NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Default Pick up threads question- ya'll make the call

Posted By: leon

With Bob starting the new pick up thread several days early I figure I will post a question. It really doesn't matter to me how long we do these for.

1. Should they be set at 2 weeks
2. Should they just go until any board member feels like starting another (again, I really don't care)
3. ??
4. Should the moderators keep a tighter hand on huge scans and ask they be redone? Anything over 1x unless its a very, very small card...ie tattoo orbit, Baguer Chocolate, etc....this could help the "load" time

Just trying to keep some order here as the last person to post a scan in the 2nd Nov. one probably didn't get his/her card looked at much....

Old 11-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Hey Leon, I think every two weeks is a good rule of thumb. Any longer and the page takes for ever to load. As far as who starts the new pick up thread I don't think it matters as long as there is only one and the date for the thread is always the same( November 1, November 15 )etc...

Old 11-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian E.

I like a set date, the first and 15th of the month. Internet connection speeds vary so obviously what is quick for some is very long for others. When I'm away from my cable connection and using a 32k dial-up, I do not touch the "recent pickup thread" regardless of how long it is.

My recommendation, more control on the size of the attachments. Also, it is not necessary to post a photo of every vintage card you purchase. If it is important to you or unique, post it. But if the card is a common and doesn't have much meaning to you, please don't post it.

Brian E.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Brian made a good point that maybe collectors should limit their posts to the special and unusual only- the kind of material that you only find once in a while and take great pride in the acquisition. You want to post something that other viewers will get a kick out of seeing. I think too many of the posts offer run-of-the-mill pickups and when they get too large I won't even bother opening it. This is from someone who doesn't post himself, but I do enjoy seeing scans of exotic material.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anonymousdave

Personally, I agree with Barry.
....however I also underrstand how a collector on a budget can be proud of a low grade card that may not be particularily rare and may have been a steal of a deal..

so..maybe if we re-start the pick-up thread every week we don't need to exclude anybody...

keep the current and previous week's thread pinned at the top of the posts too, perhaps.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

First and fifteenth of each month is fine. I jumped the gun a few days because the thread had become so long.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I wasn't suggesting posting should be an activity for only the elite. What I really meant was each of us make numerous purchases during the year; some are merely cards needed to finish sets, others are special within the context of one's collection. Whatever that collector feels is special to him should be shared with the board; I think that would at least make the thread a little more manageable for others. Each collector has his own definition of what distinguishes the wheat from the chaff.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I agree...I don't keep looking at the threads as they get too darn big and slow to download. I already gave some thought to every week...and just leave the previous.....it would be a little easier....we'll see how this goes...for the moment it's still 1st and 15th.....but again, around the 14th I won't be looking much.....As for commons being posted I will agree with Dave ( I think it was ) in that a $20 common might be as exciting as a $1000 rare card to some....so don't really want to say there is anything off limits....not that that was totally suggested....regards

Old 11-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I would like to see more control on the size of the scans. Some of them are way to big and a pain in the but to try and view b/c they are so large and it throws everything else off in that thread to where it become a nusance to view the cards.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

just really rare cards--what's really rare to me might not be to someone else, and v.v. I have no problems with "loading," and I think if I get a 9x12 card of a japanese slugger screaming, it should be at least 5x8. Of course we don't look at the same pictures over and over..toward the end of the 2 weeks, you skip to "bottom of the page," and work up till you hit something familiar.

But...I don't think I'll ever get tired of those E cards...I save the thread every day...

Old 11-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

well, what about starting new thread for pick ups every sunday? or every 25 posts? just number them pick up 1-25, or 26-50 etc....on every sunday post could just be december 4th pick ups, december 11th pick ups etc...

i would like to post my new pick ups but every time i get one the thread is about 60 or so responses...i want my card looked at, not ignored

my best pitch was the one that made it to the plate!

Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Another tip to keep the thread from getting real long is to post your scans side by side. This will minimize the up-down scrolling. The best thing you can do is make your post, click the "preview" button and if you have a lot of scans posted, created a break so that you don't have to scroll left to right. This won't speed up load times, but it will minimize the up-down length of the thread.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.