NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-29-2009, 08:28 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default Sports movie memorabilia

Let's see all your sports movie related stuff.

As an aside.. What is your favorite sports movie? Any sport.

I have 2 faves.
One is Pride of The Yankees. It's kind of an obvious choice for some one who collects Lou Gehrig.
Next favorite is kind of oddball. I love "Let it Ride". It's a horse racing movie from 1989. Richard Dreyfuss plays a chronic horse racing bettor who has the day of his life. It is very funny to those causal watchers, but hysterical to those in the know. If you are or know a hard core horse fan, you recognize every single character, their superstitions, and how they interrelate with friends and family. My dad was big into the horses and it really brings me back to some memorable days I spent as a kid at the Meadowlands, Yonkers Raceway, and Belmont Park.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097731/

Anyhow, here is some Pride of the Yanks stuff.
First is sheet music from the theme song.

Next are front and back scans from Japanese program dated 1949 when movie was released there. Entire book is in Japanese.

Newspaper supplement from Great Britain Nov 1942.

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-29-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added IMDB link
Old 08-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Sean Brennan

I love "let it Ride" as well! I met Richard Edson a few years ago at a party and told him that he is in two of the best sports movies ever: Let it ride and eight men out. he played Billy Maharg in 8 men out.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Max Weder

Script from Jackie Robinson story

Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Rick P

Default "Safe At Home" - 1962

Some movies are best seen when you are seven years old. When I saw this movie in the Vogue Theatre in 1962, I was mesmerized and truly believed I had seen the greatest movie ever made. As the kid in the movie said, "ROGER MA-RIS...MICKEY MAN-TLE...GOSH...GEE!" Oh, how I envied that kid (who was appropriately billed on the posters as "The Luckiest Kid in the World!")...

Roger signed this lobby card for me in 1982; the late Wanda Marcus persuaded Mickey to add his signature at the Arlington National in 1986. I didn't have the insert poster until after Roger's death.

We all have our most treasured items...the lobby card one of mine. Someday I hope to photoshop my own face over that goddamned Bryan Russell's, who continues to taunt me to this day...

Last edited by Oldtix; 08-30-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Default Roy Hobbs

My favorite sports movie memorabilia is a Roy Hobbs card from the movie "The Natural" that I got Robert Redford to sign. I wish he would have added "Roy Hobbs" under the signature but it is still a pretty neat little piece.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 PM

No pictures anymore, but I had Mannie Seamon's script and first edition copy of the book to the Joe Louis Story each both signed by Seamon and Louis. Seamon was Louis' trainer and advisor to the movie. Both also had Seamon's notes throughout. Seamon's notes dipsuted some of the facts in the book. Seamon is a character in the movie. I also had Seamon's cast photo signed by the actors, Seamon and Louis (who was in the photo). All this came from Seamon's estate auction.

Another interesting lot were 1950 English World Cup Soccer uniforms (jersey with the Lion and roses shield, shorts and super cool high top leather shoes) from a modern movie about the World Cup. They were modern retro. An English Pub owner bought them (reason why to allow international bids on eBay). I bought them directly by the movie studio, so they had LOAs from the Studio. I would have kept one of the jerseys to wear, but they weren't my size. Duly note not that in England they call jerseys kits.

I'm not ordinarily a fan of sports movies (as they often aren't good), but Raging Bull and 2001 are my favorite movies, so that answers that. Raging Bull is about a boxer but really isn't a sports movie.

Last edited by drc; 08-30-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Default More terrific pieces from Rick (oldtix) as usual.

A few of my pieces from Babe's first movie...

speedyhandbilloutside.jpg

speedyhandbillinside.jpg

speedyphoto.jpg
Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Rick P

Default Jimmy thrusts; I parry...

Speedy is a great little movie...you can sometimes catch it on TCM. The Babe's part is very small, but he really demonstrates a natural ability to ham it up as Harold Lloyd drives him to Yankee Stadium at breakneck speed. It's a thoroughly enjoyable film and there is at least one lobbycard that pictures the Bambino.

This is the only one of the photo plates that pictures Ruth in the Photoplay edition of the book, published in 1928.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here is Tom Mix playing for his own baseball team in a Hollywood industry recreational league.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I have had the photo scanned below for a few months but I have no idea what it depicts. I assume it is a movie publicity photo as it has a stamp on the back that reads, "Photo by Ernest a Bachrach Radio Pictures Copyright 1942 RKO Radio Pictures Inc.". On the front in white it says, "LD - Adv - 48"
Could anyone tell me what movie (or show) it is from and who it depicts? Unfortunately, I have not watched very many old baseball movies. I hope it is germaine to this thread.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July 3, 2009 (11).jpg (67.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 08-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Rick P

The film is the 1943 RKO release LADIES DAY, starring Lupe Velez (pictured). She was best known as the star of the "Mexican Spitfire" series. Her costar in the film was Eddie Albert, who we remember today for TV's "Green Acres". The plot centers on the efforts of Sox pitcher Albert's teammates to break up his romantic relationship with Velez, because he plays poorly when he's in love.

The guy in the photo is Max Baer...yes, Jethro's dad...the former heavyweight champion of the world! He played the catcher for Albert and got fourth billing in the film.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:45 PM

1. Original Type 1 of Ruth on the set of "The Babe Comes Home".

2. The Natural memorabilia:
  • Away Jersey
  • Ball and Strike Counter
  • Set of Hobbs cards
  • The ball used in the final homerun scene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth_movie.jpg (35.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg natural.jpg (67.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Wow Jacksons! Your "Natural" collection is incredible!!

Well The Natural makes my list as well as The Pride of the Yankees, Field of Dreams, Major League, Miracle, Hoosiers, and the original Longest Yard.

BTW...Great Thread!

Last edited by thekingofclout; 08-31-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Alan Elefson

Thanks Rick! I really appreciate the information! Thanks also to everyone who posted. The items shown here are fantastic!
Alan
Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Scott S

My Pedro Cerrano uniform from the filming of Major League II.....

Last edited by scooter729; 09-01-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:30 AM

Default Sweet Jersey Scott!

The Pride of the Yankees...

742.jpg

743.jpg

744.jpg