NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Kyle May

Default T206 AKA "The Monster" Collecting Advice

I was explaining to my good friend NJ Dunkin my collecting strategy for The Monster, and I explained it in a way that I feel should be shared with the rest of the board. Periodically since joining this forum, I've seen threads that ask for advice on how to approach the T206 set AKA THE MONSTER. I've seen people talk about how The Monster beat them, etc. Before I go on, I want everyone to know I am 100% against Participation Trophies. Now that that's been said, I should mention that my strategy is essentially full of participation trophies.

Also, I'm sure this isn't a "hot take" as they say in the sports reporting world, so I apologize if reading this wastes 5 minutes of your life. I just have not seen it explained like this.

The Participation Trophy Method

To start, make sure you do your research on the set. You don't need to be an expert, but grab a checklist of the backs, know their scarcity rankings, and other rare cards/variations.

The difference between my strategy, and that of a Little League giving little Jimmy who picked his nose in LF while watching the game winning hit go by him a trophy, is mine results in a greater accomplishment/goal.

Basically, it's a simple concept. Take a piece of paper and draw a line. This line can be curvy like the lady on your Swimsuit calendar that hangs on your Man Cave wall, or as straight as an arrow. On one end, put a starting line; on the other end, a finish line. The finish line is the 520/524 card set completion. Now, along the path, put tick marks (no, not the ticks you wish you were checking her for; if you don't get this, listen to Brad Paisley's Ticks). Give yourself enough room around these marks to write.

Start with the tick mark closest to the starting line, and write the answer to the following question...
What is your favorite MLB team?

The next line...
What is your favorite image pose/orientation - portrait, action, horizontal?

The following line...
Who are your Top 10 favorite players from this set?

You can go on and on with your own variations of questions regarding the set. So for example, in my case, my favorite MLB team is Cleveland. I'm currently 3 cards away from knocking out the Cleveland commons set. My favorite pose/orientation is the horizontal; once I complete the Cleveland commons subset, I will be moving onto the other horizontal cards. This is helping me stay focused, both financially and goal wise. The reason I call it the "Participation Trophy Method" is each tick mark is essentially a Participation Trophy. You'll get a sense of accomplishment, but you'll be hungry to attack the next tick mark/goal. This should help you stay engaged and before you know it, you'll have 1/4 of the entire set completed, then 1/3, then 1/2, then 2/3, then 3/4, then viola - you're done.

Hope this helps at least one person. Otherwise, I just wasted quite a bit of time at work typing this for nothing.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 02-20-2017, 03:51 PM
N
Banned

Couldn't have said it better myself. An excellent way to tackle the Monster without using too much energy or finances over a short period of time. Slow and steady wins the race, last I checked!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Archive

There is no wrong or right way to collect the Monster or any other set.

With that said, I wouldn't be too strict with the parameters of your strategy. Allow a little flex and don't pass on opportunities when they come along.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

That's essentially how I collected the set.

First, I've always been a HOF collector, so I started with all the hall of famers. Once I had all but the big-2 of them, I pretty much quit for a while.

After a few months to a year, I got bored, and decided to collect the NY Giants and Chicago Cubs. Then I started on the Brooklyn Superbas/Dodgers. After that, I went after the Highlanders/Yankees. Then I started on the tougher "rarities" I didn't already have. After that, I realized i might as well go for the set, so I went full bore. The one thing I did to make it a bit tougher, was to collect the Southern Leaguers with only Old Mill backs.

I still would like to get a Magie, and if I'm really lucky, a Plank, but I'm happy at 520 cards.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
That's essentially how I collected the set.

First, I've always been a HOF collector, so I started with all the hall of famers. Once I had all but the big-2 of them, I pretty much quit for a while.

After a few months to a year, I got bored, and decided to collect the NY Giants and Chicago Cubs. Then I started on the Brooklyn Superbas/Dodgers. After that, I went after the Highlanders/Yankees. Then I started on the tougher "rarities" I didn't already have. After that, I realized i might as well go for the set, so I went full bore. The one thing I did to make it a bit tougher, was to collect the Southern Leaguers with only Old Mill backs.

I still would like to get a Magie, and if I'm really lucky, a Plank, but I'm happy at 520 cards.

Steve
Bingo. And that's what this post is about: ways to not let The Monster defeat you.

And I'm considering the SLers with only Old Mill backs as well. We'll see when it's time to cross that bridge.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 02-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Introducing the Baby Chicken Monster theory

For me the Monster has actually been a little baby chicken pecking at me for my attention, saying 'hey there, you collect prewar cards, collect me'. That little chicken Monster was tough to avoid, always popping up and elbowing out other cards just as worthy as them. Many times I had to buy one just to stop the pecking for a little while. 35 years later I have over 500, and I swear I will keep swatting away and then submitting to their constant pecking until their goal of 518 for me is met.

So not much of a strategy. More like a defense mechanism.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 02-21-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 PM

Default T206

Ive been off the forum for some time, and over the years Ive (unsuccesfully! ) taken a few runs at the T206 set. First run I had 3 Ty Cobbs and a good batch of 250 or so Polar Bears and Sovereigns that I bought from Michigan area through the Trader Speaks magazine. I took another run at it 1998 or so when ebay first started and I had nice mix of rare backs, many brown and red hindus , lenox, uzit , lots of carolina brights, then I started on some Blacksox cards..lol,,, I like the catcher poses ,,,its endless,enjoy the pursuit.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I think if you just go for the 'Big Three' first, everything else will fall into place.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-03-2017, 04:26 AM

I started out collecting the Providence team, fully expecting to move on to another team. Then my collection went horizontal as I decided to collect different backs for Prov. After I finish getting the easier backs, I will probably have to move on to another team.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 03-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Paul

Default The Monster

I find it helps to remind myself that the Monster wants you to quit -- don't listen to it.

There is almost an expected "ease" of completion that removes the urgency to add to the set. Virtually every T206 card is available for purchase today on the BST, eBay, at auction houses, at a show, etc. And individually most do not cost that much. I think that plays into the Monster's efforts to discourage completion, i.e., "I can always click 'Buy It Now' tomorrow."

The OP's suggested plan is an excellent way to maintain focus and drive. Good luck to all the slayers out there in hobby land!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Except that the #1 reason for defeat is that collectors fail to realize it takes lots of money. At least $20K. You get halfway through the set spending $4K and then the prices start going up exponentially.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:15 PM

Default T206

No 1 reason for defeat is no woman will put up with it,,,lol. The set will take its toll one way or another. its not the 20K , its the cost for the divorce that'll kill ya.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_cobb View Post
No 1 reason for defeat is no woman will put up with it,,,lol. The set will take its toll one way or another. its not the 20K , its the cost for the divorce that'll kill ya.

Get a dog instead, but keep them on a high shelf - just in case...problem solved.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Kyle May

My fiancee is very supportive of my collecting (gives me crap sometimes, but all in good fun) and has even donated to my "sickness".

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC