NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Default turkey red?

I had been looking at turkey red cards and it seems to me that a card that's a sgc10 and a sgc30 look to be the same condition but have different grades does anyone know why?i had pulled them up sided by side and they should be the same grades. Is the reason why is the card in question a tougher card to get in a good grade if that's the reason they should say condition sensitive. Can you ask just to have your card authenticated and not have a grade? and if so can you send in a auth and get a grade given to it?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Pup6913

Yes you can request that your cards be slabbed as all Authentic if thats what you want. Yes some of those may be resubmitted and grades given due to the card actually having not been altered.

This would make a great betting poll. Send in 10 cards to SGC and PSA and have all A's given to them. Wait a few months and then resubmit them with another order. I wonder how many may stay as an Auth? Take bets on who gets the most right, or maybe a single cards grade given.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 PM

Default t3

great idea
Old 10-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Are you going by scans?

If so there's your problem and why you probably cant see the differences. there are nuances to grading that are extremelly hard to determine from a scan alone. A card really needs to be in hand to give a proper assessment of grade. Also many make the mistake of going 100% on eye appeal which is just one component of grading.

Last edited by glynparson; 10-24-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Matt Hall

Why would you want SGC to slab your card as Authentic? Whether it says poor or authentic, it is still the same card in the slab. If you decide to sell the card in the future, then you have to explain that the card is not altered, which my not be easy to get across. I think getting the card slabbed authentic may actually slightly drop the resale value a bit.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:48 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

There are differences to look for, some backs are dirty or have nicks unseen in scans from the front. Also, corners might not show wear on first look, but upon more examination you can see a small fold or so forth.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
This would make a great betting poll. Send in 10 cards to SGC and PSA and have all A's given to them. Wait a few months and then resubmit them with another order. I wonder how many may stay as an Auth? Take bets on who gets the most right, or maybe a single cards grade given.
If the card is already in an Auth slab, they'll only move it out if they can tell 100% that it should get a numeric grade, which is particularly difficult when you don't have a head on view of the edges due to the slab.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Dan McCarthy

I absolutely would not opt to give a card an "A" if it will grade -- the "A" typically signifies there is something wrong with it besides poor condition -- recolored, trimmed, etc. If you were ever going to sell your collection, cards graded a PSA 1 or SGC 10 would undoubtedly sell better than if they were in "A" slabs.

I think T3s are particularly difficult to grade because they are so much bigger than other tobacco issues -- any blemish is blown up 40x. It's also unfortunate that so many of the original owners liked to tack 'em up on the walls.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Ron Rice

Default Sgc t3

SGC seems to reduce the grades quite a bit for any paper loss or even an erased pencil mark that leaves an indentation. You might not be able to detect those flaws when looking at a scan. To me, once in a while, an SGC 10 looks better than a SGC 30.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The tack holes and unobtrusive mks are a great way to a get a presentable hi grade card for less money!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
SGC seems to reduce the grades quite a bit for any paper loss or even an erased pencil mark that leaves an indentation. You might not be able to detect those flaws when looking at a scan. To me, once in a while, an SGC 10 looks better than a SGC 30.
+1. More than once in a while.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 PM

Old 10-30-2010, 05:24 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT How is this a psa4? it has very rounded corners discolering around the border. How is that young a poor it looks like a 4-5 unless back damage.

Last edited by esd10; 10-30-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Pup6913

Looks to me like it would be an SGC 50 if it crossed. The link provided shows a PSA 4 Bergen
Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 AM

i messed up but what im saying that card from the scans does not deserve the grade it has recieved. i know they are big and a very sensitive card because of its size but come on if i where to send a t206 that looked like that it would get a 2 maybe a 3 tops. I think they should grade all cards the same. If they are giving these grades to the t3 why dont they have a different grading scale for the e107.