NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-28-2012, 12:35 AM
David Linardy

Default Very Cool Cobb Auto'ed Peice on Ebay.

Interesting story, Check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ty-Cobb-Arre...item3a6f8db35e
Old 01-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Scott

thx for posting that. it really is a cool piece
Old 01-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Very cool Dave!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Craig

Isn't it government property?
I doubt he has clear title to the piece similar to the NASA going after the astronauts auctioning memorabilia
Old 01-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Bruce Esser

I don't think it is government property. It was the part of the receipt given to Cobb. IMHO it would be Cobb's property at that time. According to the story Cobb threw the receipt at the sheriff, the sheriff retrieved and put it in his collection.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 01-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonbb View Post
I don't think it is government property. It was the part of the receipt given to Cobb. IMHO it would be Cobb's property at that time. According to the story Cobb threw the receipt at the sheriff, the sheriff retrieved and put it in his collection.
But why would they have Cobb sign a receipt and then give it to him. I would figure they would keep it to prove once he signed he received his property back. Just a thought.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
But why would they have Cobb sign a receipt and then give it to him. I would figure they would keep it to prove once he signed he received his property back. Just a thought.

yeah that is weird. why would they have him sign and give it back to him?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Clint

Maybe they had a carbon copy underneath.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Al

Default cobb

That Clint always thinking! Looks like a nice piece to me. Thanks for the post Dave.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Too early in the morning, hadn't thought of that
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
I could be wrong, but in every case where I've signed a carbon copy form, the carbon copy was the one I got, with the original being retained by whoever was shoving the form in my face. That being said, I've never been arrested or had to sign anything for a prison, so I have no idea what their procedures are. Seems more like a case of an official making a souvenir out of a form that he knew nobody would ever come looking for and would eventually be discarded after a time period along with all the others anyway.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Cobb was probably supposed to sign it and leave it in the ledger. It appears he tore it out in anger.

By the way, it's horrible what NASA/the government is doing to its astronauts. They were allowed to keep mementos from the journeys... the government scrapped this stuff anyway. Now, 40 years later when there is a huge collectors market, suddenly NASA wants its stuff back.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Cobb was probably supposed to sign it and leave it in the ledger. It appears he tore it out in anger.

By the way, it's horrible what NASA/the government is doing to its astronauts. They were allowed to keep mementos from the journeys... the government scrapped this stuff anyway. Now, 40 years later when there is a huge collectors market, suddenly NASA wants its stuff back.
I could say something about moon colonies and the need for the money, but I know we are not supposed to get political
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:

i did think that, but i thought they would keep the original and give him the copy? Who knows...
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 PM

did someone on here get it?

all i know is i emailed them about being willing to listen to an offer on it, never heard back, look back now and see its sold i thought it was interesting enough to take a whirl on - but was hoping to do so at a bit under the asking price....
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Love the banter about this item . . .

. . . but am I the only just alittle suspicious about the questionable nature of the item (original signed copy instead of carbon copy) and that the seller has a feedback total = 1?

I realize that there are many new sellers posting to ebay every day, but I've always have found the combination of a top notch (and relatively expensive) collectible and recently new seller a red flag situation. Very possible I've missed some great additions because of this caution, but also possible I've missed out on being scammed too. Especially in view of the concern some Net54 members have voiced about the questionable authenticity of offered autographs in general.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 01-29-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 AM

I would also be very suspicious about this auction. The eBay listing did not have the best photos, none of which showed a close up photo of the signature. Add to this the fact that Cobb was supposedly pissed off when signing his name, which could make the signature irregular and difficult to authenticate. I guess the accompanying newspaper clippings added some "provenance" or eased the buyer's doubts. Also on the list of positives, the seller was based in Placerville, CA. If I was on the search for a Cobb auto, I would've passed on this one despite the cool story.

I grabbed the image from ebay, enlarged it a bit, and added some contrast....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg possible Cobb sig.jpg (39.2 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by CW; 01-29-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

how about the date on the item, receipt shows 193*, then they fill in 47......I could see some overflow into 1940 or 41, but you'd think by '47 they would have purchased some up to date receipts.

But yah I'm probably reaching.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Also on the list of positives, the seller was based in Placerville, Ca.
I can make an eBay user I'd and say the North Poleandit would appear that is where I'm from
Old 01-29-2012, 12:26 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Why is there no concern that the entire thing, including the part that would've been filled out by the officer, seems to be written by the same hand? The Cobb written stuff(especially the date) appears to be in the exact same writing, only done a little more harshly..

Last edited by novakjr; 01-29-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
jim quinlisk

It looks like the police (who were probably familiar with the form since it was at least 7 years old) forgot where to have Cobb sign. The prisoner was supposed to sign on the left confirming the items the police had taken from him.

Also kind of odd that he would have $345 in cash and $5.81 in SILVER. $5.80 is a heavy pile of change to have in your pocket, and how the heck did he have a silver penny?

I think somebody got scammed.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Also, why would it have taken the PD more than 7 years to get new forms? Only guessing here based on the printed year on the form being 193_. I guess it's possible, that they would've just used 'em 'til they ran out though..
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq View Post
and how the heck did he have a silver penny?
Silver was just a generic term back then for loose change. My dad used to say it all the time and he was from that era.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default . . . as for the silver penny . . .

. . . in 1943, pennies were made from zinc (therefore silver in appearance) because of the high demand for use of copper and bronze for the war effort. Now days, some of those 1943 pennies are black (or nearly so) from oxidizing over the past 68+ years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1943 Zinc penny.jpg (19.5 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 01-30-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Steve Zarelli

I think some folks are overanalyzing a bit.

If that is a forgery, wouldn't a forger that good use some other far more profitable medium to ply his trade? Maybe like a ball or a photo?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I think some folks are overanalyzing a bit.

If that is a forgery, wouldn't a forger that good use some other far more profitable medium to ply his trade? Maybe like a ball or a photo?
Not if he already had a "period" item to work with. Especially one that would have some back-story to it..
Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 03:19 PM. Reason: edited to clarify what I wrote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
The whole top part would have been written by the officer and the few words that would have been written by Cobb at the bottom don't look like the same handwriting to me.
Look at the two July's...They look like the same letter formations, only the "Cobb" one is a little more rushed looking....
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

According to the Ken Burns documentary, Cobb used to always travel with a paper bag full of cash and bonds. Also a bottle of milk and a flask of bourbon? I think.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Look at the two July's...They look like the same letter formations, only the "Cobb" one is a little more rushed looking....
You're right. I was mostly looking at the Js which look different but the rest looks the same. It may be that the officer wrote everything except for Cobb's signature or it could just be a fraud.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
You're right. I was mostly looking at the Js which look different but the rest looks the same. It may be that the officer wrote everything except for Cobb's signature or it could just be a fraud.
Yeah, I'm not saying it's definitely fake, but I do have my concerns..