NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Joe

Could use a little help from the Pennant Guys..

I just got in hand this Collegiate of Ames pennant. It's only the second time I have seen this Cornell version, so I'm pretty happy to get it. It's 28" without the tassels. Paid $56 on eBay, and took a bit of a flyer on it because the one picture offered was terrible and blurry and the seller wouldn't answer any questions. I could tell it had some issues and was wrinkled. Overall turns out to be quite good, but it's wrinkled and the Bears felt design is dry and stiff, making it difficult to completely flatten out.

Any suggestions on how to address the wrinkles and add a little suppleness to the stiff felt bear design? a light steam bath perhaps?

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg
Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Could use a little help from the Pennant Guys..

I just got in hand this Collegiate of Ames pennant. It's only the second time I have seen this Cornell version, so I'm pretty happy to get it. It's 28" without the tassels. Paid $56 on eBay, and took a bit of a flyer on it because the one picture offered was terrible and blurry and the seller wouldn't answer any questions. I could tell it had some issues and was wrinkled. Overall turns out to be quite good, but it's wrinkled and the Bears felt design is dry and stiff, making it difficult to completely flatten out.

Any suggestions on how to address the wrinkles and add a little suppleness to the stiff felt bear design? a light steam bath perhaps?
Love the pennant! Steam and/or ironing on "low" from the backside ought to flatten it out. I'm a little confused by what you mean by "the stiff felt bear design"....are the bears or "BEARS" lettering painted on or applied felt?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Joe

Thanks Rob. The Bears and all the lettering are applied felt. The felt on part of the male bear face is stiffed and cracked. Where there is a wrinkle running thru his face, I don't want press down too hard on the wrinkle and crack the felt further.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Rob

Joe - I often do things to pennants that no sane person would attempt. I've been lucky with getting good results and not exacerbating any problems. I don't own a steamer but that might be your best best. Straight water from a spray bottle might help the stiffness, too. Bottom line, I wouldn't be worried using any "water" method and/or an iron on low. Keep us posted!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Art Levenson

Thanks for the tips. If anyone is interested in that Cardinals pennant, I'll let it go for $30. I paid $40 so it's a good deal.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Joe - I often do things to pennants that no sane person would attempt. I've been lucky with getting good results and not exacerbating any problems. I don't own a steamer but that might be your best best. Straight water from a spray bottle might help the stiffness, too. Bottom line, I wouldn't be worried using any "water" method and/or an iron on low. Keep us posted!
Thanks Rob, that's what I was interested in hearing. I think I'll try a light mist from a spray bottle.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:14 PM
chris

Default Co-branded Pennants

Anyone have any co-branded pennants to share?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170207_171335.jpg (78.4 KB, 508 views)
Old 02-08-2017, 06:26 AM
Peter F

VERY cool Chris!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Anyone have any co-branded pennants to share?
Agree.... that's a gem, Chris!

Here are a couple more that the Reds put out... albeit not as early. I'm keeping the Burger Beer pennant, but Scooby Doo is for sale (it's going cheap, if anyone is interested).

Both are very seldom-seen...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reds Burger.jpg (72.0 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg Scooby.jpg (78.1 KB, 459 views)
Old 02-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey Joe,

I find if you put the pennant between two thick towels, you can go a little warmer with the Iron. This has worked for me for creases and folds on stiffer pennants.
Hope this helps.

Brent
Old 02-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Rob

Ok...For the ironing novices...Is a cool iron closer to the "cotton-linen" setting or "synthetic" setting???
Old 02-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Adam B

Default Ames Pennant

I agree with putting it between two towels at a higher setting. Also, if you have an inexpensive pennant to use as practice you may want to use it as a test. If too hot and ironing directly onto the pennant you can singe the back (I know from experience). I would not worry about getting every crease out of the pennant. I think its fine myself. Do the Ames Collegiate pennants fit into the hard plastic sleeves? If so I would think the sleeve will help flatten it out. Nice pennant. Good luck. Adam
Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Good advice! Practice on a cheapie first. And don't worry about getting every one of the wrinkles out.

I only iron the ones that are borderline eye-sores. Or ones in which the tip is curled like a pig's tail. If you can fit it into a pennant sleeve, that will indeed help flatten it more "naturally".
Old 02-17-2017, 03:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's one that is so very tempting, but I can't quite pull the trigger. Was hoping for free shipping, and he just won't bend off the $2.67...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-chic...sAAOSwx6pYps87

Oh well... for anyone intending to snipe, I am sorry if I outed this auction
Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Here's one that is so very tempting, but I can't quite pull the trigger. Was hoping for free shipping, and he just won't bend off the $2.67...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-chic...sAAOSwx6pYps87

Oh well... for anyone intending to snipe, I am sorry if I outed this auction
There's another auction going on right now for a '59 White Sox picture pennant, that's how it is described.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-VINTA...%257Ciid%253A1

It's been reposted a few times. Condition is iffy ... the picture is messed up and it's ... um ... missing the pennant.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's a crackup... wonder if it would even sell for five bucks?

But in the seller's defense, it is $4,850.00 less than the Cubs Mini Pennant. I suppose that makes it a bargain??
Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Rob

Default Cheapest way to ship a pennant

Hi all...I'm going to sell off a few low end baseball pennants and was wondering what I should expect to pay for shipping...assuming I use the standard "sandwiched between two long pieces of cardboard" approach. I buy a lot of pennants but haven't noticed a standard shipping charge...it typically ranges anywhere from $3 to $15. I'm going the "free shipping" route on these so want to choose the most economical method.

Do these have to be sent via Priority mail due to size/weight? The soft felt ones probably have more shipping options than the stiffer, newer ones.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It can be done for just under $10, as long as the flat box does not exceed 36" in length.

That's Priority Mail... it can be sent Parcel Post, but that typically saves you only 50 to 75 cents, depending on the destination. Usually better just to do Priority, as it gets there quicker with less transit time (thus less chance for damage). You also get Tracking, Delivery confirmation, and $50 automatic insurance. Worth the extra 75 cents, IMO.

Mine usually cost about $15 to ship, because I end up insuring the more expensive ones. But for the "cheapies" expect to pay just under $10.

Good luck!

Ps. Even the softer felt ones should be shipped flat. The graphics can crack if folded or bent too severely. I also use an inner plastic pennant sleeve, in case the box gets wet. That said, I hope some of those crappy ebay sellers are reading this!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-20-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Rob

Thanks Mark for the advice. I appreciate it as always.

Regarding crappy eBay sellers...I received a pennant shipped in a Honey Nut Cheerio's box last week. No lie. The box arrived in rough shape, but the pennant was more or less fine.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 PM

Here are some mini pennants, anyone know the year? I know sometime between 1957-1965. My parents just found them at their house and then I saw this thread.
Working on:
1954 Bowman 223/225
1955 Topps 205/206
Topps 1953,1957,1958, 1959

Website for Cards available for trades or needed for trades https://scottpt99extracards.weebly.com/
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 AM
Rob

Default Just curious...

I just picked up a lot of about 150 pennants. They were actually the product of 15 different auctions. The combined shipping charge on these is $58...vs the $12.95 each for the individual auctions. Seems kind of high but never rec;d or shipped that many pennants before. What do you think?

Also, does anyone know of a lighter yet more durable substitute for cardboard to use when shipping pennants? I rec'd a pennant a while back that was shipping in a hard white, yet very light type of "cardboard". Not sure what that's called but would like to find it and price it out.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Rob

150 pennants will be a sizeable box with some weight to it. Even with that, I doubt it will even cost half of $58, in reality. That said, it works out to less than 40 cents a pennant, so that's hard to beat.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I just picked up a lot of about 150 pennants. They were actually the product of 15 different auctions. The combined shipping charge on these is $58...vs the $12.95 each for the individual auctions. Seems kind of high but never rec;d or shipped that many pennants before. What do you think?

Also, does anyone know of a lighter yet more durable substitute for cardboard to use when shipping pennants? I rec'd a pennant a while back that was shipping in a hard white, yet very light type of "cardboard". Not sure what that's called but would like to find it and price it out.

Thanks!
I don't think you can expect to ship that many pennants for a whole lot less than that. It is not cheap anymore to ship a larger item. $12.95 is a lot for one pennant, but I would be just fine with $58 total. I send all mine flat by combining 2 Priority boxes together, but that's not cheap anymore either. Everyone wants their item to arrive in mint condition, but only wants to pay $3-4 for it and will complain either way. I ship everything Priority Mail and oftentimes lose money on shipping. Packaging supplies are not cheap either if you try to go first class. Good luck either way.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 AM
D@v3 W@u9h

Quote:
I rec'd a pennant a while back that was shipping in a hard white, yet very light type of "cardboard". Not sure what that's called but would like to find it and price it out.

Thanks!
Sounds like it could be foamcore which is not cheap. For full-sized pennants you're probably looking at about $3 per sheet. You can find it at craft stores like Michaels, office supply or art supply stores.
1971T NM+ 498/752 (66%)
1954B EXMT+ 82/225 (36%)
1968T NM 173/598 (29%)
1975T NMMT 186/660 (28%)
1969T NM 125/664 (19%)
1971OPC NM 108/752 (14%)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthegum View Post
Sounds like it could be foamcore which is not cheap. For full-sized pennants you're probably looking at about $3 per sheet. You can find it at craft stores like Michaels, office supply or art supply stores.
Agree... I thought the same (foam core) as soon as I read that. It is a nice alternative to cardboard, but it will cost you. That much foam core will cost as much or more than the shipping itself.

I bet that whoever sent it to you that way already had the foam core lying around, as opposed to purchasing it just for that purpose.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Rick Haskins

Quote:
Wondering if anyone has any information on this Steelers pennant? It's not particularly rare but it's curious to me because it has "Championship - American Conference" on it. The graphic is an old style and Egner's book places it in the 1950's. The Steelers were in the NFL's old American Conference from 1950-52 but never played in even a playoff game during this time. Conference's didnt have championship games back then anyway. They were just called playoffs with the championship pitting the winner from the respective conferences.

Of course, the Steelers played in many American Conference Championship games in the 70's but this pennant obviously isn't from that time period.

[IMG][/IMG]
After I posted this, I noticed it was mentioned already, but anyway,..

This is a pennant from the 1972 playoff game against the Dolphins.
I own both pennants; the Dolphin one is much rarer to find but has the same printing. Evidently the AdFlag company (out of Chicago at the time, now long extinct) made these with less attention to historical accruacy than to dramatic effects. Such were the times. The crackdown by the NFL and MLB on 'bootlegs' like these was making their days more and more numbered.

I would love to find any historical documentation on the AdFlag company. Anyone who has links to it from the internet, please share, anytime -

Last edited by ricardoh; 03-01-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Rob

Default Thanks

Thanks all for the responses. Great point regarding the $0.40 per pennant shipping cost.

Agreed...whatever I'd save in shipping cost would be eaten and then some buy the cost of the foam core. Guess I'll just stick to my current method of saving and re-using the cardboard from previously rec'd pennants.

But that just means I'll have to buy more pennants for my collection so I don't run out of shipping supplies.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Thanks all for the responses. Great point regarding the $0.40 per pennant shipping cost.

Agreed...whatever I'd save in shipping cost would be eaten and then some buy the cost of the foam core. Guess I'll just stick to my current method of saving and re-using the cardboard from previously rec'd pennants.

But that just means I'll have to buy more pennants for my collection so I don't run out of shipping supplies.
Hey, that's my method too!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoh View Post

i would love to find any historical documentation on the adflag company. Anyone who has links to it from the internet, please share, anytime -
+1

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 03-02-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Rob

Default A little venting...and question on value.

As I mentioned...Earlier this week I picked up 150 pennants via 15 auctions from the same seller. They sent the invoice and I paid. All seemed well. Then last night I received a message from the seller stating that due to an Ebay glitch, one of the auctions was listed twice, both ending at the same time...and of course...there were two different winners. Thus, they were refunding my payment for that lot. They provided the item number for the second listing so I checked it out and discovered I had the higher bid...and both auctions did end at the same time. So why would they give the lot to the under bidder? I've asked this question of them and so far no response. I also asked why they didn't refund some of the shipping cost (just because I was annoyed)...since they are sending me 11 fewer pennants.

This piqued my curiosity again so I started playing around with the shipping to get an idea of what the real cost would be. I assumed 30 pounds...which is probably way more than 150 pennants weighs...and 30x15x12 packaging...and via priority mail the cost would be $52. They charged me $58...close enough...however, they didn't ship priority. They shipped USPS Parcel Select, which from my googling is much cheaper...though I couldn't find pricing for it.

Anyway...Attached is the lot I'm not getting and I'm wondering what the value is on the New York Giants pennant? They're the most interesting pennants in this lot. My annoyance has started to subside, but the answer to this question may cause a relapse.

By the way...My winning bid was $26.

End of rant...

Old 03-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Rob

Hey Rob-

1) the whole double listing thing sounds a little fishy.

2) I think those two New York Giants pennent were the only pennants in that lot with a value of any more than maybe 5 bucks apiece. If the Giants pennants are real, they are Keezer pennants and very nice. I think they date to the 1950's (not earlier) and there are mini versions of the same. Getting two of them for $26 would have been a big time steal.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Rob

Easily $50 ea. pennants, IMO. Maybe/probably more.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those Giants are reprint pennants worth about $5
Old 03-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Those Giants are reprint pennants worth about $5
Yeah, looking at those again, they seem a little off.

I hope mine is not a reprint. I'm led to believe the SF is also a Keezer, based on the discussion that started on page 63 of this thread...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2812.jpg (73.0 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2823.jpg (75.2 KB, 376 views)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Also, despite what I mentioned earlier regarding being ok with $58, I think UPS parcel post would be much cheaper. I just made the comment because it was 150 pennants and figured you were working off of higher dollar amount pennants. I think given everything you have described, I would be a little salty too.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Rob

Give the the news, Jason. I can take it.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those are both real vintage pennants. The ones in the auction are made like the royal blue Brooklyn Dodgers ones that you oftentimes see being described as "authentic"
Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Rob

Thanks for that. My annoyance meter is now down to just three beers. I should be completely un-annoyed by about 7:00 pm tonight.

I'm guessing the tell tale sign that these are re-prints is the material from which they're made?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Rob

One more question...How widespread is the practice of reprinting old pennants? Why was this one in particular reprinted? It's not particularly breathtaking.

That's two questions...but don't hassle me. I'm annoyed.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Thanks for that. My annoyance meter is now down to just three beers. I should be completely un-annoyed by about 7:00 pm tonight.

I'm guessing the tell tale sign that these are re-prints is the material from which they're made?
That is a main factor. On these, I could immediately tell just by seeing the tips sticking out. They are made of the thin synthetic material that all post 70's pennants (for the most part) are made out of. If you are a pennant collector and dont want to spend $100-150, they are just fine. Collect what you like to collect. You may change your mind in the future and want to refine your collection, but the good news is you didn't pay too much for them.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Rob

None of these will go in my collection. I bought these strictly to resell.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:59 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Then you did well to lose that lot.

Minimal resale value there, and you were likely spared a decent amount of time and hassle... for very little (if any) payout.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:34 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

A while back, I posted a link to a White Sox picture pennant that was missing the pennant. Now we have this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1897.jpg (8.4 KB, 408 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
A while back, I posted a link to a White Sox picture pennant that was missing the pennant. Now we have this!
Buy both!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Mike Rozanc

Default Pirates pennants

Anyone know anything about these pennants. I see similar ones without the beat em bucs saying on them.

Any help would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pennant.jpg (20.6 KB, 392 views)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Rob

Default Any info

Anyone know anything about this pennant? Is it actually from 1973 or later production? I'd say it's made from the material of that time frame and not the cheaper see through stuff on the 80's and 90s.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Rob

Default I already know the answer to this one...but I'll ask anyway.

Real or reprint?

Old 03-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Rob

Default Some good news anyway...

I believe I did get two original Keezer Giants pennants. While several of the reprints were obvious...stiff as a board. Two were softer felt and limp as...while you fill in the punchline on that one. They were lighter orange as well. Here are some photos. Thoughts?

PS...The seller offered a 30 day money back guarantee and I will be exercising that option for about 100 of the pennants.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Rob

Quote:
I believe I did get two original Keezer Giants pennants. While several of the reprints were obvious...stiff as a board. Two were softer felt and limp as...while you fill in the punchline on that one. They were lighter orange as well. Here are some photos. Thoughts?

PS...The seller offered a 30 day money back guarantee and I will be exercising that option for about 100 of the pennants.

Not sure, Rob...something about those still looks a little off. Maybe the razor sharp edges? The tassels on my (presumably) authentic Keezer are much thicker than your average tassel (and black, as well). Just my 2 cents. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 AM
Rob

All of the reprints I received had black tassels. These were the only two with orange and they're made of softer, heavier material. The difference between the two is immediately obvious.