractor becomes a $500.00 refractor, which is the likely, long-term result when the demand boosting it to that level is speculative and transient in nature, and disappears with time. Two definitions of insanity: (1) doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result; and (2) buying a Stanton refractor for $50K.

Best to all,

Larry