NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2006, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Tom Botticelli

Any thoughts?

Old 11-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Jim Manos

If it doesn't work in the court room. Hire others to take care of these scum bags...your name ends in a vowel...

Old 11-08-2006, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Nice! A racist comment and a suggestion to commit a crime all in one post! Good work, Jim!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Jim, my name ends in a vowel, too. Precisely what are you implying with your comment? Would you be so kind as to elaborate? I would love to understand what this means.

Tom, sorry to hear you got stiffed, but I'm glad the bad guys are going to get what they deserve.

-Al

Old 11-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I'm not coming to the defense of Jim but perhaps he forgot to put a smiley face at the end of the post.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

It wouldn't have been funny with a smiley either.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

This scam isn't exactly a new one. I can remember about 5 or 6 years ago that someone was doing something similar on ebay. The big difference was that people weren't getting the item pictured in the item description. It would take weeks and sometimes months for people to get their materila. Ebay booted them and a lot of people got together and brought a law suit against them. The result was that they were not suppposed to engage in internet commerce. I don't recall what the total losses were but I'm pretty sure that people didn't get what they were expecting.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Peter,

Perhaps there are a lot of people on board that have no sense of humor but I can't imagine that everyone on this board would take the comment that seriously. Have you ever watched the Sapranos? I think a lot of people like the show and those people may have got the main jest of the post. Do we really need to have another thread like this.

Lets get back to the main theme of the post. Tom was warning eveyone about this person and hopefully there may be others that can assist in getting this garbage prosecuted. The unfortunate part is that if there are others then those people have more than likely also suffered losses.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Fred, you're dreaming if you think Jim was making a joke.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I took offense to it, joke or not. That crap's not funny. If we're supposed to start taking our cues from what's acceptable to say in public from TV shows and movies, we're all in big trouble. This is a baseball card message board, Tom created a thread with some useful information in it, and I didn't expect it to be followed by an inane blanket statement about people that I share my heritage with.

I have a fine sense of humor, and nobody's ever accused me of being thin-skinned. That doesn't mean I have to read a post that takes an ill-informed jab at my heritage and say "Oh, that's supposed to be funny, and I'm supposed to laugh" and shrug it off. I would expect a similar reaction if the "humor" took a jab at any other group, too, regardless of whether or not their heritage has been immortalized in a television program.

-Al

Old 11-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Dan Bretta

As an American of Italian descent myself I took no offense to Jim's statement. And my family actively tried to rid Boston of organized crime in the 1950s and 60s. He made a sterotypical statement trying to be funny....it's not really funny, but it also isn't worth ruining my day. I have friends who have made the same type of comments to me. I guess I'm just not sensitive to it.

edited spelling.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: anthony

leon, should we have the tobacco card "hindu" stopped being used in threads and the b/s/t because there might be someone who practices or has converted to hinduism reading that might be offended??

jim, my guess is that you'll be asked to apologize sometime soon but not from me, i personally thought it was funny and my name ends in a vowel as well...i guess there are still people who live under rocks

Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Anthony, please tell me that you can appreciate the difference between your example and what Jim wrote.

If not, perhaps you could apply to the Dodgers for the GM position. I understand Al Campanis has been let go for making jokes.

And finally, my name does not end in a vowel but you don't have to be of a certain descent or race to be able to appreciate a slur. It's simply wrong, plain and simple. And as Jim also knows, he was making no joke - so how can there be humor inferred when none was intended?

Old 11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: barry arnold

Tom,

You're a prince of a fella to take the time to warn us of this
horrific scam as you deal with the repercussions yourself.
I do hope that you are able to get your money back.
It's good to see that a number from this board were helpful to you
as you ascertained the best steps to take to deal with this situation.

all the best, Tom

Barry

Old 11-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Tom, thanks for the post, and best of luck with the case.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: John S

Hey Jim,

My last name ends in a vowel...in fact I am Sicilian. I laughed when I read your post. I will assume that you are Greek. I'm not even going to go there.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Steve M.

at least not from behind.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Bob

Tom- As one of the nicest guys I have "met" in cyberspace, I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed for you. I recently read an article which said that for some reason almost 90% of the scams and fraudulent transactions which take place on the internet in the sports card area all derive from the state of Ohio. I found this to be very interesting as I would have assumed the majority would have come from the west coast or the northeast, not good old middle America. Is there something in the water there???
tbob
P.S. My last name ends in a vowel too. No French jokes

Old 11-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: John S

TBob I must agree with your assessment of Tom. I have done transactions with him in the past. A total class act. Sorry Tom to hear about your misfortune and hopefully you will be able to recover some or losses (my car was robbed once, culprits were nabbed but my personal belonging were never recovered. Two years later I received a check in the mail from the state equal to the value of my items. I guess they make the scumbags work in prison and once they earn enough they compensate you directly)

Old 11-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Mark

You'd think they'd be able to charge less than 10 x fmv if they're sending empty bioxes. Good luck, Tom.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: steve f

Yea, cut the paisanos some slack... There's only one real heavy. (My surname ends in a vowel.) Tom, good luck in with your case.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Steve M.

a vowel?

Old 11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: warshawlaw

Don't forget Meyer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Arthur Flegenheimer (Dutch Schultz), Lepke Buchalter (Murder, Inc.), Mickey Cohen. The Kosher Nostra wasn't exactly chopped liver.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: howard

I'll put the Purple Gang up against the Cosa Nostra any day!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: JKD

Prize Sports has some of the rarest cards in the industry!We have been dealing with their extraordinary customer service for years & have NEVER had any problems. NICE TRY JERKOFF!!!!ARE YOU MAFIA BY CHANCE??WE WILL GLADLY SPEAK UP ON THEIR BEHALF.YOU APPARENTLY HAVE YOUR PROBLEMS INDEED! WE RECOMMEND YOU SEE A SHRINK BEFORE YOU FALL OFF THE DEEP END!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Jeff Drum

According to both "Fraggle" and "Scholastic" Rock, the vowels are a,e,i,o,u,and "sometimes" y!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: warshawlaw

JKD

Old 11-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: GTR

WHAT DOES A HIGH SCHOOL JANITOR(TOM) KNOW ABOUT THE SPORTSCARD INDUSTRY ANYWAY?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: canjond

Call me crazy but I would assume your log in-name is libelous (sp?)

Old 11-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

This is hilarious. On the off chance that every single thing that Tom said was false, would anyone here actually spend a penny on this site now? Unreal. We've clearly cornered the biggest idiots on the internet on this single thread.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: ScottIngold

Jeff,

Notice the last three posts are all in CAPS. I THINK WE CORNERED THE MARKET ON JUST ONE BIG IDIOT.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Ricky Y

I feel left out...I'm Japanese so don't forget us Yakuzas ...seriously though glad to hear someone is being proactive to go after these criminals. Good luck Tom!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

are you implying that im unemployed? should i be offended by this comment?

no, first off im far from unemployed. im 100% sicilian and do i have ties to the mafia? maybe i do and maybe i dont but you'll never know unless you imply that all italians have ties...it was a joke, maybe not the funniest but still a joke and if you cant see that, then too bad, get over it...unless you want to fight jim over it...

my understanding is that this board is designed for 99% vintage card chatting/selling and 1% b.s-ing...because if it were 100% vintage card chatting, im sure it could get boring at times.

so chaulk up the hundreds of italian, jewish, japanese, black, mexican, gay, lawyer, women, janitor, homeless, married, divorced, young, old, retired, retarded, liar, sneaky, short, ugly, rich, poor and every other comment made on this board thats not vintage card related to that 1%

whether the story is true or not, we as collectors should take it as a reminder that there are a lot of dishonest people out there

Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Anthony, I have not a clue what you are talking about.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

pleading the 5th, huh?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

No, if I were to plead the Fifth I would say that. I simply am mystified by your words. Thanks for the tip on the mafia, however. I learn so many things by just poking around on the internet.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: ScottIngold

Hey Jeff,

If i recall you have defended some of which Anthony might or might not be related to.

Sorry .... couldn't help myself.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Rhys

Anthony, I dont see anywhere that Jeff said anything about you and I think maybe you are getting his comments confused or something.

I dont want to get involved in this mafia stuff, but as a humorous side not, one time my Mom was offered a free hit from Laotian refugees in about 1981. We got pretty close to lots of families from that area since our family sponsored over 1000 people into the United States from Loas after the Vietnam War, and one time my Mom was told that if she ever had anyone she wanted "taken care of", there would be no charge for all she had done for this one family. I think that was the last time we went over there.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Anonymous

Will these Loatian thugs travel to Ohio ?

Old 11-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

"In the event of a cancellation when items have been custom ordered,a full refund less a 25% handling fee will apply."

What do they mean by "custom ordered?"

I would like a T207 Cobb portrait with mayo on the side, no onions, and a T205 Mickey Mantle with a schmeer. And a rootbeer. To go.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: ramram

My goodness, are we all so politically correct around here that we can't joke amongst eachother. Maybe not the best of taste but I can't imagine it's over the top. If so, please don't ever turn on a sitcom, watch a comedian or listen in on your best friend when he's telling his favorite jokes.

Rob M.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: barrysloate

WST- I'm not the board moderator and I have no idea who you are, but your log in name is inappropriate and my guess is you will be gone very soon.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Anonymous

With those prices listed i couldnt imagine many buyers...

Old 11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: leon

Yes, WST is gone....and I had to delete that post too...it was inappropriate

Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: joe brennan

My goodness, are we all so politically correct around here that we can't joke amongst eachother. Maybe not the best of taste but I can't imagine it's over the top. If so, please don't ever turn on a sitcom, watch a comedian or listen in on your best friend when he's telling his favorite jokes.

Rob M.

I am of Italian decent and found the comment easy to live with. This politically correctness bull**** gets old real fast. Can't say **** anymore with out someone jumpimg on the politically correct band wagon. I've heard all the italian and irish negative comments and am hardly offended by a commnt made in gest. I'm also a yankee living in Texas and have heard every yankee comment and taken them in stride. The people that find that comment offensive, especially here, where it was said aside should take it with a grain of salt.
Just let it go.

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: davidcycleback

My uncle was Norwegian American, and spoke with a Norwegian accent all his life. He owned several volumes of Norwegian jokes, and regularly told Norgwegian jokes. Whether or not he would be offended if a Swede or German told a Norwegian joke I don't know, but most Norwegian Americans I've known have told Norwegian jokes. Perhaps a prerequisite for joking against others is joking against oneself. Interestingly, I don't remember my Uncle ever saying saying a joke against other nationalities or kinds, even when only fellow Norwegians were present.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: barrysloate

What you are all leaving out of the equation is how different people react to ethnic jokes. Some take no offense at all, others may be deeply hurt. Why even bother taking that chance? Two friends can tell each other all the off color jokes they want; I know plenty myself. But when you put one in writing on a chatboard viewed by a thousand people, not everyone might find it amusing.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Thanks, Barry, for speaking like an adult. I'm not Italian but I can recognize when someone might be offended and reacted accordingly. By the way, we're still waiting for Jim to come back out here and claim he was even making a joke - which Jim knows full well he was not.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

As one of those name-ending with a vowel guys, I was not offended by what I thought was a rather tepid ethnic joke, but Jeff's point is not to be ignored: Why hasn't Jim explained himself? Maybe it wasn't a joke?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default Prize Sports

Posted By: Jim Manos

I am sorry never checked this post since. I am sorry, in know way shape or form was that meant to be racist. My wife is Italian and I am Greek. I am so sorry if anyone took that the wrong way. Please I may be a jerk at times yes but racist I am not. SORRY

PS Jeff, Al, Peter, anyone else, I truely meant no harm I am sorry it was totally inappropriate.