NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Brock

Default Serious

How can this bat be considered game used by Charlie? There nothing besides the autograph that connects it to him. So if I find a babe ruth signed 125 bat, does that mean its a babe ruth game used bat.

http://hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/s...=255&lotno=479
Old 10-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Graig Kreindler

Well, game-used or not, man, he had one beautiful signature. They don't sign 'em like that no mo'.

Graig
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
How can this bat be considered game used by Charlie? There nothing besides the autograph that connects it to him. So if I find a babe ruth signed 125 bat, does that mean its a babe ruth game used bat.

http://hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/s...=255&lotno=479
PSA/DNA says that the bat's weight and length match factory records for bats ordered for Charlie's personal use. This is usually considered to be solid grounds for putting it in the player's hands.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
PSA/DNA says that the bat's weight and length match factory records for bats ordered for Charlie's personal use. This is usually considered to be solid grounds for putting it in the player's hands.
Having said that, it isn't considered somewhat of a leap to call it "game used?"

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-10-2013, 10:02 PM

"PSA/DNA says that the bat's weight and length match factory records for bats ordered for Charlie's personal use. This is usually considered to be solid grounds for putting it in the player's hands."

Much more than that needed to put it in the player's hands...Not only needs to be ordered "for" Charlie, but ordered "by" Charlie...John Taube takes many factors in account to deem a bat game used, including player's ordering records, player characteristics, etc.

I have no problem with John's letter here.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 10-10-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:33 PM
J0n Fu.ld

There were and are literally many many hundreds/thousands of blank barrel 125s of such approximate length and weight. Are they all Gehringer game used bats? or just this one?

Gehringer died in 1993. The signature looks very recent, with a marker.

Gehringer did not play professional baseball when this bat was manufactured. The bat was manufactured between 1917 and 1921. Gehringer started playing in 1924. He was between 14 and 18 years old when this bat was made.

Last edited by BigJJ; 10-10-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJJ View Post
There were and are literally many many hundreds/thousands of blank barrel 125s of such approximate length and weight. Are they all Gehringer game used bats? or just this one?

Gehringer died in 1993. The signature looks very recent, with a marker.

Gehringer did not play professional baseball when this bat was manufactured. The bat was manufactured between 1917 and 1921. Gehringer started playing in 1924. He was between 14 and 18 years old when this bat was made.
I know NOTHING about bats but there are literally thousands of authentic Gehringer signatures signed in "marker." He was a prolific signer almost right up until he passed.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-11-2013, 03:14 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
"PSA/DNA says that the bat's weight and length match factory records for bats ordered for Charlie's personal use. This is usually considered to be solid grounds for putting it in the player's hands."

Much more than that needed to put it in the player's hands...Not only needs to be ordered "for" Charlie, but ordered "by" Charlie...John Taube takes many factors in account to deem a bat game used, including player's ordering records, player characteristics, etc.

I have no problem with John's letter here.
player characteristics???

How many players were in baseball during that time, you're telling me every single player had different player characteristics.. You don't think several would hold the bat the same, score the handle the same, etc. Pretty sad some person paid $2,300 for this bat.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:18 AM

Brock/guys- my apologies...i totally missed the fact that it was a blank barrel and that the dates of his career didn't line up here, sorry. i read the LOA fast and responded. interesting...
Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Did anyone here email John about it?
Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Brock

Just did Tim. But if there was more history behind it, I'd think it world be listed.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Brock

Here's johns comment.

We did that LOA years ago. There were a few of these bats, I believe they came from Gehringer
Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 AM

I will say this. John is top notch. he takes weeks and months sometimes to properly authentic bats, i've seen him in action, very impressive process. point being, i trust his opinion. i am sure there are multiple factors that lead him to write the LOA.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Brock

I'm not saying he isn't top notched.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree that John is top-notch.... However....

That LOA should definitely mention it, if indeed the Bats came directly from Gehringer. That's rather important provenance which would be paramount to anyone looking to re-sell.

If that info was contained in the LOA and/or H&S Description, I am guessing the Bat would have sold for double that amount (or more).
Old 10-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Mi.ke Huds*n

Brock, great post. I believe that the bar has been set pretty low for what is deemed a "game used" bat and this is a great example. Much more infomation should be provided in the LOA.

As a collector of Kren bats, I see this happen all the time. One of my favorites - $5K for a DiMaggio "Game Used Bat" - http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=55533 that was offered by Kren in their retail catalog. Just because a bat's length and weigh match a player's record, it does not automatically make it a gamer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KrenStyleBats.jpg (73.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Looks like a $100 bat to with a $2200 shaky story to me.

And what might Gehringer's "player use characteristics" and how is it different from any other player of that era? It's not like they were using tape, pine tar, and numbers on the knob of the bat like more modern players that actually do help pin point a bat to being used by said player.

And second, how did whomever determine what Gehringer's characteristics were in the first place? Not like there is an abundance of close up photos of Gehringer at bat, let along any photo of Gehringer at bat.

Not picking on John here. I know John is about as good of an authority there is on vintage bats. But as a non-bat collector looking in at vintage gamers, without direct provenance to me they are all a leap of faith.

If someone wants to take the time to educate me on the above two questions it would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:28 PM

Brock- didn't mean it that way.

Mike/Bryan- I know putting a bat in a player's hands is rather difficult, but the other very important thing John researches is if the player personally ordered that specific bat, he checks the manufacturers ordering records. I agree that it's not enough to say the bat is the right length and weight...John definitely takes it way beyond that.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default Player characteristic

As I understand it, Gehringer sometimes taped his bats in an unusual way, with a thin space between each spiral.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Mi.ke Huds*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Brock- didn't mean it that way.

Mike/Bryan- I know putting a bat in a player's hands is rather difficult, but the other very important thing John researches is if the player personally ordered that specific bat, he checks the manufacturers ordering records. I agree that it's not enough to say the bat is the right length and weight...John definitely takes it way beyond that.
I'm not saying that John isn't an excellent bat authenticator, but if he "takes it way beyond that", put it in the LOA. As for Kren bats, there are no known factory records.

Nobody has all the information and new things are being discovered. Mistakes can be made. It's healthy for the hobby to have these debates.