NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2010, 02:27 PM

"What keeps you collecting?"

Addiction is fun!

It's like a never ending journey. People ask me what the focus of my collection is and I answer there is no focus. I see something, I ask the price or I bid on it. If I lose, I lose. It is not the end of the world. Another card always comes up and another purchase is made or another pursuit begins. I subscribe to the motto of life in collecting that variety is the spice of life. It's always enjoyable.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:04 AM

It furthers my quest for knowledge.

I love baseball history and sports history in general and few things give you as much as a connection as a collectible from an era. Be it the 19th century, early 20th or even today.

Cards and collectibles also paint such an incredible picture of cultural periods. I love hitting up antique shops and just thumbing through early 20th century items. Be it cards, stamps, miniature flags, pictures, memos, you name it.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM

In relation to M's Fan comments that feels value of baseball cards(and other mem) will "go down in the long, long term as the collecting generation gets older and older each year". I had never thought of it that way.

Do most believe that the value of cards will go down in the long term? I thought(perhaps incorrectly) that they would go up in the long term as others began picking up the collecting desire. Especially, as new prewar collectors get interested the same way I did(and others).

I also assume as we get further from the 19th century that the value of these pre 1900 cards will rise further and further.

Any one feel similarly, or the opposite?

Frank
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Frank, I've never bought into the theory that once all the baby boomers retire or die, prewar card prices will plummet. As long as baseball is thriving and the population in the U.S. is growing (which is the case now and will continue to be the case into the future), new collectors will take the boomers place. I think it's as simple as that. The collecting gene is in all of us, it's what separates us from the aliens.

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 10-26-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post

If I had my choice...hmmmm....top row, right, maybe?

DanC
Well you're in luck Dan because she reentered the market -- last week her husband died of old age and her kids put her in the assisted living center over on 5th ave.

She's lonely and looking for love
Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
Frank, I've never bought into the theory that once all the baby boomers retire or die, prewar card prices will plummet. As long as baseball is thriving and the population in the U.S. is growing (which is the case now and will continue to be the case into the future), new collectors will take the boomers place. I think it's as simple as that. The collecting gene is in all of us, it's what separates us from the aliens.

Lovely Day...
I concur with Iggy. Granted that some sectors will fall out of favor and some will experience unexpected growth.

Baseball has so much history going for it that Football and Basketball, no matter how good their TV ratings are, will never be in Baseball's league, so to speak.

Historically speaking, photography, film, written word, and good old fashioned folklore will keep Baseball at the top of every want list for generations to come.

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Jackie have transcended almost all walks of American life and history will ensure their legacies continue onward.

But perhaps most importantly, Baseball is no longer just an American game. Asia and Latin America are only going to continue to grow in popularity. And just as American collectors fancy Japanese pottery or samurai swords, I can see Japanese Baseball fans someday striving to collect memorabilia, cards, or autographs of America's greatest players and teams.

The sky is not falling... That's how I see it, anyway.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Bilko Glasier

Default What keeps me collecting?

i keep telling myself that its a great investment
Old 10-27-2010, 02:57 AM
Matt Hall

I don't subscribe to the baby boomer theory either. I'm not a baby boomer. My father is and he has absolutely no interest in collecting. My grandma collects thimbles and spoons, that form of collecting may fizzle with their generation; Not sports cards (or comic books).

Kids still collect cards. When that stops, then maybe we might be looking at last generation (maybe).

What does pre-war baseball cards have to do with the baby boomer generation anyway?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 AM
Edward F.

Default because of....

The thrill of the chase, the sweet taste of victory, and the disappointment of defeat. Nothin' like it in this world! Also the history of the game. I believe someone else said this and I agree. Its fun to wonder where a certain card has been in its lifetime. Its funny though all the cards I get seem to find a home in Japan, taking a trip around the world to end up in my collection!

Last edited by T205; 10-27-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 AM

The love of the game and its rich history. I have been collecting on and off my whole life. Obviously, when I was a kid. Again in my late teens/early 20's. And now since 2004/2005 when I was in my mid-30's. I have taken breaks here and there, but I keep coming back. I have been collecting vintage for the last 5 or 6 years and it's like owning a piece of history. I love the game. I even play in a 35+ men's wood bat league and it's a blast. My 15 year-old daughter loves it too and I'm glad I can leave her something from a bond we shared after I'm gone in another 60 years.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
No wife to spend all my money.
Same here, although lately I've been trying to keep myself from spending all of my money...

Last edited by Doug; 10-27-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:15 PM
D.B. Cooper

I originally came to this site back in 2007 with every intention of selling off my entire collection. I hadn't so much as glanced at my cards in 7 years and figured the time had come to sell off what had primarily been a childhood obsession (with a couple years in my early 30's thrown in for good measure). Within 30 minutes I was hooked again. Not only did I not sell any cards, other than a few dupes, I've since added several hundred to my collection. It's like dropping Charlie Sheen into the middle of a hooker convention. I'm powerless to stop.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 10-27-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM
David Str@@te

Absolutely nothing to add to this thread that hasn't been said already, so I'll just say this is a really great read. Appreciate all the thoughts.

Alright, back to staring at my computer screen.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Val Kehl

What iggyman & Jimmy said + 1.

The only way I can see vintage bb cards going to heck value-wise is if baseball ever ceases to be a major sport.
Val
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Sam Lemoine

Default Why indeed?

This my first post here as I am fairly new to this forum, but not to cards. I think I have that collecting "bug". I collect a few different things, because I have that gene that can't allow me to stay focused on one thing for any length of time. But this is not such a bad thing, since it makes it fun for me whenever I rediscover the collections I've been ignoring. I'm currently working on a 1940 Play Ball baseball set and a 1955 Topps Baseball set. But I've collected comics, records, and football cards for years. When I get bored with the baseball sets, I will go back and work on one of the other things and have fun with those for awhile. When my co-workers ask me why I 'waste' money on cards, I merely tell them that this is what I do for fun. They buy booze, go to strip clubs, go out to eat at fancy restaurants, movies, etc... This is what I do. The difference is, I can usually get my money back from a vintage card after owning it for awhile. That money for the dinner is gone forever...

Sam
Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
R Dixon

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
This my first post here as I am fairly new to this forum, but not to cards. I think I have that collecting "bug". I collect a few different things, because I have that gene that can't allow me to stay focused on one thing for any length of time. But this is not such a bad thing, since it makes it fun for me whenever I rediscover the collections I've been ignoring. I'm currently working on a 1940 Play Ball baseball set and a 1955 Topps Baseball set. But I've collected comics, records, and football cards for years. When I get bored with the baseball sets, I will go back and work on one of the other things and have fun with those for awhile. When my co-workers ask me why I 'waste' money on cards, I merely tell them that this is what I do for fun. They buy booze, go to strip clubs, go out to eat at fancy restaurants, movies, etc... This is what I do. The difference is, I can usually get my money back from a vintage card after owning it for awhile. That money for the dinner is gone forever...

Sam

I like cards too, but somebody's got to help the girls get through college.