NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Default Insurance

I really need some advice on putting my collection on our home owners insurance. 90% of my collection is complete sets from '74 - current. The other 10% is vintage cards (singles) that steal the show...as far as value. Our agent says to itemize everything...which would take forever. So, I am looking for the easiest and safest my to do this. Any POSITIVE advice will help.

Thanks

Pat
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Ken Wirt

I wanna hear people's advice on this too! So... bump!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Without a rider which can be expensive not sure collectibles are insured under your homeowners' policy. Consider a separate policy from someone like Association Insurance Administrators in Davidson, NC which will only require you to list individual items over a certain threshold.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Without a rider which can be expensive not sure collectibles are insured under your homeowners' policy. Consider a separate policy from someone like Association Insurance Administrators in Davidson, NC which will only require you to list individual items over a certain threshold.
Not sure about collectibles...my wife's jewlery is covered. Is that along the same lines?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Well you would have to read your policy and ask your agent, I am just saying generally, as I understand it, collectibles are only covered with a rider and it may be less expensive and more convenient to buy a separate policy than to purchase a rider.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Thanks. We have talked about it. He says give him a list and then shoots a price. What do I ask for? I know that my value won't be the same as his.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 PM
William Peebles

Try these guys. I'm pretty sure they were set up at the National. I got a quote through them a few years back, seemed reasonable to me. http://www.collectinsure.com/

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 PM
James Gallo

I think this has been covered many times in the past. The best place is

Collectibles Insurance Agency

http://www.collectinsure.com/cost.ht...FeJN5QodpxUjhw

Reasonable rates and you don't need to itemize anything under $5,000.

James G
Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks James

I know the topic has been brought up before...and I know it is usually followed by a website to check out. What I don't know is the best way to approach placing a value. Do you add everything up and insure one lump sum...or do insure different lots for different amounts? I would just like to hear how some of the other forum members handle this.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Pup6913

I use USAA for my homeowners insurance and they have gave me 100000 to cover my collection. They value it on Published guide prices. This is the only time I can say a beckett is worth it's weight in paper. Also it was easy to get it because of my registry and had most of my card scanned and documented.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
I use USAA for my homeowners insurance and they have gave me 100000 to cover my collection. They value it on Published guide prices. This is the only time I can say a beckett is worth it's weight in paper. Also it was easy to get it because of my registry and had most of my card scanned and documented.
Now we are talking. Although Beckett doesn't recognize graded cards...I like what you say.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Joe M.

Bury the cards in your backyard with your cash. 1 year cd's .65 %, hide everything no insurance. Obama savings.

Joe

Hey I'm 69 years old, maybe I'm numbed by the last few years of downturn.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 10-29-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Matt Hall

Maybe it may be worthwhile to look into simply insuring the really valuable vintage stuff. It may be easier to replace some of those modern sets versus paying to insuring them.

Insuring cards is a great idea because then you get to enjoy them at home rather than in a box at the bank. I'm interested to see what you find out.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Yeah, I have (2) complete Topps sets for every year from '74 - 2009. I keep one boxed and the other in a binder. 35 sets in binders took a ton of time. that is where the value (for me) comes into play. The vintage cards are in a safe.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Matt Hall

Even if you insure them all, they will just give you the money to start over. The painstaking time you took is irreplaceable. It sounds like you have alot of cards. I guess it is worth insuring.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Barry Arnold

Default insur.

i have my cards,packs with Collectibles Insurance co. and have found them to be top drawer!
i also like hearing peter s.' choice of the company in Davidson,NC for i believe strongly that all good things come from that wonderful college town!!!
best,
barry
Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWeso81 View Post
Now we are talking. Although Beckett doesn't recognize graded cards...I like what you say.
Sure they do. Its their graded card guide. For the card worth more than listed (not very often BTW) I provided prices from auctions, Ebay, and other sources for values. Worked great and was quite easy.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
Sure they do. Its their graded card guide. For the card worth more than listed (not very often BTW) I provided prices from auctions, Ebay, and other sources for values. Worked great and was quite easy.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my suggestion

My suggestion...

Scan them, put them on a nice, personal website, and then put them in a bank safe deposit box. It costs about $100 a yr. Works like a charm. If you ever get lonely you can always go visit them. regards
Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 AM
T!M R10rd@n

FYI . . .

Here's a previous discussion on insurance . . .

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122587

And one on a claim that was filed and paid . . .

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118262

As many here I use Collectibles Insurance Services, http://www.collectinsure.com/aboutUs.html

I did sign with them at The National, and it was pretty easy, and only requires itemization on items/sets, sets etc. that have a value in excess of $5K.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWeso81 View Post
Thanks James

I know the topic has been brought up before...and I know it is usually followed by a website to check out. What I don't know is the best way to approach placing a value. Do you add everything up and insure one lump sum...or do insure different lots for different amounts? I would just like to hear how some of the other forum members handle this.
Place realistic replacement value as that is what they will look at. Usually everything doesn't get damaged or stolen so they will only pay out on what is taken or damaged.

As stated yes one lump sum unless you have a single card worth more then $5000. Anything worth over $5000 has to be listed and if you sell it you need to let them know about it.

Honestly I have a few things that I should list but have not done so, I really need to do that this week especially considering I had some stuff taken recently :-(.

James G
Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 PM
James Gallo

Default One Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post

I really liked this mag and the prices were much better then SMR.

Your big problem is they don't make it anymore.

Beckett cut the mag but is supposed to add some level of graded card prices into the monthly I believe.

James G
Old 10-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Kevin Andrews

Default How Much???

I just started to look into this recently and got a price from the agent that we buy our home insurance from. They'll insure on an annual basis for $50 per $10,000 of value that I claim. How does this compare to what some of you are paying?
Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-baseball View Post
I just started to look into this recently and got a price from the agent that we buy our home insurance from. They'll insure on an annual basis for $50 per $10,000 of value that I claim. How does this compare to what some of you are paying?
Similar to Collectibles Insurance Services which is the company i use. I would trust them more than a regular insurance company that normally doesnt deal with specialized stuff like this in case of a claim.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 PM

Default New insurance info and update

GOOD NEWS FOR EVERYONE(like me!!)LOOKING FOR INSURANCE

One of our fellow net 54 vintage collectors (t206, t205, caramels etc) is one of the principal owners in a financial planning/investment/insurance company. Over the last few months, after researching the ciollectibles insurance market, he has been meeting with The Hartford Co. (Hartford, Ct) proposing that they open a new division insuring baseball cards etc.......the last meeting they gave a tutorial to Hartford on PSA,( SMR, the registry, explanation of pop reports etc) ebay, VCP to show how there can be a up to date price guide , Net 54(primary purpose was to show interest in pre-war cards, number of people participating and viewing threads etc) SGC for obvious reasons etc.......my understanding is that Hartford is VERY INTERESTED in insuring collectibles, but probably only graded cards to begin with.....I will probably be the second customer (he will be #1)

I will try and get some further information as to when this will be available, cost etc but I believe they will be tying this in with VCP/PSA in some ways(at least that is in their plans from what I have heard. I imagine many people may be pleased with their present insurance but I imagine is as reputable as they come( no, I don't own stock in Hartford)

bill latzko
Old 10-30-2010, 03:27 PM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forazzurri2axz View Post
GOOD NEWS FOR EVERYONE(like me!!)LOOKING FOR INSURANCE

One of our fellow net 54 vintage collectors (t206, t205, caramels etc) is one of the principal owners in a financial planning/investment/insurance company. Over the last few months, after researching the ciollectibles insurance market, he has been meeting with The Hartford Co. (Hartford, Ct) proposing that they open a new division insuring baseball cards etc.......the last meeting they gave a tutorial to Hartford on PSA,( SMR, the registry, explanation of pop reports etc) ebay, VCP to show how there can be a up to date price guide , Net 54(primary purpose was to show interest in pre-war cards, number of people participating and viewing threads etc) SGC for obvious reasons etc.......my understanding is that Hartford is VERY INTERESTED in insuring collectibles, but probably only graded cards to begin with.....I will probably be the second customer (he will be #1)

I will try and get some further information as to when this will be available, cost etc but I believe they will be tying this in with VCP/PSA in some ways(at least that is in their plans from what I have heard. I imagine many people may be pleased with their present insurance but I imagine is as reputable as they come( no, I don't own stock in Hartford)

bill latzko

Just to add to this that Collectibles insurance agency has been around for 50 years. There coverage is with Loyd's of London so it doesn't get much better then this. Plus you won't have any restrictions like only grade cards, not sure that would be too useful as I am sure many of us have some raw cards as well and it would not make sense to have one insurance for the graded and one for the raw.

Also as mentioned above I would not trust my typical home owners even with a rider I think they will give you a hard time if you have to file a large claim.

James G
Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
Place realistic replacement value as that is what they will look at. Usually everything doesn't get damaged or stolen so they will only pay out on what is taken or damaged.

As stated yes one lump sum unless you have a single card worth more then $5000. Anything worth over $5000 has to be listed and if you sell it you need to let them know about it.

Honestly I have a few things that I should list but have not done so, I really need to do that this week especially considering I had some stuff taken recently :-(.

James G
Perfect! Thanks James. This is the advice I was looking for.

Also, I did not know Beckett recognized graded cards. I use Beckett's website...Don't want to step on anyones toes here but NOT very user friendly. In fact...well PM me if you really want to hear my rant. Thanks for everyones input.