NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default T206 Help

I just got this card in today's mail. I won it off e-bay last week. Although I already had Sovereign 350 buyback of card, so it doesn't count towards my set. I thought miss cut was cool. I noticed when I got card, it has a small red mark (line) in white top border. It shows as black on scan but it is red. Is this a printers mark or something else. Sorry if it is just a printers mark, but I don't have another card with printer marks to compare it to... Thanks

Close Up

Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default probably

It is indicative of a printers mark...Probably hard to say for sure though...
Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Thanks Leon
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's really close to the design for an intentional printers mark. Usually those are kept in the part ofthe sheet that gets cut off.

There's lots of unintentional printers marks, and I'd figure it's one of those.
Pretty cool. I would think this card was from the top edge of the sheet.
Anyone else have that mark? There should be a few out there.

Steve B
Old 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Darn double post....May as well make something of it.

I find this sort of printers mark pretty interesting, I collect them when I can even on modern cards.
Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 09-16-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Changing double post mistake
Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Steve, Thanks for the help I will go with printer mark theory
Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Default t206 help

Ralph

Leon and steve are right...indicative of a printers mark, usually cut off by pressman and used to align sheets....these print marks show up in a variety of spots on the fronts and backs of some t206, different sizes....they are quite tuff imo, on the fronts they are usually brownish/black or the exact shade of the name font interesting how yours is redish, but possible...imo...your card noting the mark would put a premuim of 100 bucks or so...not sure about the buy back status tho...but a nice card and a keeper!!congrats!! when the show up on the backs of the cards(usually in a corner as an "L" shape and the same back color as the card), they are refered to as printers "crop" marks, where the printer prob aligned the sheets for cutting...i have "crop" marks on pieds, sweet caps, polar bear...so far...if your lucky you can find them scouring ebay fairly cheap, other rare times they are advertised as such and will sell for a premuim, since most where "cut off" and never made it onto an actual card, usually the miscuts show them...i will try to dig up a few scan, but my scans are aweful..

peace

johnny
Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 AM

Default t206 print marks

here is one phillipe similiar to yours in top border, also miscut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 171.jpg (75.3 KB, 201 views)
Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 AM

Default t206 print marks

the "crop marks" partial and full...please excuse the pics!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 170.jpg (73.5 KB, 199 views)
Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default T206 Help

Johnny, Thanks so much for taking the time to give me the info. I have a few other miss cuts but no marks on them. If i can get a pic with my digital camera that shows the red color of mark I post it later. This is why I love this board and the members there is a wealth of knowledge that no matter how long your into the hobby you can still learn something new every day... Thanks to all.......

PS Nice cards Johnny

Last edited by rp12367; 09-18-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Default t206 help

RALPH!
glad i could help!!and thanx about the cards i have a few more but can't find the pics...if i do i will post them...good luck if hunting others, lmk if u pick up any, i love to see them...there like a little treasure hunt

PEACE

Johnny
Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, so I just bumped an old one. I recently purchased this card from joesvintagesporstcards on eBay and from what I can tell and have read here, it appears to have a printer's mark similar to the OP's.

My question is, does the mark add any premium to the card? It's the first horizontal T206 that I've owned and I clicked the BIN immediately after I saw the printer's mark. Paid $70 which I think is pretty good.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Default Print marks

I am attaching some pictures generally explaining where in the process of printing the marks are from and why they are there. The demonstration pictures have cigar labels but the process was the same.

Essentially there was a sticking up sheet that each color transfer was aligned to, once aligned the marks were then removed then the sheet as a whole was transferred to the production plate. The Mullin card below shows that the registration marks from the pink color transfer was not removed or fully removed and then printed. In theory there should be other Mullin cards with the same pink registration mark from the same press run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page1.jpg (72.5 KB, 70 views)