NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default glued paper on cards, how do u get it off????

Posted By: Bill

Hello,
i have alot of T-206's that have paper stuck to them with glue in the middle(from an album). I cant find 100% way to get it off. Some ppl say soak it in disstilled water, but wouldnt it damage the card???
I need some help on this one,
Thanks

Old 11-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It depends upon the glue used, which you don't know. Take the worst condition least valuable ones and experiment by soaking a couple of them. They would be your sacrificial lambs. If you ruin them, it won't matter. If it works, keep trying and do your most valuable ones last. If it doesn't work, you need to contact a conservator, and that could be expensive.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...about this, so I encourage you to utilize the search feature of this board to find some good ideas, but basically from my experience, I have had a lot of success removing stuff glued to the backs of T206 cards. Something about the way they are constructed means they will not be damaged after a good soaking (3-5 minutes, perhaps more), and a Q-tip lightly pressing on the paper/glue will remove many of the old water-based glues. I have had cards with glue/paper residue that I then submitted to SGC for grades as high as 70.

There are a couple of things to be cognizant of, however, including that all glue must be removed before pressing between two sheets of typing/computer paper under a stack of heavy books overnight. Any remaining glue will have become sticky again and will stick to whatever you use to press the card flat. You should indeed practice on the lower value ones and then work your way up.

As soon as it arrives in the mail, I will be trying to work some of this magic on this card:

Old 11-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I would add that rather than tearing each card off and trying to remove what remains on the card that you cut each card out of the scrapbook (assuming they are still attached) and soak the card with the piece of scrapbook attached - much less chance of damaging the card itself doing it this way.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Well, I picked the wrong card to have my worst experience removing paper from the back of a T206. The Cobb was booby trapped. It had remnants of another card, glued to looseleaf paper, glued to the back of the Cobb card and, here's the ultimate problem -- the Cobb had tremendous paper loss under it all, so it became impossible to decipher whether I was removing other T206 card, paper, or more Cobb back than was already missing. It was a mess -- scraps of paper everywhere. Oh god. Oh well. It's the worst experience I've ever had with paper removal. Ugh.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

oh that sucks, the front looks nice though. thats the problems with these old cards. u never know what can go wrong.
Will anything happen to a Caramel card if dipped in water for glue and paper removal?