NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Default SGC question

Posted By: tbob

I was wondering if anyone knows SGC's current policy regarding grading trimmed cards as "authentic." For a while they would, then they wouldn't, I'm not sure what their policy is now. Do you have to specifically ask that a card be graded "authentic," (probably)? The reason I ask is that I have a handful of really nice 1909 Obaks which were handcut and that I'd like to have graded and slabbed as "authentic" since they wouldn't otherwise grade.
Thanks,
Bob

Old 11-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Default SGC question

Posted By: Bryan Long

If you call and ask them that will grade any card as authentic. I think.

My website: http://photobucket.com/albums/b45/trib01/
I am always looking for Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson cards.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default SGC question

Posted By: Josh K.

I believe that they will grade a card as authentic upon request. When I submitted the following, I simply wrote on the form to slab as authentic if the card was deemed trimmed (which I knew it to be).

Old 11-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default SGC question

Posted By: JudgeDred (Fred)

I spoke to someone at SGC and they indicated that if you want the card in an AUTHENTIC holder (if the card could not grade for a number of reasons) then make the request in writing on the submission form annotate it where it will be easily found when the submission is received.

I know there was a reason or two that would even prevent the card being placed in an AUTHENTIC holder, I just don't remember them.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Default SGC question

Posted By: John J. Grillo

About six months ago, I asked Sean this same question and was told they do not slab cards and label them authentic...I guess the policy has changed, which is cool with me as I have several Mayo Cut Plug boxers obviously trimmed which need a good home in an SGC slab...thanks for querying.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Default SGC question

Posted By: tbob

John- My experience is the same as yours. I taked to Sean (I believe it was him) at the National and he indicated that although they might change their policy, at that time SGC was not grading handcut 1909 Obaks, even when the cutting was done back near the turn of the century (although they do grade Zeenuts which have had their coupons ripped off the bottom, figure that one out). Since that was only about 4 months ago, I assumed they weren't grading them. I guess I'll go with GAI then...
Bob

Old 11-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Default SGC question

Posted By: pete

the one with the big paint spot on his head? i asked if they would slab it "authentic" and they did...in the same lot i sent in, i had a t206 that was trimmed (i didnt think so) but they sent it back "not holdered, trimmed" just call and see what they say, they told me to just include a note...cant hurt, and the call is free!