NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2019, 10:14 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default GOODWIN CHAMPIONS trademark ? .....plus, show us your N162 cards

My favorite cards in my collection are the 1888 GOODWIN CHAMPIONS (N162). The artwork and the lithography is about as fabulous as it gets in this hobby.
Thanks Barry Sloate, for getting me interested in the N162's. I completed my 1st set of 50 cards back in 1989. It was a mix of with and without Trademarks.
Subsequently, this 1st set was modified to be Trademark-free. My 2nd set consists of all Trademark cards; and, I need 6 upgrades to complete this set.

I ran a survey 10 years ago regarding the Trademark version of these cards and it's apparent (at least to me) that the Trademark on N162 cards is a toughie.
See thread...… http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...highlight=N162

I would appreciate your inputs on this subject...and, let's see your N162 cards. It will make for quite a colorful display.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-03-2019, 10:21 AM
pete ullman

Interesting, Ted...I was not aware of this trademark. My sole copy does not have this trademark.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:55 AM
Fred

Here's Dunlap, I'll try to check the N162s I have (later today) and post how many have the trademark.

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1549216406
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N162 Dunalp_F3.jpg (35.8 KB, 423 views)
Old 02-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Tim Carroll

I'd love to own a decent real copy of each, which was the inspiration behind making these. The set is just gorgeous, and I hope to get to the rest of the baseball subjects someday (especially the Keefe).

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart
Old 02-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Barry Sloate

I remember our early N162 deals Ted, and of the 50 card complete set I bought at Willow Grove almost by accident.

Deleted the rest of this due to bad information.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-03-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:40 PM

Ted,

You can now take Taylor off the list.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/items/1899571
Old 02-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Ted is correct. The trademark N162 cards seem to be tougher. I have owned many of these over the years . Still own a complete set but without the Dunlap Detroit version, it’s a tough card. Have been looking for one for years. Saw Fred sold his last month here, just missed it. Here is the only non portrait baseball in the set, Glasscock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050CF4C7-D86E-4D47-9A04-A003B0AF37B9.jpg (9.0 KB, 386 views)
Old 02-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Rich

I love this set. Gorgeous artwork and printing. Unfortunately, I've never owned a card from the set - missed on several opportunities, and now examples are just out of my price range... but maybe one day...
Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Fred

Finally got to the N162s. Out of 14, only 2 with the trademark. Ok, now we all have something else to look for in N162s~ Does that mean we would need to have both trademark and non-trademarked cards to have a complete set?

N162s are definitely some of the best looking 19th century cards produced.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Finally got to the N162s. Out of 14, only 2 with the trademark. Ok, now we all have something else to look for in N162s~ Does that mean we would need to have both trademark and non-trademarked cards to have a complete set?

N162s are definitely some of the best looking 19th century cards produced.
Fred

I've been collecting these "beauties" for 30 years; and, have never seen a Detroit version of Fred Dunlap. Your card (in post # 3) is the 1st one I've seen.
I was convinced it did not exist.

A set of 50 cards (with or without Trademark) is complete. Most sets I've seen typically have a mix of approx. 20% with and 80% without the Trademark.

Here's my Dunlap.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

The Dunlap was my first, but the King is my favorite Goodwin...along with the Allen and Ginter Ward, they're my favorite 19th Century Cards:

1888 N162 GOODWIN CHAMPIONS - KING KELLY SGC-40.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-03-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Old 02-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
The Dunlap was my first, but the King is my favorite Goodwin...along with the Allen and Ginter Ward, they're my favorite 19th Century Cards:

Attachment 343218

Hey Raymond

We think the same.....the N162 Kelly is in my top 5 favorite BB card's in my entire collection. Note how the artist painted storm clouds behind him (matching his personality).

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Fred

Ted and the rest of the board,

The Dunlap "Detroit" is a fantasy card I made (photoshopped). I can remember the old SCD checklist (BB card checklist bible of sorts) indicating both the "Detroit" and "Pittsburg" versions of the card and the guide indicated that the "Pitt" card was the more expensive of the two (which to me meant the scarcer of the two variations). I looked high and low for that damn card and could never find a Detroit version. The conclusion was that one did not exist and the SCD guide had a mistake (yeah, that happens). I finally got a wild hair up my rear and decided to make the card and see if anybody had any comments on it if I put it in the BST.... not a comment. Joe G joined in the fun and we waited for something.... nada...

When I saw this thread I thought it would be fun to throw it in there just to see if anybody had any comments. I figured it would be in the main thread and get more visibility. It would have been really funny if someone else photoshopped one and posted the picture because I would have crapped my pants and tried to get the card, but I know better, it just doesn't exist.....

I was going to let this ride for a few days but I have too much respect for the old timers on this board that have been collecting for a long time.

Ted, my apologies if it disrupted your thread. I just wanted to have a little fun.

What a Superbowl game.... no TDs for more than three quarters... a few interesting records.... longest punt (incredible bounce) and least points scored by a team in the Superbowl. Great Bud Light commercials with the corn syrup!

Just curious, not to highjack the thread, how much do people think a Detroit Dunlap N162 would be worth if only 3 or 4 were known to exist? I'd pay dearly for one.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Rob

Very funny, Fred. I keep notes in a spiral notebook about cards and auctions. Here's what I wrote today..."Sports.ha Evers, n162 dunlap detroit, 350 no frame 37 cards, Bill Watkins $643, 1970 Pontiac Le Mans 4 door." I just scratched the n162 Dunlap Detroit.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Justin

My only example. It has back damage, but does have the trademark.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 02-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:

The Dunlap "Detroit" is a fantasy card I made (photoshopped). I can remember the old SCD checklist (BB card checklist bible of sorts) indicating both the "Detroit" and "Pittsburg" versions of the card and the guide indicated that the "Pitt" card was the more expensive of the two (which to me meant the scarcer of the two variations). I looked high and low for that damn card and could never find a Detroit version. The conclusion was that one did not exist and the SCD guide had a mistake (yeah, that happens). I finally got a wild hair up my rear and decided to make the card and see if anybody had any comments on it if I put it in the BST.... not a comment. Joe G joined in the fun and we waited for something.... nada...

When I saw this thread I thought it would be fun to throw it in there just to see if anybody had any comments. I figured it would be in the main thread and get more visibility. It would have been really funny if someone else photoshopped one and posted the picture because I would have crapped my pants and tried to get the card, but I know better, it just doesn't exist.....

I was going to let this ride for a few days but I have too much respect for the old timers on this board that have been collecting for a long time.

Ted, my apologies if it disrupted your thread. I just wanted to have a little fun.

What a Superbowl game.... no TDs for more than three quarters... a few interesting records.... longest punt (incredible bounce) and least points scored by a team in the Superbowl. Great Bud Light commercials with the corn syrup!

Just curious, not to highjack the thread, how much do people think a Detroit Dunlap N162 would be worth if only 3 or 4 were known to exist? I'd pay dearly for one.

Fred

Although, I was convinced (years ago) that the Detroit version did not exist, you had me wondering all day today.

Apologies not necessary.....you brought some excitement to this forum.

Anyhow, what would it be worth you ask ? In today's crazy market the sky is the limit

Take care,

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-04-2019, 03:46 AM
Barry Sloate

I fell for Fred's photoshopping, and that's why I deleted part of my previous post. I thought I was starting some lively discussion, but it wasn't meant to be.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:57 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:

The Dunlap "Detroit" is a fantasy card I made (photoshopped). I finally got a wild hair up my rear and decided to make the card and see if anybody had any comments on it if I put it in the BST.... not a comment. Joe G joined in the fun and we waited for something.... nada...

Yep. I tried to buy it off you. I couldn't figure out why "captain" was on it. He wasn't captain of Detroit. I didn't comment because I didn't know the rarity of it until I did some research. Glad you fessed up - it's been bugging the hell out of me!

Here's my Dan Brouthers: There seems to be a bluer version, which I actually like much better.

brouthers.jpg
Old 02-04-2019, 06:24 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I remembered this as well (albeit a distant memory)

"I can remember the old SCD checklist (BB card checklist bible of sorts) indicating both the "Detroit" and "Pittsburg" versions of the card." I collected the set about 20 years ago and went off in another direction. With OMG and CRS I forgot all about it when I started the set again sometime in mid 2000's. A recent call from a hobby friend asked me about the Detroit version - which triggered a memory. Unfortunately the memory was apparently one of seeing that entry.
So to be clear - NO-ONE HAS SOLD BOUGHT OR HAS A DETROIT VERSION and it was just a photoshopping frankenmonster?

Shameless shout out - I'm missing TWO common cards to complete the set - Myers and Teemer………..

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 02-04-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
So to be clear - NO-ONE HAS SOLD BOUGHT OR HAS A DETROIT VERSION and it was just a photoshopping frankenmonster?
That is correct.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hey Fred

You and the NE Patriots made my day yesterday.

You (and your "cohort", Joe G.) added some welcomed excitement to this forum..... Thanks, Fred.
Here you go, check-out my two Fred Dunlap cards...…stranger than your's.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Yep. I tried to buy it off you. I couldn't figure out why "captain" was on it. He wasn't captain of Detroit. I didn't comment because I didn't know the rarity of it until I did some research. Glad you fessed up - it's been bugging the hell out of me!

Here's my Dan Brouthers: There seems to be a bluer version, which I actually like much better.

Attachment 343278
Hi Scott

In my first N162 set there is a nice blue Dan Brouthers card.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Ed

Default GOODWIN CHAMPIONS trademark

I have a complete set of 50 and of the 46 I have in hand (the other four are in my safe deposit box) 32 have the trademark and 14 do not. Probably my favorite set.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:52 PM
je.sse @rnot

The only one in my collection. Looks like it has the trade mark in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n162 kelly.jpg (63.3 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg n162 kelly back.jpg (17.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Ted Zanidakis

As usual, if it's a thread about N162 cards, then I show-off my GOODWIN CHAMPIONS Album (designated A36).

Since my High School days (late 1950's), I have been an avid Tennis fan. I still play a competitive 2-hour game
of singles every week. My favorite page in this colorful 12-page album is this pastoral Tennis scene.
The cover of the GOODWIN album is an absolute classic......lithographic art at it's best.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 12-07-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Hey, Ted - Who is Fred calling 'old-timers'?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-05-2019, 10:05 AM
Fred

Old-timers... I guess that can be in reference to people that have been in the hobby for 40-50+ years (at least).

If you looked at the Dunlap Detroit picture and your heart skipped a beat, you're probably an "old timer"

If you fall asleep at the keyboard while typing replies to the board, you're probably an "old timer"

If you look at the baseball cards you popped from the packs when you were a kid and find most of the players have "moved-on", you're probably an "old timer"

If you can recall having a conversation with Burdick, Wharton-Tigar or Lipset (ha, just kidding Lew), you're probably an "old-timer"

If you get more enjoyment out of reading the "OJ" bible than looking at porn, you're probably an "old timer"
Old 02-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Besides the eight BB players, Beecher, and Buffalo Bill....these 2 groups of N162's have always been very popular (Pugilist's and Billiard players).

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Tennis....anyone

Champion Jockey's, including Isaac Murphy (Winner of three Kentucky Derby's).

Row - row - row your boat, gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Ted Zanidakis

This group of fourteen N162 cards, together with the cards on display in Posts # 23, 29, and 30 comprise of a complete set of 50 subjects.
Putting together an N162 set is not a difficult task. The BB subjects are quite available. Harry Beecher** and "Buffalo Bill" Cody are tough
to find; but, most of the other athletes are not as tough to find. However, you will find the Billiard guys considerably tougher.

** Note…...Beecher was the star Quarterback for Yale (1884 - 1888). His coach, Walter Camp, is considered the "Father of American Football".
Camp modernized the game of Football at Yale to the game we know today. Prior to Camp's innovation of College Football, the game was being
played like Rugby.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Fred

Finally, the chess players!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Mike

My heart did skip a beat when I saw that Dunlap Detroit card. I always thought it didn't exist and then I see it, and now it was just a fake or a joke card. That's what I don't like about these "fantasy" cards, very confusing and misleading to old and new collectors. Glad Fred made it right on here. I could see someone putting a copy of this card on ebay someday and someone will be taken again.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:50 PM

Ted, thanks for posting these Goodwin Champions. In my opinion these are the nicest cards printed in that era. Great artwork and color, like the Rowell Pedestrian card.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM
pete ullman

my one and only!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600-2.jpg (69.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Goodwin cards

Well, if you can't show off your great looking vintage cards here then I don't know where you can!! Nice cards, Ted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
As usual, if it's a thread about N162 cards, then I show-off my GOODWIN CHAMPIONS Album (designated A36).

Since my High School days (late 1950's), I have been an avid Tennis fan. I still play a competitive 2-hour game
of singles every week. My favorite page in this colorful 12-page album is this pastoral Tennis scene.
The cover of the GOODWIN album is an absolute classic......lithographic art at it's best.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Previously noted here, collecting the N162 cards to complete the set is easier than other 19th Century sportscard sets. It can be quite expensive (depending on
the condition of the cards you prefer).

For the same cost of an Anson (or a Kelly), I suggest you consider acquiring the GOODWIN (A36) album. Beautifully illustrated, this Sports collectible is a great
19th Century treasure. Plus, you get all 50 images of the N162 subjects in one purchase.

And coincidently, as of today there are at least three A36 albums for sale on ebay.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 PM

Here's a few, its taken a while, and still 3 short of a full set
34 cards with the trademark clause

A few duplicates
Goodwin B set swaps.jpg

My A raw set, and a few duplicates
Goodwin Bset (2).jpg

Part graded set
Goodwin Graded 25 Cards.jpg
Old 02-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Well, if you can't show off your great looking vintage cards here then I don't know where you can!! Nice cards, Ted.
Thanks, Leon.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Searching

That is quite a collection, thanks for posting your N162 cards.

I like your style.....cards in plastic sheets in a binder.

Just like my N162's. I hope they are in a mylar type of plastic.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 02-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Ted Zanidakis

The only action pose of BB subjects is Jack Glasscock who is considered one of the finest Shortstops of the 19th Century.
Glasscock enjoyed a very long career in professional BB (1878 - 1901) which includes 6 years with Ed Barrow's Wheeling
team after he retired from the Majors.
1889 with the Indianapolis Hoosiers was his best year at bat...…
BA = .352
Hits = 205
Runs = 128
RBI = 85
HR = 7

TED Z

T206 Reference