NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Ron V

Default Boxing Forum?

I know this is a baseball forum but does anybody know if there is a boxing forum out there? Thanks everyone for any info!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Just in the postwar cards section. It seems to be a catch all for memorabilia too, but doesn't get too much play.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Ron V

Thanks Jason appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

My bad. I just visited that area, and there actually has been some discussion. Very surprising - I posted over in that sub-forum a few times over the last three years and saw very little response. Good to see it's picked up a little.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-18-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Jimmy

I always forget that section is there for cards, but if you ever have any questions about boxing you can ask some questions here - most people tend to look here for all types of Memorabilia

unless this section is really just for baseball

Jimmy
Old 11-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

I've posted some very interesting boxing items here, and there has been no response whatsoever. Boxing items have been purely show-and-tell in this forum. As a result, I no longer post mine.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:09 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I love boxing but I forget to check the forum section.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I try to post my boxing stuff there and occasionally here if it seems to be of potential general interest.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Jimmy

Default Boxing Forum?

I think what happens is that most collectors think this section is for baseball, so everything gets lost over time. I always love talking boxing and it has great history just like baseball, so there are some nice items in the hobby that come around

Jimmy
Old 11-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Ron V

Thanks guys. It's good to know there are guys on here that are interested in boxing as well. I love boxing and the history. And of course being from Easton, Pa home of the Champ, Larry Holmes. I would love to see some boxing items.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Good luck. If you run across an active vintage boxing memorabilia forum, email me - I would love to participate, but I have to admit that when I see boxing stuff posted here, I might look at it, but I no longer comment. Too many years of posting with zero response.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Question. With the amount of activity this area gets would it help to integrate boxing in with baseball? As it is there are never more than around 10 subjects commented on per day, and generally it's less. It wouldn't be a big deal to try it , then go back if it wasn't working well. But I am mainly a card collector, so whatever our memorabilia guys want is fine by me.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Jimmy

I think from my understanding that this area (sports memorabilia) was for baseball only, but I have seen some topics about football, hockey and sometimes boxing. I never look for it, but being from the Brockton/Boston area – we always tend to talk about boxing at our local shows. Leon, I appreciate you offering the topic for discussion and at times I forget the boxing card section is there. Just not enough time in the day, and I can only spend about 15 minutes on this site when I have a day I can look, just to check and see what is going on.

Thanks Jimmy
Old 11-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

There have been plenty of cool vintage boxing items posted here, but almost no responses to any of them. My thinking is that if there is discussion going on in the boxing sub-forum, just encourage people to post their stuff there, instead of here - that would at least prop up that area a bit. But if you moved it all over here, I think you'd get the same poor response. All it would do is pollute this area with more zero-response threads.

The same sort of thing happened ten years ago when we tried to encourage discussions about vintage photographs. No one was interested. I even created a separate forum, but it died fairly quickly. Now look at it - the subject is very popular. Basically, the lesson learned is that if there aren't many people interested in discussion a collecting area, then you can't do much about it.

I know that sounds negative - sorry. I would like to see boxing memorabilia discussions as much as anyone, but when you can't get the biggest boxing collectors to discuss things, you are kind of screwed.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Ron V

I would love to talk boxing and share some items on here. I haven't been around for all that long on this forum so I haven't seen much if any boxing material on here. Leon I appreciate you giving us a chance to incorporate boxing on this forum. I look forward to seeing where this goes and hopefully we will see more boxing collectors pop up.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Question. With the amount of activity this area gets would it help to integrate boxing in with baseball? As it is there are never more than around 10 subjects commented on per day, and generally it's less. It wouldn't be a big deal to try it , then go back if it wasn't working well. But I am mainly a card collector, so whatever our memorabilia guys want is fine by me.

Hey Leon,

Trust me when I say, you have easily the most relevant boxing forum on the internet as far as boxing cards & collectibles go. Any other place that has tried it, generally turns into a place for fight film guys to trade tapes & dvd's.

I like that this hasn't become that.

The views are there, so people are looking at stuff that goes up, many just seem to not be posting, which is common. A lot of the collectors tend to the older more private side, as evidenced that many of the biggest collectors are private feedback bidders going back to the early days of Ebay (no they are not shills LOL) before sniping tools became popular.

It's not a huge club, and they always tended to be wary of other competitors following their bidding patterns, and either bidding them up, or straight outbidding them on items they thought they had a bead on, based on some obscure search term they used.

I'm embarrassed to say, a large percentage of the original posts in that section, are for my own auction notices related to boxing, but I would be ecstatic to have more company there.

If I could pass on any suggestions, it would be to rename the forum "Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum".

Get that extra keyword in there, maybe attract a few more contributors.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Hey Leon,

Trust me when I say, you have easily the most relevant boxing forum on the internet as far as boxing cards & collectibles go. Any other place that has tried it, generally turns into a place for fight film guys to trade tapes & dvd's.

I like that this hasn't become that.

The views are there, so people are looking at stuff that goes up, many just seem to not be posting, which is common. A lot of the collectors tend to the older more private side, as evidenced that many of the biggest collectors are private feedback bidders going back to the early days of Ebay (no they are not shills LOL) before sniping tools became popular.

It's not a huge club, and they always tended to be wary of other competitors following their bidding patterns, and either bidding them up, or straight outbidding them on items they thought they had a bead on, based on some obscure search term they used.

I'm embarrassed to say, a large percentage of the original posts in that section, are for my own auction notices related to boxing, but I would be ecstatic to have more company there.

If I could pass on any suggestions, it would be to rename the forum "Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum".

Get that extra keyword in there, maybe attract a few more contributors.
Thanks for the feedback Dave et al. My MO has always been, if it isn't going to be a substantial improvement, then we leave it the way it is. I didn't see enough folks saying that incorporating boxing here (*specifically) would make our (boxing) experience much better, so it will stay the same for now. I want to do anything I can to help.

**The name of that forum section has been changed to what you suggested, Dave. Thanks again!!
Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

I forgot Dave was a boxing collector.

Dave - my only suggestion is that you and others who are interested in boxing, try to comment on items that are posted (when you notice them), even if it sort of bores you - that will encourage others to keep posting things, and eventually you will see stuff that is interesting to you. I'll try to do my part as well. If we can get Adam on board, I think we have a good chance of success. Here's my starting contribution, from last night's Legendary auction:

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks for the feedback Dave et al. My MO has always been, if it isn't going to be a substantial improvement, then we leave it the way it is. I didn't see enough folks saying that incorporating boxing here (*specifically) would make our (boxing) experience much better, so it will stay the same for now. I want to do anything I can to help.

**The name of that forum section has been changed to what you suggested, Dave. Thanks again!!

Cool beans Leon. Thanks for taking that suggestion. Don't know if it will make a difference, but it can't hurt.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I forgot Dave was a boxing collector.

Dave - my only suggestion is that you and others who are interested in boxing, try to comment on items that are posted (when you notice them), even if it sort of bores you - that will encourage others to keep posting things, and eventually you will see stuff that is interesting to you. I'll try to do my part as well. If we can get Adam on board, I think we have a good chance of success. Here's my starting contribution, from last night's Legendary auction:
Point taken Scott. I think Adam has tried to get things moving over there as well.

I'm generally a dealer, so I don't post in the Recent Pick-up threads, knowing most stuff I handle will eventually be put up for sale or auctioned, and I feel I hype my own stuff enough over there already.......plus I'm too lazy to actually scan stuff I end up keeping for myself, which isn't usually of mind-blowing quality anyways.

I do read everything posted over there when it pops up. I'll be glad to help or chime in when I can.......as long as things don't turn into a constant "Is this autograph good? Is that autograph good?" thread.

Nice pick-up BTW

Even though it's probably the least valuable of the batch, I like the Cyclone Johnny Thompson piece the most. Definitely a rarity.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Point taken Scott. I think Adam has tried to get things moving over there as well.

I'm generally a dealer, so I don't post in the Recent Pick-up threads, knowing most stuff I handle will eventually be put up for sale or auctioned, and I feel I hype my own stuff enough over there already.......plus I'm too lazy to actually scan stuff I end up keeping for myself, which isn't usually of mind-blowing quality anyways.

I do read everything posted over there when it pops up. I'll be glad to help or chime in when I can.......as long as things don't turn into a constant "Is this autograph good? Is that autograph good?" thread.

Nice pick-up BTW

Even though it's probably the least valuable of the batch, I like the Cyclone Johnny Thompson piece the most. Definitely a rarity.
Thanks Dave. I didn't realize you were a dealer, but I understand not wanting others to think you are advertising. Although, it's no big deal in the memorabilia forum - I think it's understood that many of the posters are selling everything they show us. Personally, with the exception of maybe 20 pieces, everything I own can be had at a reasonable price

I bought the postcards for the Johnson/Jeffries piece - I'm thinking of trying to remove the writing from the front.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Thanks Dave. I didn't realize you were a dealer, but I understand not wanting others to think you are advertising. Although, it's no big deal in the memorabilia forum - I think it's understood that many of the posters are selling everything they show us. Personally, with the exception of maybe 20 pieces, everything I own can be had at a reasonable price

I bought the postcards for the Johnson/Jeffries piece - I'm thinking of trying to remove the writing from the front.

Looks like fountain pen. Is that even possible without eating away the surface of the postcard? I'd leave it as is, personally. Boxing collectors are much more forgiving then baseball collectors for that type of stuff on postcards.

If you make an attempt, I'd be curious to see how it turned out.

Looks like we got a little action in the boxing forum. We'll see if it keeps up.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You could try to clean it but I'd just leave it alone. As a composite of the two images shown below it is unique and would not deter a boxing PC collector from wanting it. I would have chased it except that I did not want to buy and then have to turn out the other two in the lot.

As for the boxing and other non-baseball fora, I'd prefer they stay separate from memorabilia and autographs. If something has dual potential I list it in both sections.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-23-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Belltown Vintage

Those are cool Adam - thanks for showing them.

I will refrain from attempting to remove the ink. I would never have thought of doing it, but there was a recent post indicating that ink signatures can be easily removed from baseball cards. I figured it might be worth trying on this one as well.